De Pere... the real story

Started by Believe It, February 17, 2017, 07:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigG

I have to think, given the range of responses to this that there would be no ruling the WIAA, or any judge, could have made to make everyone happy (just like our court systems in the real world). Whether I agree with the ruling or not, I have to respect the authority that made it. Without a governing body like the WIAA, I can't imagine the spit-show that may have ensued.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

onwisconsin

Good find Getyourpoints.  I guess you can say they follow their mission statement.   

Micah

Quote from: roughandtough on February 23, 2017, 07:48:20 AM
Quote from: Micah on February 23, 2017, 07:38:03 AM
Not sure if the WIAA made the right decision or not, but a line does have to be drawn at some point about following the rules.

The issue I can't wrap my head around is that if another program knew the DePere schedule was in potential violation before the violation happened, why did they not pick up the phone and make a call to DePere?  Instead of waiting to try and catch them in a violation.  If this did happen it is just bad form, I would like to think that at this level programs would be willing to help each other out to avoid potential land mines and move wrestling forward in Wisconsin.

I do not think it is good practice to rely on help from others but technicalities like this can easily be prevented if programs inform each other of potential violations before they happen.

What if De Pere has been wrestling the same schedule for multiple years (which was an illegal schedule) and said school notified them previously and then the next year when they continued to wrestle the illegal schedule notified them when they did.  Does that change your thinking?

Of course, one notification would suffice and if changes aren't made that school deserves any punishment from the WIAA.

wraslfan

Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on February 23, 2017, 11:44:00 AM
http://wbay.com/2017/02/22/disqualified-wrestler-turriff-remains-postive/
Thanks for sharing, great attitude from that kid. Unfortunately, it makes the WIAA's moronic decision infuriate me even more.
Theyy should be so proud of themselves for denying that team the chance to wrestle, it really shows how "equal" they made things. They really showed "control." They didn't let any "special interest groups"...(except the two schools who waited until they were over the limit and then reported) exploit these athletes   ::) 

imwi

Quote from: Napoleon Dynamite on February 23, 2017, 11:44:00 AM
http://wbay.com/2017/02/22/disqualified-wrestler-turriff-remains-postive/

If anyone knows this kid, have him PM me.  I'll buy him dinner, snacks and whatever else he wants this weekend.  I'll even give him my front row seat.  That's the most rational thing I have read on these boards in months.

""I am who I am today, and they can't take that away," Turriff said."

Lombardi

Quote from: Barou on February 22, 2017, 09:32:05 PM
Quote from: woody53 on February 22, 2017, 05:03:59 PM
You do know that this went before a Judge, right. And he decided the out come. The WIAA followed the rules.

The wiaa had an opportunity to make a decision to not discipline innocent kids BEFORE it went to a judge. The wiaa was the last thing standing to protect the kids that literally everyone agrees was not responsible for the infraction.

I couldn't agree more with you Barou, this isn't about the vote of a judge on an obvious rule violation, it's about the hard line stand the WIAA board took to show no mercy to the 10 Depere wrestlers that had their season come to an abrupt end! 

What I still have not seen posted is the names of the 7 board members who voted 5-2 to reverse the initial WIAA decision that allowed Depere to wrestle in the Regional's.  I believe the public has a right to know who voted and how they voted.  Can anyone in the know post out the names?  This is the way it works in the real world of government, the vote is public information & if the majority of people don't like the way someone votes they voice their opinion by voting someone else in!  Let's not let this go unchallenged, we can't go back and get the Depere kids to wrestle but we can show our support for them by helping to make sure that something like this does not happen in the future!

RedDawn1966

Seems to me some mistakes were made.  I seen Depere kids and fans at state before.  I know theyre good kids.  Remember what the Bible says about forgiveness: it says you should forgive.  Seems they needed to let the kids play.  This is sad for all them and there town and there coach and there school.  I dont like this at all.

yaknowwhatimean?

Quote from: Micah on February 23, 2017, 12:01:13 PM
Quote from: roughandtough on February 23, 2017, 07:48:20 AM
Quote from: Micah on February 23, 2017, 07:38:03 AM
Not sure if the WIAA made the right decision or not, but a line does have to be drawn at some point about following the rules.

