WIAA strikes again

Started by dforsythe, February 04, 2018, 07:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequad

Can a wrestler turn down or refuse to take a win for a bye?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

crossface21

Quote from: bulldog on February 05, 2018, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: dforsythe on February 04, 2018, 07:16:33 AM
Yesterday at our conference tournament, the WIAA allowed a Lomira wrestler to wrestle in his 8th multi-school event. Apparently Lomira has found a way around the rules. According to the WIAA, you can enter your wrestlers in 7 varsity tournaments and 7 JV tournaments. So next year, we all might as well enter our varsity in the JV state series, because it doesn't count against your maximum events. Inconsistency at its finest folks.

I don't know the full story behind this but I believe the rule was 7 tournaments and 7 dual meets. It does not matter if it is varsity or JV. If you go to 5 varsity tournaments and 2 JV tournaments you are done for the year except regionals and sectionals (I can't recall if conference counts as one...but I think it does...because some schools have dumped the conference tournament and have picked up another tournament in the season)

Conference Tournaments do count as one of the 7 tournaments.

bigoil

Quote from: thequad on February 05, 2018, 12:01:57 PM

You don't get a win for a bye, unless you win the next match, then that win essentially counts as two wins. Not your fault the team didn't have someone to put on the mat.

Why would you not want to take the win?

thequad

Quote from: bigoil on February 05, 2018, 12:26:43 PM
Quote from: thequad on February 05, 2018, 12:01:57 PM

You don't get a win for a bye, unless you win the next match, then that win essentially counts as two wins. Not your fault the team didn't have someone to put on the mat.

Why would you not want to take the win?
this is to in reference to keeping your total number of matches down if there is a limit on number of matches you can have going regionals.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: CoachZ on February 05, 2018, 07:23:39 AM
I would much rather  have 7&7 or a 14 total  than a match count.

Never had anybody agree with me and I don't expect I will now, but I sincerely feel 50 practices are way tougher on a body than 7x7 or 14 total... I know, I know, the making of weight takes its toll...still, there are a whole lot of wrestlers that aren't cutting much to at all...especially if they wrestle JV in an open tournament format as opposed to duals.

littleguy301

match count or something like a max of 15 weigh ins before state.

how about that. I think that would also inprove the JV because you have to plug them in to watch match counts.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet