2019 Individual Sectionals / Interesting Results and Noteworthy News

Started by TomM, February 16, 2019, 09:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog

132 Appleton North Sect - Max Sanderfoot (Kimberly) def Sam Bruss SV 4-2 was exciting first round match but Max Sanderfoot def Noah Leisgang 5-4 was an awesome match. Sanderfoot should be exciting to watch at State.

mojo123

Nolan Paar continued his senior season winning sectionals with his 102nd career pin

ramjet

Derrick Morevac Laona/Wabeno took 1st at 152 Bonduel Sectional and getting his 150th career win.

padre

Quote from: TechFall119 on February 16, 2019, 10:14:28 PM
Henschel from West Bend East didn't make it. After a great match with Spuhler yet again, then losing the 2nd place match.

I am still shocked at Drexler...Undefeated and a Bi-State Champion not even making it to state. Unreal. Plus he had a bye his first match, just needed to win 1! needed to beat Grzybowski again...(way easier said then done)

If he hadn't had a bye he'd have pinned whoever it was. Great match with Grzy...loses a heartbreaker..ahead against Greening and the spladle worked.  Crazy yes...tons of great kids went home from that sectional without a trip to state.  Trust me he will be back with a vengeance.

I will say when it happened it brought the roof down there.

herewego

All the Drexler's are tough and great people. That sucks for Gavin, but he will come back from this. Hats off to the kid that beat him.

NoFooForU

Quote from: 1Iota on February 16, 2019, 05:09:38 PM
Quote from: Numbers on February 16, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
Mukwonago had quite the day with all 14 placing at sectionals

7 1st, 4 2nd, 2 3rd, 1 4th

36-9  6 decisions, 7 majors, 6 techs, 17 pins

When you have more wins by fall than losses and wins by decision combined - that is some domination!

Mukwonago has a very deep team that I have said all along is the one team that could upend Stoughton, but these numbers are helped by being placed in a Milwaukee area sectional. 

You question the depth that the Section Mukwonago was in... go see some of the others before making that statement.  The Section that Burlington, Arrowhead, Slinger were at.... by far not as talented.

ramjet

Quote from: padre on February 16, 2019, 10:32:12 PM
Henschel from West Bend East didn't make it. After a great match with Spuhler yet again, then losing the 2nd place match.

I am still shocked at Drexler...Undefeated and a Bi-State Champion not even making it to state. Unreal. Plus he had a bye his first match, just needed to win 1! needed to beat Grzybowski again...(way easier said then done)

If he hadn't had a bye he'd have pinned whoever it was. Great match with Grzy...loses a heartbreaker..ahead against Greening and the spladle worked.  Crazy yes...tons of great kids went home from that sectional without a trip to state.  Trust me he will be back with a vengeance.

It did, but I think everyone was shocked. That sectional is a dandy with some great wrestling and a few surprises. Some really tough freshman there yesterday and they will be beasts for years to come. I feel good for the wrestler who beat Drexler and at the same time feel bad for Drexler he works his butt off but I suspect he will look forward and come back tough. The match he had with Gryzbowski was a dandy match. Such awesome wrestling yesterday. I will say the landscape for that weight class at State sure changed yesterday.

Wrestlologist

Quote from: ramjet on February 17, 2019, 07:54:25 AM
Quote from: padre on February 16, 2019, 10:32:12 PM

If he hadn't had a bye he'd have pinned whoever it was. Great match with Grzy...loses a heartbreaker..ahead against Greening and the spladle worked.  Crazy yes...tons of great kids went home from that sectional without a trip to state.  Trust me he will be back with a vengeance.

It did, but I think everyone was shocked. That sectional is a dandy with some great wrestling and a few surprises. Some really tough freshman there yesterday and they will be beasts for years to come. I feel good for the wrestler who beat Drexler and at the same time feel bad for Drexler he works his butt off but I suspect he will look forward and come back tough. The match he had with Gryzbowski was a dandy match. Such awesome wrestling yesterday. I will say the landscape for that weight class at State sure changed yesterday.

How to beat the Number One Ranked Wrestler in your weight class:  https://www.facebook.com/brenda.batten.58/videos/1366650830148638/

Congratulations to Carter Greening!  Great reaction by your Dad and cheering section!
Always do what is right ... God doesn't grade on a curve.

Wrestlologist

Quote from: Luke Louison on February 17, 2019, 11:51:16 AM
Anyone got the skinny on this Schoenherr Med FF to Martinson in the sectional semis? Schoenherr wrestled back afterward?

