Redshirts performances

Started by head57, January 20, 2015, 10:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scfcat

I'm one o the biggest badger homers there is but I have to be honest. If Robinson, Smith, Brand's Sanderson, and Davis were recruiting my son? The last coach I would want him to pick would be Davis.

billymurphy

I think the entire state of Wisconsin thought Ben Askren was the best wrestler in the
state of Wisconsin by his sophomore year.  I sure did.  He put on a fantastic
show at the state tournament his sophomore year and if you missed that, then you
missed something special.  I doubt Duke was there to watch it.

bigoil

Quote from: Barou on January 22, 2015, 05:45:16 PM
Quote from: npope on January 22, 2015, 05:35:17 PM
Quote from: Barou on January 22, 2015, 05:26:02 PM
So Barry has never had a wi national champion.  Since he has been HC wisconsin wrestlers have won 8 national titles by my count: Hartung 2, B Askren 2, Konrad 2, M Askren 1, and Dieringer 1 so far. Am I missing any? Out of those, guarantee all but maybe Dieringer would have been accepted at UW. Not sure if Barry made any offers to those NC's except for the 1/4 ride he offered B Askren.

Is that what he offered Askren? Interesting - if true. It would seem that either want him or not (he was of that caliber, and of that character). Why even waste everyone's time offering a 1/4 scholarship - he was going to get better offers elsewhere.

Yes, that's straight from Askren. He offered Askren and Wunnicke to split a 1/2. When Askren went to Missouri Wunnicke got the full 1/2.

And Ben paid as much to go to Mizzou as he would have at UW from what I recall as he rec'd a 3/4 offer there. If not the same, very close. I think Ben found a connection with Coach Smith and obviously his decision worked for him.

Ghetto

Quote from: billymurphy on January 22, 2015, 07:46:41 PM
I think the entire state of Wisconsin thought Ben Askren was the best wrestler in the
state of Wisconsin by his sophomore year.  I sure did.  He put on a fantastic
show at the state tournament his sophomore year and if you missed that, then you
missed something special.  I doubt Duke was there to watch it.

I was coaching against him. Still think we got hosed on back points.  ;D
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Barou

Quote from: scfcat on January 22, 2015, 07:44:15 PM
I'm one o the biggest badger homers there is but I have to be honest. If Robinson, Smith, Brand's Sanderson, and Davis were recruiting my son? The last coach I would want him to pick would be Davis.

I agree and if I was breske I wouldn't go to wisconsin.
JHI Mafia

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Barou on January 22, 2015, 10:37:20 PM

I agree and if I was breske I wouldn't go to wisconsin.

those coaches have better overall teams but doesn't mean it is a better school or better coach, not all kids fit well with their styles. Wisconsin is still a place where many kids have excelled. Did anyone expect Howe in finals as true fresh or champ in second year? Medberry might be a champ this year, what helped him leap the guys he was behind last year? Jordan is much better than I expected, I believe he can beat Bo and apparently he never has. We just graduated a 4 time AA. Would you also not send your kid to play football at Wisconsin because they can't seem to compete with top 5 teams year in and year out? Would you send them to Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Florida State instead? I'm not s huge supporter of BD, although I still think he is a good coach and makes good men, not to mention one of the best schools in the country.

Would you send your son to OK St if he was competing for a spot with Mark Hall and Chance Marstellar?
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

mkm13

Basically everyone on the team this year is either wrestling as expected or better with the exception of 1 wrestler.  There has been a lot of improvement overall.  We are 5-0 in the big 10 including beating Nebraska and Northwestern, who are both good teams.  Anyone who comes here will have good facilities, coaches, and practice partners to work with to continue to improve.

If Breske came to UW, he would have Brandvold, Ritter, Robertson, Christiansen and Jordan (for 1 year) to wrestle against in practice each day.  Not sure there are many schools that can offer much more than that.

Street Glide

First I would like to congratulate any kid that would get recruited by these coaches.  Unless one is in that situation and listened to what all these schools really offered it would be hard to make such a decision with out knowing what really is on the table.  Now if all these coaches just had wrestling camps, yes I guess I could see it being easier to pre pick who you would want.  But reality is there is a lot more involved than just wrestling.  There's academic choices, there's campus life, etc..and simply what would make my student a better person after wrestling is done.  So many other factors than just wrestling.  But hey everyone certainly has a right to their own opinion.

harley

Does Barry do most of the recruiting now? I know 5-6 years ago Donny was doing most of it.

jchap

So Barry has never had a wi national champion.  Since he has been HC wisconsin wrestlers have won 8 national titles by my count: Hartung 2, B Askren 2, Konrad 2, M Askren 1, and Dieringer 1 so far. Am I missing any? Out of those, guarantee all but maybe Dieringer would have been accepted at UW. Not sure if Barry made any offers to those NC's except for the 1/4 ride he offered B Askren.
I know you are right, but I'd like to say that Henning definitely got screwed in the finals and should have been a champ.

dman

Quote from: jchap on January 23, 2015, 12:22:31 PM
I know you are right, but I'd like to say that Henning definitely got screwed in the finals and should have been a champ.

Agreed!!

billymurphy

If I were to speculate, I would say Barry is the guy recruiting the Ohio and Colorado guys, and Brandvold is the guy getting the Wisconsin and Illinois guys.
I base that on the fact that Barry personally was there in an Ohio gym watching one of the guys he was recruiting and Brandvold has a vastly better
knowledge base of Wisconsin high school wrestling and Brandvold personally attended the Illinois high school state meet.  Wisconsin has seriously
needed an assistant coach with a pulse on Wisconsin wrestling for a long time so that makes Brandvold a very important coach for Barry to have there.
Brandvold would have been sleeping on Askren's couch trying to recruit him had he been on the Wisconsin coaching staff at the time.   

leg turk

Quote from: billymurphy on January 23, 2015, 01:36:41 PM
If I were to speculate, I would say Barry is the guy recruiting the Ohio and Colorado guys, and Brandvold is the guy getting the Wisconsin and Illinois guys.
I base that on the fact that Barry personally was there in an Ohio gym watching one of the guys he was recruiting and Brandvold has a vastly better
knowledge base of Wisconsin high school wrestling and Brandvold personally attended the Illinois high school state meet.  Wisconsin has seriously
needed an assistant coach with a pulse on Wisconsin wrestling for a long time so that makes Brandvold a very important coach for Barry to have there.
Brandvold would have been sleeping on Askren's couch trying to recruit him had he been on the Wisconsin coaching staff at the time.   

So will he be sleeping on Breske's couch?

scfcat

Just don't like Wisconsin's wrestling style. Very defensive. Kids always seem to be on the defensive or back on their heels. The other teams coach's teams I mentioned always seem to b the aggressors. Always on the attack! Davis seems to truly care about his kids and has a ton of passion. Just not a fan of his coaching "style"!

jchap

Quote from: scfcat on January 23, 2015, 08:08:51 PM
Just don't like Wisconsin's wrestling style. Very defensive. Kids always seem to be on the defensive or back on their heels. The other teams coach's teams I mentioned always seem to b the aggressors. Always on the attack! Davis seems to truly care about his kids and has a ton of passion. Just not a fan of his coaching "style"!
Kinda like Jordan, Taylor, and Medberry tonight?  Point taken regarding the others, though.