Iowa st, Nov 19th

Started by leg turk, November 12, 2023, 08:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: No One Cares on December 03, 2023, 11:08:02 AM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on December 03, 2023, 11:02:28 AM
Quote from: Wrestling Guru on December 02, 2023, 09:58:08 AM
Quote from: WiscFan on December 02, 2023, 01:04:15 AMI mean this respectfully as possible because for good or bad, I enjoy all crosstalk about wrestling, especially the Badgers.

But to all the Bono hatin' SOBs, I cannot wait for the day the Badgers are back in full force! Not saying that will happen this year. But ain't no way Bono and team are getting written off that easily in my book.

How do you think he will do this? My follow up question is why hasn't he done this already?

I think Nicolar Rivera can step into the rankings with a couple big wins. Luke Mechler already beat a ranked opponent.

Luke Condon, Zan Fugitt, Dylan Russo and Julian George are top recruits.

Next year's class also has top recruits, including Dillan Johnson, Colin Kelly and Wyatt Ingham

Braxton Amos returns from Olympic Redshirt next year, probably to wrestle heavyweight.

Luke Mechler was pinned by his own teammate, also.   

Yes, and hopefully he learns from that.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

MNbadger

Quote from: gwmiller44 on December 01, 2023, 06:39:30 PMI think Wi. Is too Liberal For Askren. I would love to see it happen! He makes wrestlers better in all aspects of the sport. on & off the mat.
what would that have to do with wrestling?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrestlemania

"Why do you think Brandvold would leave MN for WI?"

He wouldn't. He's already been on the staff. He was supposed to be BD's heir apparent then the whole staff got dumped when Davis stepped down. That ship has sailed.

wrestlemania

"Bono does not develop wrestlers to get them to make the jump to the next tier in their career."

Seth Gross says hello.

I heard the same complaints about Davis. I mean, come on, when is it going to sink in around here there are deeper problems with UW wrestling than who coach is and what they may or may not be doing? Hmm?

Remember how excited everyone was when Bono was hired? He was the hot up-n'coming coach at the time for what he did at SDSU. Now UW wrestling was going to go big time, right? Season tickets, promotions, great recruiter and motivator, hired Askren for the RTC, hopefully get more money, all those things. When did it suddenly all go away and why? Did he just become stupid all of a sudden? What gives?

If anyone says Askren I will tell you right now that Ben pulled the same crap on BD, so the bottom line is no matter who coaches at UW unless they kiss Ben's backside, he's not going to be very supportive. And why would he be? He's not an alumn and it's no skin off his nose how the Badgers do one way or the other. So maybe a new coach might get his indifference (unless they're totally a puppet, which it sounds like what he and Max want) but probably nothing more than that hopefully, at least that.

And as for in-state talent, well it is nice but it's no guarantee of anything. Past UW teams have been littered with in-state kids who either really didn't do much in Madison, did not live up to expectations or washed out completely. Because no matter how talented you are, if you're being fed into the same meat grinder of a program, all the promise you showed on the high school or cadet level just goes away. Is that the wrestler's fault? A lot of people want to believe that but they can't be all bums! If the program is not set up for big success why would you expect it from those same wrestlers, because they won a state title in high school? Doesn't work that way.

Here's what I worry about: The new additions to the B1G all don't have wrestling. This will be the first time that not every school in the league has the sport. I wonder if this fact may entice schools that are struggling in the sport to drop their programs as well. I mean obviously wrestling doesn't cost UW a lot of money in comparison to other sports but that really isn't the issue in spite of what savings they could get, which wouldn't be a lot. The issue is whether UW feels it can find the resources to have a competitive program without going the way of the top schools in the sport which are heavily booster funded. Apparently UWAD is still anal about booster contact with and funding for its sports even under new management. If they believe it's not possible or realistically feasible, they may very well conclude that wrestling is not worth their time and or money as terrible a decision as it would be. I do believe McIntosh wrestled in high school if I'm right, but he strikes me someone not really at that sentimental. Otherwise Paul Chryst would still have a job at UW.

Army Ant

I agree wrestlemania. It definitely isn't just Bono, if it's him at all.

littleguy301

I think the UW has it problems with a below average room and such but over all the Badgers do have alot of good things going also.

It is Bono program and he has a big enough personality to tell Askren it is his state! Ii get it that Ben runs one of the best clubs in the nation but it isn't a top 20 ncaa d1 program which Bono runs. Nation wide their is some really good programs with top flight coaches that maybe are better than the college program in the state.

I think for many Minnesota people that wanted some one other that eggum as the gopher coach. You don't hear the up heaval that we have in Wisconsin.

I wanted Bono as the coach, though at this time I am not a fan of what he has done so far. Until the Badgers get interestffom others I will.still go with Bono as the coach.

I still support the team and hopefully they have more bright spots than grey spots during the season.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

No One Cares

Quote from: littleguy301 on December 07, 2023, 07:56:56 AMI think the UW has it problems with a below average room and such but over all the Badgers do have alot of good things going also.

It is Bono program and he has a big enough personality to tell Askren it is his state! Ii get it that Ben runs one of the best clubs in the nation but it isn't a top 20 ncaa d1 program which Bono runs. Nation wide their is some really good programs with top flight coaches that maybe are better than the college program in the state.

I think for many Minnesota people that wanted some one other that eggum as the gopher coach. You don't hear the up heaval that we have in Wisconsin.

I wanted Bono as the coach, though at this time I am not a fan of what he has done so far. Until the Badgers get interestffom others I will.still go with Bono as the coach.

I still support the team and hopefully they have more bright spots than grey spots during the season.

I am gonna tell my kids this wonderfully written soliloquy was generated from CHAT GPT.

littleguy301

Quote from: No One Cares on December 07, 2023, 07:59:48 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on December 07, 2023, 07:56:56 AMI think the UW has it problems with a below average room and such but over all the Badgers do have alot of good things going also.

I am gonna tell my kids this wonderfully written soliloquy was generated from CHAT GPT.

?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet