Barry Davis and the history of the UW wrestling program

Started by wrestlemania, April 02, 2015, 12:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneEyedFatMan

Just missed a "kip-out-from underneath" TD at the buzzer to tie, lost 9-7. I don't believe riding time was involved, nor any back points.
:P
Jim had a lot of close matches, but he managed to pull out most of them.
Great competitor!

Quote from: bigG on April 17, 2015, 06:55:39 PM
Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on April 15, 2015, 08:37:29 AM
Hi Big G.

I wrestled Jim Heffernan in the dual when he was a true freshman and I was a senior. Got news for ya...he had that finish coming straight out of St. Eds.
Actually, his first TD on me was a re-shot calf-pick  :o  yeah, surprised me too .
Jim got hosed in his last NCAA final ( he was in 3) against Tim Krieger--referee was afraid to call stalling. Should have had 2 titles.

But yes, Barry D was a machine gun of a take down artist.

Quote from: bigG on April 14, 2015, 07:34:48 PM
I remember that final. I was miffed. He was busting it and TK was just holding on. St. Eds; but so many not from there were just the same finish; save for the flea. He liked back sweeps. No shame in losing to Heffernan. Or, did you beat him? I'd say of all Gable disciples, Jim H would be my #1 in terms of influence on me. Just a buzz saw.

Those were the daaaaaays.  :)
"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

whatever

You know, OneEye,  I thought Heffernan was hosed when I watched it live (I was a college freshman at the time, I think...) but now that I watch the video, I think the referees got it right.

Krieger was never backing up - he was just so tough at defending any and all shots by Heffernan.  On top of that, Heffernan DID get two stalling points....problem was one both times he had his choice, he chose neutral (obviously, Krieger was a he!! of a rider) and that ended up costing him.

Additionally, the flurry at the end of regulation looked like a sure TD for Heffernan but he never dragged his toes at the edge and didn't have the TD.  Conversely, in the 2nd period of OT, Krieger looked like he had the TD AND dragged his toes and didn't get the call, either.

All in all, a great match but I don't think Heffernan got screwed.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

OneEyedFatMan

I respectfully disagree, Whatever.

Krieger's non-attempts to score (and very few counters, if any) leave me gasping for air. Yes, he was one of the best riders ever, in my opinion, and personally would have shuddered at the thought of wrestling him. Can't blame Heff for choosing neutral.

A few years prior, I had witnessed Bud Palmer ( a Hawkeye) get dq'd in the NCAA FINAL- called for stalling FIVE TIMES. The year before that, his teammate Scott Trizzino got dq'd in the semis. Trizz picked it up after that and got busy.

I watched Zac Rey of Lehigh dance around the outer circle with one foot out in the NCAA final a few years ago, really felt like it was stalling too.

Quote from: whatever on April 20, 2015, 04:08:05 PM
You know, OneEye,  I thought Heffernan was hosed when I watched it live (I was a college freshman at the time, I think...) but now that I watch the video, I think the referees got it right.

Krieger was never backing up - he was just so tough at defending any and all shots by Heffernan.  On top of that, Heffernan DID get two stalling points....problem was one both times he had his choice, he chose neutral (obviously, Krieger was a he!! of a rider) and that ended up costing him.

Additionally, the flurry at the end of regulation looked like a sure TD for Heffernan but he never dragged his toes at the edge and didn't have the TD.  Conversely, in the 2nd period of OT, Krieger looked like he had the TD AND dragged his toes and didn't get the call, either.

All in all, a great match but I don't think Heffernan got screwed.

bigG

I always felt a little bad for Duane Goldman. Dude made the finals so many times. Tuff dude.

Kriger didn't back up. Just all head ties and some pseudo shots. I was in HS and loved Heff, so I was a biased viewer who was POed.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Regarding the Heffernan-Kreiger match, it didn't help things that the mats were only a total of 15 square feet in those days  ::) Take two giant steps in any direction and you had a foot out of bounds - and that's all you needed in those days to get an out of bounds whistle.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

imnofish

Quote from: npope on April 21, 2015, 05:42:19 AM
Regarding the Heffernan-Kreiger match, it didn't help things that the mats were only a total of 15 square feet in those days  ::) Take two giant steps in any direction and you had a foot out of bounds - and that's all you needed in those days to get an out of bounds whistle.

That was my first thought, upon watching the match.  Today's mat size and out of bounds rules would have probably yielded a different outcome.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

OneEyedFatMan

Maybe, but you have to remember that both Krieger and Heff were fairly tall for 150 lbers and Krieger had long legs.

But yes, the mats were a skotch smaller. I recall wishing to the Almighty that I could get out of bounds in my first Northern Open ( a vicious AA leg-rider
had the boots in for about 5 1/2 minutes). Mercifully the mat was slapped at that point.

Quote from: imnofish on April 21, 2015, 10:45:33 AM

That was my first thought, upon watching the match.  Today's mat size and out of bounds rules would have probably yielded a different outcome.

npope

The angle of the camera shot in this match between Kemp and Gable of about the same era better reveals just how small the mat space really was. Given that size and the out-of-bounds rules of the day, I am amazed that anybody ever scored a takedown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5xLDwQGfI
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

whatever

Wow - you are soooo right, there, Nat.  That mat is downright tiny!

I'm guessing there may be some rose-colored tint to my glasses in looking back but I would venture that referees called stalling a little more rigorously back then....
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

bigG

Quote from: imnofish on April 21, 2015, 10:45:33 AM

Some edge of mat stuff did favor Krieger, though. He was good at the edge. His D was just amazingly heavy hips and position. I was mad; but that kid wrestled to win. He won. I think at the time (the older I get, the tougher we were) stalling was a more common call; and you frequently saw it in the 1st, as you do here. Refs know #2 means something, though; and I wonder if the tougher penalty comes across a ref's mind. Do I ding him again?

Then, you might think, he's not backing up, he's circling, and he's working his defense beautifully. He knows if he gets the TD, he wins; cuz he can ride like the wind. Plenty of impetus to score. Shots, then, can look like scoring attempt. He did go some nice upper body and the flurries were great. I think the refs may have gotten one right; by today's standards.  :)

You wonder what all goes through refs head. Either way, as aggressive as JH was, I just wanted him to win, that badly.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestlemania

billymurphy

I was in attendance that day also.
I am so glad they changed
the rule on being out of bounds as that would
have been a vastly different match with a different
mat and the rules they have today.