Great Day to be a Badger 10/16

Started by head57, October 16, 2023, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: bigoil on October 23, 2023, 11:51:44 AM
Quote from: Grapl on October 23, 2023, 11:12:06 AM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on October 23, 2023, 09:11:56 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 23, 2023, 06:16:23 AMThere was a whole bunch of D1 schools that didn't think Stephen Buchanon was worthy of a scholarship too.

That is a great post! Steven Monk was another WI wrestler who was not on everyone's radar and had a great college career.

Ryan Williams from ODU made it all the way to NCAA finals in 2009. I remember during the broadcast they said that he had never won a state or national championship at any level. I just looked him up and he was a 2 time state qualifier in PA with a DNP and a 7th place finish.

Granted that is PA which is brutal but point being is you never really know how a young man is going to develop in college. Get as many high character hard working wrestlers as you can in the room and see what happens. Not every AA was a 3 or 4 time state champ.
vsmf2010 - I like the way you are thinking.  You are correct on many levels, the question is development. Please help me in naming a recent Badger wrestler that the current coaching staff has developed?  Some may say Barnett.  He was a cadet Fargo champ coming in so I think he was already developed.  People on here seem to be in the know so let it rip. 
I'm sure it is in the eye of the beholder but here is my quick response, many more but these were top of mind.

Barnett - has definitely developed, his ride game and counter TD are exceptional
Zargo - DNP at NJ States
Model - clearly got better, a lot of this was his motor but each week you could see one small thing, don't cut him because he's shooting in on you with his long arms and likely getting a TD.
Hamiti - Keeps getting better, though he was a stud admittedly, though wasn't expected to AA as a true freshman.
Gomez - certainly was good but he was not a guy knocking off P4P the best wrestler in dominating fashion.
Hilger - I don't think he was expected to be a 4X AA.

Model is a great example. Was not really on the national recruiting radar coming out of HS and he had 3 wins over top 20 wrestlers last season and a win over Brayton Lee the year before.

I would also add Seth Gross. He was 26-14 as a RS freshman in his first year with South Dakota State.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: wrastle63 on October 23, 2023, 07:48:58 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 23, 2023, 06:16:23 AMThere was a whole bunch of D1 schools that didn't think Stephen Buchanon was worthy of a scholarship too.
Yea look how that turned out. I am all in favor of getting as many WI kids as we can in the WI room. Obviously he didn't get a full scholarship, but if he is a good kid and a hard worker then it is never a bad thing to get another recruit.

That was a Wrestler who...if the story I've heard is accurate(one of those I've heard from a person who knew a person who knew the coach...but a very reliable source) had to beg Minnesota to just watch his video. He took 5th in D3 as a Jr, didn't have big wins in the off-season, didn't Wrestle a lot.
Minnesota was in on a big time recruit, but this kid and his mother sent clippings to J.R every week, tapes of his matches, etc...

I BELIEVE it was Marty Morgan. Robinson asked him how the guy they were looking at did out at Sr Natl's. After not being given a rigning endorsement, he made the remark, 'the kid who's been sending us his clippings every week all year really worked him over."

That was Tim Hartung and he went...what, 3/1/1 or 5/2/1/1? I know he came in as an '84 in Les Gutches weight and then came back with John Kading and Fullart...who he'd stop the following 2 years.

So...yeah, further evidence why a College coach should only post "good day to be a Badger," after running it past BadgerOne!

BadgerOne

Quote from: Vir Fortis on November 13, 2023, 04:23:16 AM
Quote from: wrastle63 on October 23, 2023, 07:48:58 AM
Yea look how that turned out. I am all in favor of getting as many WI kids as we can in the WI room. Obviously he didn't get a full scholarship, but if he is a good kid and a hard worker then it is never a bad thing to get another recruit.

That was a Wrestler who...if the story I've heard is accurate(one of those I've heard from a person who knew a person who knew the coach...but a very reliable source) had to beg Minnesota to just watch his video. He took 5th in D3 as a Jr, didn't have big wins in the off-season, didn't Wrestle a lot.
Minnesota was in on a big time recruit, but this kid and his mother sent clippings to J.R every week, tapes of his matches, etc...

I BELIEVE it was Marty Morgan. Robinson asked him how the guy they were looking at did out at Sr Natl's. After not being given a rigning endorsement, he made the remark, 'the kid who's been sending us his clippings every week all year really worked him over."

That was Tim Hartung and he went...what, 3/1/1 or 5/2/1/1? I know he came in as an '84 in Les Gutches weight and then came back with John Kading and Fullart...who he'd stop the following 2 years.

So...yeah, further evidence why a College coach should only post "good day to be a Badger," after running it past BadgerOne!
More proof that  VirFortis is a nut!  Get some help, dude! Your obsession with me is unhealthy.

No One Cares

Danny Heiser from Evansville just committed to Missouri.  Ryan Taylor trained, but thanked Ben Askren for his help the last "few months."

Ghetto

Quote from: No One Cares on November 24, 2023, 07:26:59 PMDanny Heiser from Evansville just committed to Missouri.  Ryan Taylor trained, but thanked Ben Askren for his help the last "few months."

Ah Ryan Taylor. Loved that dude. One of my favorite Badger memories was him running by the Iowa crowd at Big Tens in Madison. Glad he's still involved in wrestling.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

charteroak1

That's a nice get for Missouri.  Best of luck to him. 

No One Cares

Cole Mirasola beat Dillan Johnson 5-4 at 285 at the Dan Gable Donnybrook on a takedown at the end.  Hopefully the script is flipped next year when they both start for PSU and UW.  8)  Connor Mirasola dominated on his way to a title of his own.