Incorrect call by officials that possibly change outcome of game.

Started by TomM, September 08, 2013, 06:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Does this happen to all NFL teams?  Last year Seattle game and maybe the call today on the out of bounds hit calls would have changed the outcome of the game (score wise).
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

DrSnide

Or Boldin's blatant push off on the 4th down play >:(

Although what McCarthy was thinking taking the 5 yard penalty before the Mathews penalty is beyond me.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Drivingforce

Quote from: TomM on September 08, 2013, 06:43:23 PM
Does this happen to all NFL teams?  Last year Seattle game and maybe the call today on the out of bounds hit calls would have changed the outcome of the game (score wise).
Absolutlely correct, the ref's blew the call but the game was lost by our Oline and our secondary. With regards to the secondary, continued poor tackling, receivers routinely WIDE open- guys not within 5 yards of the receivers. Either it's scheme or it's lack of ability. McMillen was awful as was Brad Jones. Shields and Williams looked lost. Oline just can't play. On the final play, 3 man rush and Rodgers has 2.4 seconds before he got hit. Pathetic.

Finley gave an interception when he bobbled a ball that hit him in the belly. Turnovers and penalties= loss.

On the bright side, Matthews was sensational except for the stupid penalty and the Dline was great against the run. Still zero pass rush other than Matthews, Perry offered nothing.

wraslfan

Quote from: Drivingforce on September 08, 2013, 07:00:35 PM
On the final play, 3 man rush and Rodgers has 2.4 seconds before he got hit. Pathetic.
Exactly. Pathetic...I know, it's only the first game, but that drove me nuts the whole game.

Ghetto

Not having Morgan Burnett back there to run the show made for a disastrous showing against Anquan Boldin, who was ready to retire a few years ago. He's ok, but he's nowhere near the ability level of Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, or even Greg Jennings, who the Packers are going to have to play twice each.

Nick Perry is a bust. I'm calling it already. He was a hand in the dirt DE that TT thought he could make into an outside linebacker. He simply can't do the job. He's a statue in coverage, and he has one pass rush move, the bull rush.

Did Datone Jones play at all today?

While the call was wrong, the Packers had a chance to stop them. Maybe they go for it there on 4th and 2 anyway. Hard to say. It's not the conservative call, but neither was going for it after not pulling the Packers off-sides at the end.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

Clay played great; but his one bonehead move cost us 4 points.

I think we can hang with anyone of our secondary finds their nuts and the o-line can get some running, (w/out penalties).

We made more mistakes than they did; they won, we didn't.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

The Last Ride

Other than the last play and the holding calls by Sitton the line played pretty good considering who they were playing.. We won't be facing a front like that very often. The way everyone was talking Rodgers was going to be sacked 10 to 12 times in this game..

+ Jordy and Cobb were money
+ Rodgers ( only thing that bugs me is on 3rd and short he will throw it 20 yards down field sometimes) need to keep the chains moving.
+ Masthay He gets us out of a lot of bad field positions.. and on one kickoff or punt he showed better tackling skills then our DB's And his kickoffs are great!
+ Lacy after the fumble looks like he could be good. Like I said the 49'ers have a good front and LB's
+ Matthews minus the late hit out of bounds
+ Packers D line played great. They stoped the run and contained Kap in the pocket

- Turnovers and mistakes, Finley's missed catch to interception. Would have had a first down on the 49'ers 40. Lacy turn over on the 14 yard line. Sitton with a couple of      bad penalties on some plays that were good ones for us.
- Either the defensive scheme on the backend, or Jerome M and Jennings have no business playing in the NFL
- Brad Jones looked lost and could not cover anyone.
- Ross should be cut. period

"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

The Last Ride

Quote from: Ghetto on September 08, 2013, 08:50:41 PM
Not having Morgan Burnett back there to run the show made for a disastrous showing against Anquan Boldin, who was ready to retire a few years ago. He's ok, but he's nowhere near the ability level of Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, or even Greg Jennings, who the Packers are going to have to play twice each.

Nick Perry is a bust. I'm calling it already. He was a hand in the dirt DE that TT thought he could make into an outside linebacker. He simply can't do the job. He's a statue in coverage, and he has one pass rush move, the bull rush.

Did Datone Jones play at all today?

While the call was wrong, the Packers had a chance to stop them. Maybe they go for it there on 4th and 2 anyway. Hard to say. It's not the conservative call, but neither was going for it after not pulling the Packers off-sides at the end.
I heard that the goal of the D-Line was to contain Kap. They were not full out rush because they did not want Kap to step up through lanes and beat us with his feet like he did before. The problem was on the back end. They looked lost. Maybe they were worried about Kap taking off and running but they did not tackle all that well either. I know when the QB has more time it is harder to stay with the receiver that long but that was their plan
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

bigG

Masthay sure showed more guts than any of our secondary in tackling. Shields got burned a few times, too. Just has great speed to cover for blown coverage at times.

Still, I like our team and was pleasantly surprised by the way the D stepped up. SF had not major mistakes, save for some penalties. They deserved the win.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

I agree. Not as concerned about the loss. A break here or there and its a different ballgame. If Williams catches Kapernick's first pass, it's 7-0. There was only green grass in front of him.

If the 49ers are the best team in football, I feel good about the Packers. Seattle looked horrible yesterday. Denver is likely gonna run away with the AFC, barring a Manning injury.