The issue I can't wrap my head around is that if another program knew the DePere schedule was in potential violation before the violation happened, why did they not pick up the phone and make a call to DePere?  Instead of waiting to try and catch them in a violation.  If this did happen it is just bad form, I would like to think that at this level programs would be willing to help each other out to avoid potential land mines and move wrestling forward in Wisconsin.

I do not think it is good practice to rely on help from others but technicalities like this can easily be prevented if programs inform each other of potential violations before they happen.

What if De Pere has been wrestling the same schedule for multiple years (which was an illegal schedule) and said school notified them previously and then the next year when they continued to wrestle the illegal schedule notified them when they did.  Does that change your thinking?

Of course, one notification would suffice and if changes aren't made that school deserves any punishment from the WIAA.

I think the previous 8 pages and the other thread need to focus on roughandtough's one post.  Was DePere notified prior and wrestled anyway? Maybe some clarification roughandtough?  Do you have some info some us are not privy to?  If so, it would clear up a lot of this confusion as to where and when first notification was made.  

RedDawn1966

From what I know they werent notified so by saying they were notified and that the coach wrestled anyways is not true and your post should be deleted, from what I know.

yaknowwhatimean?

Quote from: RedDawn1966 on February 23, 2017, 02:43:20 PM

From what I know they werent notified so by saying they were notified and that the coach wrestled anyways is not true and your post should be deleted, from what I know.

I was referring to roughantough's one post. He seems to know more than he is letting on.  Or maybe he knows exactly what he is saying.  What do you know? and who from?  I don't know anything.  That's what question marks mean.  :)  Roughandtough seems to think they did know, in which case your post is not true.  Maybe your post should be deleted.  :)  Obviously, someone knows.  Someone always knows and they usually don't come on the forum if they do.  Speculate away. 

RedDawn1966

Quote from: yaknowwhatimean? on February 23, 2017, 03:05:55 PM
Quote from: RedDawn1966 on February 23, 2017, 02:43:20 PM

I was referring to roughantough's one post.  I would also like to know what he was hinting at.  He seems to know more than he is letting on.

Well from what I know its a mess and people from up at the state came down hard on em.  I want to know what ur hinting at about what hes hinting at cuz we all should know there should be no secrets here cuz once the stats involved we all should have the right to know.  we ALL pay taxes so we have the right to know the TRUTH.

wraslfan

Nobody

Quote from: knight/purgolder on February 23, 2017, 09:33:55 AM
I try to read almost every post on this forum, high school and college. One of the posts was talking about merging regionals, because of lack of wrestlers per weight. There is lack of interest in joining this sport for several reasons. I think the number 1 reason is that it is the hardest and scariest sport there is! This stuff that Kaukana and Pulaski affiliated people did will definitely affect current and future participants! I get so mad at the thought of spineless ghosts and red raiders ruining kids and families lives! All the years, accomplishments, time, and memories treated like they didn't mean anything! I can't stand the WIAA for this and I really can't stand USA wrestling either! Too many people making things more complicated then it should be! Wrestling needs to have an independent league and let WIAA die! Much love De Pere!   

I wish I would never have gotten my kid into wrestling,  I wish I would never gotten him into anything WIAA,  I wish I would have gotten him in Motorcross like I had originally planned. 

imnofish

Quote from: Nobody on February 24, 2017, 07:40:29 AM
I try to read almost every post on this forum, high school and college. One of the posts was talking about merging regionals, because of lack of wrestlers per weight. There is lack of interest in joining this sport for several reasons. I think the number 1 reason is that it is the hardest and scariest sport there is! This stuff that Kaukana and Pulaski affiliated people did will definitely affect current and future participants! I get so mad at the thought of spineless ghosts and red raiders ruining kids and families lives! All the years, accomplishments, time, and memories treated like they didn't mean anything! I can't stand the WIAA for this and I really can't stand USA wrestling either! Too many people making things more complicated then it should be! Wrestling needs to have an independent league and let WIAA die! Much love De Pere!   

I wish I would never have gotten my kid into wrestling,  I wish I would never gotten him into anything WIAA,  I wish I would have gotten him in Motorcross like I had originally planned. 

Really?  No benefits from all of the hard work and positive experiences over the years? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Quote from: Nobody on February 24, 2017, 07:40:29 AM

OMG, I hope your experience wasn't that bad. Motocross, really?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.