2019 Individual Sectionals / Interesting Results and Noteworthy News

Started by TomM, February 16, 2019, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micah

Quote from: Numbers on February 17, 2019, 01:31:50 PM
Quote from: Wrestlologist on February 17, 2019, 11:58:01 AM
Quote from: Luke Louison on February 17, 2019, 11:51:16 AM
Anyone got the skinny on this Schoenherr Med FF to Martinson in the sectional semis? Schoenherr wrestled back afterward?

Maybe they expect to meet up again at State Finals and don't want to show each other their stuff again?  The Martinson win vs. Schoenherr last Wednesday at Team Sectionals surprised some fans.  Earlier on Saturday, Coleman forfeited to Cian Fischer at 120 in the Sectional Semifinals. In the many sectionals I have attended, I think this was the first time I have ever seen this.  And then we saw it again the same day with Schoenerr and Martinson later in the same round.

Maybe Micah should be checking the matrix used in D2/D3 for possible state bracketing quirks?

Ha maybe but with only 4 sectionals I would think that matrix would be fairly easy to complete instead of doing 10% on one and just rolling with it.

Micah

Quote from: Micah on February 17, 2019, 02:36:49 PM
Quote from: Numbers on February 17, 2019, 01:31:50 PM
Quote from: Wrestlologist on February 17, 2019, 11:58:01 AM
Quote from: Luke Louison on February 17, 2019, 11:51:16 AM
Anyone got the skinny on this Schoenherr Med FF to Martinson in the sectional semis? Schoenherr wrestled back afterward?

Maybe they expect to meet up again at State Finals and don't want to show each other their stuff again?  The Martinson win vs. Schoenherr last Wednesday at Team Sectionals surprised some fans.  Earlier on Saturday, Coleman forfeited to Cian Fischer at 120 in the Sectional Semifinals. In the many sectionals I have attended, I think this was the first time I have ever seen this.  And then we saw it again the same day with Schoenerr and Martinson later in the same round.

Maybe Micah should be checking the matrix used in D2/D3 for possible state bracketing quirks?

Ha maybe but with only 4 sectionals I would think that matrix would be fairly easy to complete instead of doing 10% on one and just rolling with it.

D2 and D3 state matrix looks complete 👍🏻

1Iota

Quote from: NoFooForU on February 16, 2019, 11:58:11 PM
Quote from: 1Iota on February 16, 2019, 05:09:38 PM
Quote from: Numbers on February 16, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
Mukwonago had quite the day with all 14 placing at sectionals

7 1st, 4 2nd, 2 3rd, 1 4th

36-9  6 decisions, 7 majors, 6 techs, 17 pins

When you have more wins by fall than losses and wins by decision combined - that is some domination!

That kind of supports what I wrote.  Milwaukee area sectionals. 
Mukwonago has a very deep team that I have said all along is the one team that could upend Stoughton, but these numbers are helped by being placed in a Milwaukee area sectional. 

You question the depth that the Section Mukwonago was in... go see some of the others before making that statement.  The Section that Burlington, Arrowhead, Slinger were at.... by far not as talented.

thequad

At the Freedom sectional, the Valders regional had 17 of 28 wrestlers qualify for state. That is over 40% of the qualifiers from Freedom sectional.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

foose4

Quote from: thequad on February 17, 2019, 04:38:28 PM
At the Freedom sectional, the Valders regional had 17 of 28 wrestlers qualify for state. That is over 40% of the qualifiers from Freedom sectional.

Same for the Edgar regional at Shawano.  17 kids qualified for state
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

goldengrappler

Hm Trevor Steiner (Stratford) beating #4 John Bieber (Coleman), Steiner has been an unrecognized force this year I can't wait to see what he does at state this weekend.

thequad

Quote from: thequad on February 17, 2019, 04:38:28 PM
Not 1 dominant team here.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

bigoil

Quote from: Luke Louison on February 18, 2019, 02:42:28 PM
Of course the toughest regional in the state was Lancaster. Not to take away the pride I've noticed so many of the northest folk take in that regional, but it wasn't that close.

Lancaster sent 28 to sectionals, as all regionals do. They had 24 get through to state. It isn't that they produced 7 more qualifiers than any other regional, but of those 24, they consisted of 13- 1st, 10- 2nd, and 1- 3rd. The only bracket in the Mineral Point sectional not taken by a wrestler from the Lancaster regional was at 160, where Colton Clary edged Maguire Fitzgerald (Fennimore, Lancaster regional), 5-4.

Lancaster Regional at Mineral Point Sectional:
106: 1st / 2nd
113: 1st / 2nd
120: 1st
126: 1st / 2nd
132: 1st / 2nd
138: 1st / 2nd
145: 1st
152: 1st
160: 2nd
170: 1st / 3rd
182: 1st / 2nd
195: 1st / 2nd
220: 1st / 2nd
285: 1st / 2nd

I think you are wrong on this one  even though I don't agree that is a good measure of the difficulty. Pewaukee regional has to be considered with a slightly different spin because it is D1.  D1 sends more kids out of a regional 56 however Pewaukee Regional accounted for 24/28 qualifying spots.