DrSnide

For what its worth, here's my take on it:

* GB went to SF who is many regard as the best team in the league for their home opener and could have easily won (even had a lead with 8 minutes to go) despite a plus 2 turnover margin, a significan error in officiating which allowed a SF TD, missing argueably the two best members of your secondary - including the QB of the defensive backfield, and several  missed opportunities.  While frustrating this is hardly the end of the world

* Interesting stat:  GB offensive line gave up two sacks and had a 3.3 rushing average going against what is widely regarded as the best defensive (and certainly best front 7) in the league.  SF Offensive line (again, widely considered one of the best in the league) gave up 2 sacks and had a 2.6 yeard rushing average.  So is the GB OL better than advertised, their front 7 better than advertised, or a mixture of both.  

* Morgan Burnett and Casey Hayworth were missed badly.  I wanted Hyde to be moved to S at the start of training camp, not so much because of his skils but weakness in the S spot.  I think I still do.  

* GB's offense looked like it had wore down the vaunted SF DL by the end of the game when Lacey was running 5 yards a clip - I don't remember the last time I seen GB accompoish that

* I think the "contain" strategy on Kapernick was the way to go but maybe should have blitzed a safety once in a while.  Heck send McMillian, its not like he was actually covering anyone in the secondary anyways.  :P

* Still think McCarthy made a mistake taking the penalty.  All the attenditon on the officals cheating up the call and Mathews late hit glosses over the fact that GB had SF in the exact same postion at 4th down but McCarthy took the penalty giving SF another chance.

* Ross has to go, he put the Packers in the hole several times and they never were able to win th efieled position battle  in large part to his mental errors.

In the end turnovers kill and we seen that Sunday.  The good news is that is not a common trait for McCarthy teams

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

bkraus

I think it was a great game by two great teams.  Yeah our team lost.  We could've easily won just the same.  Bottom line is we could not cover anyone, especially Bolden.

Ross did make mistakes that were costly.  But calling for him to be cut will accomplish what?  Who do you propose they can honestly replace him with?
Strive for Perfection

Drivingforce

Quote from: DrSnide on September 09, 2013, 09:31:09 AM
For what its worth, here's my take on it:

* GB went to SF who is many regard as the best team in the league for their home opener and could have easily won (even had a lead with 8 minutes to go) despite a plus 2 turnover margin, a significan error in officiating which allowed a SF TD, missing argueably the two best members of your secondary - including the QB of the defensive backfield, and several  missed opportunities.  While frustrating this is hardly the end of the world

* Interesting stat:  GB offensive line gave up two sacks and had a 3.3 rushing average going against what is widely regarded as the best defensive (and certainly best front 7) in the league.  SF Offensive line (again, widely considered one of the best in the league) gave up 2 sacks and had a 2.6 yeard rushing average.  So is the GB OL better than advertised, their front 7 better than advertised, or a mixture of both.  

* Morgan Burnett and Casey Hayworth were missed badly.  I wanted Hyde to be moved to S at the start of training camp, not so much because of his skils but weakness in the S spot.  I think I still do.  

* GB's offense looked like it had wore down the vaunted SF DL by the end of the game when Lacey was running 5 yards a clip - I don't remember the last time I seen GB accompoish that

* I think the "contain" strategy on Kapernick was the way to go but maybe should have blitzed a safety once in a while.  Heck send McMillian, its not like he was actually covering anyone in the secondary anyways.  :P

* Still think McCarthy made a mistake taking the penalty.  All the attenditon on the officals cheating up the call and Mathews late hit glosses over the fact that GB had SF in the exact same postion at 4th down but McCarthy took the penalty giving SF another chance.

* Ross has to go, he put the Packers in the hole several times and they never were able to win th efieled position battle  in large part to his mental errors.

In the end turnovers kill and we seen that Sunday.  The good news is that is not a common trait for McCarthy teams

Gotta disagree with a couple of things, namely Oline play which was not good. Packers ran mostly short routes to keep pressure off. 3.3 yards per carry is lousy, I don't care who you're playing. The final sack was against a 3 man rush and Rodgers never had a chance, he was on the ground in just over 2 seconds. If that's solid Oline play I guess our standards of excellence are different. If I were going to cut anyone, it'd be McMillen.

Todd

My thoughts were that the penalty was lucky to be offsetting but it was and it turned out to be the wrong call if he penalized both players.  The Oline is gonna screw any chance of a good running game.  What is up with Sitton???  He had over 50% of the penalties!  Finley continues to make mistakes that cost the team games.  That should have been an easy catch instead it goes the other way because he can't consistently catch the ball!  Secondary was burnt toast, hopefully Hayworth and Burnett can get back in there and lend some help!

Packers were out coached.  

The Packers to me played a lot better and I'm less concerned right now than I was in preseason but they have lots of work to do.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Ghetto

There's no way that three guys should be able to get a sack vs. 5 guys.

That said, I thought the line play was improved. SF averaged 2.6 yards per carry. Going on the logic used, their line stinks worse than the Packers? Not sure I'd agree with that. In every game, there's a combination of factors.

I get that the Packers played zone because they didnt' want DBs running with their backs turned to Kapernick as he ran to the end zone. Still, mix things up, take a chance once in a while. NFL QB's can figure out your zone if its all you play the entire game.

Ross' indecisiveness cost them field position what, three times? He also seemed pretty slow. Maybe the SF kicker was getting good hang time. Hard to tell on TV.