Maybe they expect to meet up again at State Finals and don't want to show each other their stuff again?  The Martinson win vs. Schoenherr last Wednesday at Team Sectionals surprised some fans.  Earlier on Saturday, Coleman forfeited to Cian Fischer at 120 in the Sectional Semifinals.  In the many sectionals I have attended, I think this was the first time I have ever seen this.  And then we saw it again the same day with Schoenerr and Martinson later in the same round.
Always do what is right ... God doesn't grade on a curve.

Micah

Quote from: NoFooForU on February 16, 2019, 11:58:11 PM
Quote from: 1Iota on February 16, 2019, 05:09:38 PM
Quote from: Numbers on February 16, 2019, 05:00:02 PM
Mukwonago had quite the day with all 14 placing at sectionals

7 1st, 4 2nd, 2 3rd, 1 4th

36-9  6 decisions, 7 majors, 6 techs, 17 pins

When you have more wins by fall than losses and wins by decision combined - that is some domination!

Mukwonago has a very deep team that I have said all along is the one team that could upend Stoughton, but these numbers are helped by being placed in a Milwaukee area sectional. 

You question the depth that the Section Mukwonago was in... go see some of the others before making that statement.  The Section that Burlington, Arrowhead, Slinger were at.... by far not as talented.

I disagree, Arrowhead sectional might not have had the depth but talent level was higher.  Arrowhead sectional could get 5-6 finalists.

imnofish

Quote from: TechFall119 on February 16, 2019, 07:34:47 PM
Jared Stricker of Ashland is out, lost to Bonte, 4-2 then in wrestle back against somerset kid. Stricker was 5th last year at state.

Brown from Northwestern, place winner for Bayfield last year, lost against Nichols in finals

Carroll from Spooner, loses to Grewe, then grewe loses later in wrestle backs. Only loss of the year for Carroll was to Grewe, neither make it to state.

Carroll suffered a debilitating leg injury, while competing the opening takedown in this match.  He did his best to finish with a win, but couldn't put pressure on that leg and thus had no drive to finish any of his moves.  Sad to see such an outcome for any kid, let alone a great wrestler like Carroll.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

missinghome

My 2 cents worth. First off Congratulations to Carter Greening on his win yesterday. Drexler is a great wrestler for sure, but According to track wrestling greening took 3rd in state last year and is also a junior. Drexler is just a freshman. Everyone is talking about how there should be seeding at the sectionals. So who and how do you seed them? Drexler undefeated freshman, Gyzrbowski (2 time defending state champ) Greening (state place winner)
So you want a freshman to get the number 1 seed over two state place winners? Also if the pinned would not have been called score would have been 7 to 7. Greening was also ranked 3rd so not as big of an upset as everyone makes it out to be. And lastly on this subject Drexler lost twice at Bonduel.

Numbers

Quote from: Wrestlologist on February 17, 2019, 11:58:01 AM
Quote from: Luke Louison on February 17, 2019, 11:51:16 AM
Anyone got the skinny on this Schoenherr Med FF to Martinson in the sectional semis? Schoenherr wrestled back afterward?

Maybe they expect to meet up again at State Finals and don't want to show each other their stuff again?  The Martinson win vs. Schoenherr last Wednesday at Team Sectionals surprised some fans.  Earlier on Saturday, Coleman forfeited to Cian Fischer at 120 in the Sectional Semifinals.  In the many sectionals I have attended, I think this was the first time I have ever seen this.  And then we saw it again the same day with Schoenerr and Martinson later in the same round.

Maybe Micah should be checking the matrix used in D2/D3 for possible state bracketing quirks?

ramjet

Quote from: missinghome on February 17, 2019, 01:16:34 PM
My 2 cents worth. First off Congratulations to Carter Greening on his win yesterday. Drexler is a great wrestler for sure, but According to track wrestling greening took 3rd in state last year and is also a junior. Drexler is just a freshman. Everyone is talking about how there should be seeding at the sectionals. So who and how do you seed them? Drexler undefeated freshman, Gyzrbowski (2 time defending state champ) Greening (state place winner)
So you want a freshman to get the number 1 seed over two state place winners? Also if the pinned would not have been called score would have been 7 to 7. Greening was also ranked 3rd so not as big of an upset as everyone makes it out to be. And lastly on this subject Drexler lost twice at Bonduel.

What's your point? Like I said I was happy for Greening who won and felt sad for Drexler he was undefeated going in and anyone who knows him knows he is an really outstanding respectful hard working young man. That's not to take anything from Greening. Greening hit the right thing and used his length to finish him. From wrestling stand point it was an upset going in Drexler was rank 1st and Greening ranked below him. But that said its ok to feel good for one wrestler winning and bad for the one who lost.

Now seeding; are you kidding me just another thing for people to cry about. It's fine it works and you have to beat the best to be the best on that day or in that compeitition. Where you meet does not matter.