24/28 qualifers from one regional. 13 out of 14 champions.

crossface21

Racine Park Sectional:  24 of the 28 qualifiers came from the Burlington Regional and with that 11 of the 14 champs.

bigoil

Quote from: crossface21 on February 18, 2019, 03:10:58 PM
Racine Park Sectional:  24 of the 28 qualifiers came from the Burlington Regional and with that 11 of the 14 champs.
Pewaukee beat you with the 13 champs :)

ramjet

Quote from: Luke Louison on February 18, 2019, 02:42:28 PM
Of course the toughest regional in the state was Lancaster. Not to take away the pride I've noticed so many of the northest folk take in that regional, but it wasn't that close.

Lancaster sent 28 to sectionals, as all regionals do. They had 24 get through to state. It isn't that they produced 7 more qualifiers than any other regional, but of those 24, they consisted of 13- 1st, 10- 2nd, and 1- 3rd. The only bracket in the Mineral Point sectional not taken by a wrestler from the Lancaster regional was at 160, where Colton Clary edged Maguire Fitzgerald (Fennimore, Lancaster regional), 5-4.

Lancaster Regional at Mineral Point Sectional:
106: 1st / 2nd
113: 1st / 2nd
120: 1st
126: 1st / 2nd
132: 1st / 2nd
138: 1st / 2nd
145: 1st
152: 1st
160: 2nd
170: 1st / 3rd
182: 1st / 2nd
195: 1st / 2nd
220: 1st / 2nd
285: 1st / 2nd

Lets see after State before you crown any King.... Then this may be more pertinent.

grasshopper

Quote from: TechFall119 on February 17, 2019, 12:53:45 PM
Quote from: imnofish on February 17, 2019, 12:09:08 PM
Quote from: TechFall119 on February 16, 2019, 07:34:47 PM
Jared Stricker of Ashland is out, lost to Bonte, 4-2 then in wrestle back against somerset kid. Stricker was 5th last year at state.

Brown from Northwestern, place winner for Bayfield last year, lost against Nichols in finals

Carroll from Spooner, loses to Grewe, then grewe loses later in wrestle backs. Only loss of the year for Carroll was to Grewe, neither make it to state.

Carroll suffered a debilitating leg injury, while competing the opening takedown in this match.  He did his best to finish with a win, but couldn't put pressure on that leg and thus had no drive to finish any of his moves.  Sad to see such an outcome for any kid, let alone a great wrestler like Carroll.

Imnofish,

Thank you for this update! I never would have known. That is very interesting. That is sad, sounds kind of like a rare/freak thing. I remember when Jack Duerst from Boyceville had a pretty serious knee injury and somehow pulled off winning state in 2009, I believe. Do you recall this? maybe it was not as serious as I remember...but I know he was in quite a bit of pain, and couldn't do too much. A lot of mobility was gone.

If I remember correctly Duerst suffered a torn meniscus at the beginning of the state tournament series, then it significantly worsened before Sectionals. I do remember that he was forced to have surgery the day after individual sectionals then was able to win state and finish the season undefeated the following weekend. Pretty crazy story, then again nothing shocks me when it comes to these top notch wrestlers. (Anyone who remembers him from his corner of the state would agree that even on one leg he could physically outmatch almost any wrestler he came across.)

WIWRESTLING1010

Quote from: TechFall119 on February 16, 2019, 10:14:28 PM
Henschel from West Bend East didn't make it. After a great match with Spuhler yet again, then losing the 2nd place match.

Can someone please explain to me what happened here??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFx9YdLPaGc&t=603s

The match starts at 3:41. I can't believe more people weren't talking about this match since Henschel beat Spuhler twice this year and Spuhler walked through the state tournament!!

imnofish

Quote from: WIWRESTLING1010 on February 28, 2019, 09:35:28 AM
Quote from: TechFall119 on February 16, 2019, 10:14:28 PM
Henschel from West Bend East didn't make it. After a great match with Spuhler yet again, then losing the 2nd place match.

Can someone please explain to me what happened here??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFx9YdLPaGc&t=603s

The match starts at 3:41. I can't believe more people weren't talking about this match since Henschel beat Spuhler twice this year and Spuhler walked through the state tournament!!

With all the editing, it's hard to determine what happened at the end of the finals match, but I give the kid credit for owning up to the obvious by stating that he just couldn't defend a single leg takedown.  What really impresses me is his attitude in response to this chain of events.  He is looking at the big picture and will surely grow as a wrestler, leader, teammate, and person, in response to this disappointment.  I've never seen him wrestle before, but he just gained me as a new fan.  I hope he wins it all next year.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

WIWRESTLING1010

Agreed 100%

I understand the video is not great which is why I was hoping that someone that was actually there could chime in

This is what I saw --> The ref is signaling no takedown at the end of the match with time expired (He never gives control and it doesn't appear Spuhler is even that close to control), then gets called to the head table and has a conversation (not with the other ref but with the table workers), then heads back to the center and appears to ask the ref if he saw anything and has a conversation right next to the two competitors (the assistant ref shakes his head no), and all of a sudden Spuhler is awarded 2?!?!?

Idk maybe I am missing something but I can't understand this one. Also, kudos to Henschel for acting the way he did after the call. He didn't even question the call and acted very mature in this situation!!