WIAA strikes again

Started by dforsythe, February 04, 2018, 07:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dforsythe

Yesterday at our conference tournament, the WIAA allowed a Lomira wrestler to wrestle in his 8th multi-school event. Apparently Lomira has found a way around the rules. According to the WIAA, you can enter your wrestlers in 7 varsity tournaments and 7 JV tournaments. So next year, we all might as well enter our varsity in the JV state series, because it doesn't count against your maximum events. Inconsistency at its finest folks.

dforsythe

A little background information. The last time this happened at our conference tournament was when Lomira was scared Laconia would beat them. Lomira showed up at weigh-ins with evidence that 2 of Laconia's wrestlers had wrestled in a JV tournament and were over the limit and thus ineligible. In that case, the WIAA ruled that the Laconia wrestlers could not wrestle. Apparently the loophole changes for Lomira.

ramjet

There is more to this story than just your obvious biased rendition.

Ivan Stankowski

I think someone has a sore behind

MARSHDOC

I haven't seen the rulebook, but JV tournaments seem like they shouldn't count towards actual tournaments.  Most kids on the JV squad are still developing. 

ElectricGuy

Quote from: getyourpoints on February 04, 2018, 01:03:24 PM
The whole 7&7 rule maybe one of the dumbest rules any State enforces.
Just make it 14 events JV, open college, dual or tournaments.
Let the coaches manage there teams the way that works for there communities.

Rules don't don't create culture.

So we would have kids coming into regionals with potentially 70 matches wrestled......    ::)

There is a reason for the 7 and 7 rule,  Careful what you ask for could be like other state with lower match counts.
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

DocWrestling

The way conferences have been changed around and such already.  I wish they would just create sport specific conferences based on success and no matter the division.  This would work so well in wrestling.

Take northeast Wisconsin.  Create a wrestling conference with the top teams from the FVA and FVRC and then add in teams like Lux-Casco.  Have tiers of conferences and run in like the European model where bottom two teams in tier 1 drop to tier 2 the next year and the top 2 teams in tier 1 move up to tier 1.

Now these teams get what works best for them and generates excitement.

Can you imagine this conference?  Don't make them too big so then they can have freedom to schedule other traditional duals if they wanted

Tier 1 (7 teams)  Kaukauna, Neenah, Pulaski, Bay Port, Lux-Casco, Freedom, and Coleman
Tier 2 (7 Teams) Ashwaubenon, Green Bay Preble, Appleton North, Oshkosh West, Denmark, Two Rivers
Tier 3 (7 teams) Hortonville. Kimberly, DePere, Wrightstown, Shiocton, Kewaunee, ????
Tier 4 ?????
Tier 5  ????

This would be awesome for the best teams but probably would make duals in the lower tiers unbearable.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

DocWrestling

Quote from: getyourpoints on February 04, 2018, 06:27:12 PM
14 events with a 45 match count would allow the coaches to line up all the match ups you said.

45 matches going into regionals or sectionals fixes so many of the issues discussed on this forum.
Top tear states line up duals and quads with other ranked teams and teams struggling with numbers line up duals and quads with similar teams.
Less rules is better for the sport.

I do think a match limit would work better.

CoachZ

I would much rather  have 7&7 or a 14 total  than a match count.

wrastle63

Quote from: getyourpoints on February 05, 2018, 08:30:45 AM
Quote from: CoachZ on February 05, 2018, 07:23:39 AM
14 events x 3 matches = 42 matches
You would not have any limitations in your schedule to book Duals, Quads or tournaments.
How could 7&7 possibly be better?
42 matches would be great!

aarons23

Just thowing this out there....MN has 16 events , no rule on number of duals and tournaments and 45 matches before sectionals.  It seems to give more flexibility and even opportunity for others to get in the line up.  Having 16 events helps if you have a wrestler who gets ill or injured make up some time.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

CoachZ

Quote from: getyourpoints on February 05, 2018, 08:30:45 AM
Quote from: CoachZ on February 05, 2018, 07:23:39 AM
14 events x 3 matches = 42 matches
You would not have any limitations in your schedule to book Duals, Quads or tournaments.
How could 7&7 possibly be better?

Personally for me, I prefer to just have my schedule set. It's really not that hard to make sure you only have 7 duals and 7 tournaments. If you go to bigger tournaments you're getting more than 3 matches.

Having a match count is just one more thing to worry about throughout the year. If my schedule is set correctly, there isn't anything to worry about. If coaches get it wrong or attempt to fudge it and they get caught, that's on them.
This is just my opinion on the matter, doesn't mean it's right. You do you.

Armdrag

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 04, 2018, 04:33:34 PM
The way conferences have been changed around and such already.  I wish they would just create sport specific conferences based on success and no matter the division.  This would work so well in wrestling.

Take northeast Wisconsin.  Create a wrestling conference with the top teams from the FVA and FVRC and then add in teams like Lux-Casco.  Have tiers of conferences and run in like the European model where bottom two teams in tier 1 drop to tier 2 the next year and the top 2 teams in tier 1 move up to tier 1.

Now these teams get what works best for them and generates excitement.

Can you imagine this conference?  Don't make them too big so then they can have freedom to schedule other traditional duals if they wanted

Tier 1 (7 teams)  Kaukauna, Neenah, Pulaski, Bay Port, Lux-Casco, Freedom, and Coleman
Tier 2 (7 Teams) Ashwaubenon, Green Bay Preble, Appleton North, Oshkosh West, Denmark, Two Rivers
Tier 3 (7 teams) Hortonville. Kimberly, DePere, Wrightstown, Shiocton, Kewaunee, ????
Tier 4 ?????
Tier 5  ????

This would be awesome for the best teams but probably would make duals in the lower tiers unbearable.

You would have conferences switching from year to year based on success.....seems like a logistical and scheduling nightmare........from your example Wrightstown a tier 3 team based on success? they have won a few state titles, hardly a tier 3 team IMHO........Hortonville a tier 3 team, two years removed from a State tournament appearance and beating all the above listed tier one and two teams except Kaukauna...........just saying one year a team could be tier one, the next a tier 3 based on how well they rebuilt or reloaded...........how would you schedule that from year to year then? Not knocking the idea, just brainstorming how to make it work?!!

DocWrestling

I agree it would not be easy and would be a nightmare probably for AD's but think it would work quite well all sports but wrestling is honestly one of those sports where division does not matter for the top teams.  Don't hold me to the teams and tiers I created since they were created in 5 minutes.

Not going to ever happen so not going to spend much time thinking it out but it would take work.

Divide up regions not by division but geography.

I would then group by tiers maybe only with 6 teams in a tier so they get five duals they have to wrestle but then can pick up two other duals against whoever they want.  Other sports would likely have more teams in their tier.

I would base tiers solely on last year's success and projected lineup for upcoming year.  All could be done the week after the state tournament.  Honestly a committee could create the tiers and schedules just meeting at the state tournament.

bulldog

Quote from: dforsythe on February 04, 2018, 07:16:33 AM
Yesterday at our conference tournament, the WIAA allowed a Lomira wrestler to wrestle in his 8th multi-school event. Apparently Lomira has found a way around the rules. According to the WIAA, you can enter your wrestlers in 7 varsity tournaments and 7 JV tournaments. So next year, we all might as well enter our varsity in the JV state series, because it doesn't count against your maximum events. Inconsistency at its finest folks.

I don't know the full story behind this but I believe the rule was 7 tournaments and 7 dual meets. It does not matter if it is varsity or JV. If you go to 5 varsity tournaments and 2 JV tournaments you are done for the year except regionals and sectionals (I can't recall if conference counts as one...but I think it does...because some schools have dumped the conference tournament and have picked up another tournament in the season)