De Pere... the real story

Started by Believe It, February 17, 2017, 07:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraslfan

Quote from: imnofish on February 25, 2017, 09:33:29 AM
Really?  No benefits from all of the hard work and positive experiences over the years? 
In time the experience of wrestling will help all the Depere wrestlers in other aspects of their lives. They'll remember and appreciate the hard work and dedication they put in and apply that to their careers, their personal lives etc...

They will also never forget the crushing decision by an inept organization, claiming to be there to look out for their best interests, and remember how that organization took all that they had worked for away from them. Ended their careers over a minor infraction made by other adults...they will realize that decision was made because it was the easy way out for the WIAA. That they hid behind a rule book instead of doing what was right. They completely ignored the motives of the other teams who reported the infraction. The WIAA made a  decision completely contrary to all that the sport of wrestling stands for. I hope they use this experience in a positive way and learn how NOT to handle things as adults. I hope they realize that this is what happens with unchecked power, no competition, and no recourse. I hope they realize that just saying "I feel terrible about it" is not an excuse, not a good enough response for failing to do the right thing.      

wraslfan

Quote from: bigG on February 25, 2017, 10:28:13 AM
Quote from: Nobody on February 24, 2017, 07:40:29 AM
Quote from: knight/purgolder on February 23, 2017, 09:33:55 AM
I try to read almost every post on this forum, high school and college. One of the posts was talking about merging regionals, because of lack of wrestlers per weight. There is lack of interest in joining this sport for several reasons. I think the number 1 reason is that it is the hardest and scariest sport there is! This stuff that Kaukana and Pulaski affiliated people did will definitely affect current and future participants! I get so mad at the thought of spineless ghosts and red raiders ruining kids and families lives! All the years, accomplishments, time, and memories treated like they didn't mean anything! I can't stand the WIAA for this and I really can't stand USA wrestling either! Too many people making things more complicated then it should be! Wrestling needs to have an independent league and let WIAA die! Much love De Pere!   

I wish I would never have gotten my kid into wrestling,  I wish I would never gotten him into anything WIAA,  I wish I would have gotten him in Motorcross like I had originally planned. 

OMG, I hope your experience wasn't that bad. Motocross, really?
What's wrong with Motocross BigG? The two greatest sports in the world are MX and Wrestling! Just ask me...I'll tell you!   ;)

bigG

Tongue in cheek, man. I did have some MX kids a few years ago who came in with a broken _______, every few weeks. I had to have a serious career discussion with one who didn't understand why him spending more on it than he made made for a poor choice for a financially viable career. I went to watch them at Aztalan. What a great time.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Quote from: wraslfan on February 25, 2017, 10:37:31 AM
They will also never forget the crushing decision by an inept organization, claiming to be there to look out for their best interests, and remember how that organization took all that they had worked for away from them. Ended their careers over a minor infraction made by other adults...they will realize that decision was made because it was the easy way out for the WIAA. That they hid behind a rule book instead of doing what was right. They completely ignored the motives of the other teams who reported the infraction. The WIAA made a  decision completely contrary to all that the sport of wrestling stands for. I hope they use this experience in a positive way and learn how NOT to handle things as adults. I hope they realize that this is what happens with unchecked power, no competition, and no recourse. I hope they realize that just saying "I feel terrible about it" is not an excuse, not a good enough response for failing to do the right thing.      

Not that I don't lament the WIAA decision as well (if there weren't the time crunch involved with making a decision, I like to think they would have come up with a better solution), but let's be clear, the motives of those reporting does not impact the character of the infraction in any way - it is what it is and those reporting didn't make the mistake. Also, the WIAA is not there to protect the interests of the DePere wrestlers - it is there to protect the interests of its entire membership - which extends far beyond just the DePere wrestlers. And part of protecting the interests of the entire membership is enforcing the rules as written. The rules are established in advance, ratified by the membership, all membership should expect to be held accountable to those rules. That's just the way organizational structures are supposed to work. The WIAA had a balancing act to pull off under some serious time constraints and I for one, don't envy the conundrum they were saddled with at the 11th hour (and I also don't like the fact that they back-paddled after the regionals, but that is a different tangent).
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigG

Really?  No benefits from all of the hard work and positive experiences over the years? 
In time the experience of wrestling will help all the Depere wrestlers in other aspects of their lives. They'll remember and appreciate the hard work and dedication they put in and apply that to their careers, their personal lives etc...

I get it; but you're blaming the cop. Maybe they'll be mad at their coaches/AD for inappropriate term9 up. Or, even scarier, perhaps they'll get over it and never dwell on it again. You can't measure motives in justice; just weigh evidence and acknowledge a motive was there, if it was. They're a governing body that is governing. That upsets people in our real justice system, too. Unfortunate set of circumstances; but De Pere was in the wrong and paid. I hate a rat as much as the next (even scuzzier when you get to know them a little)but rats play a vital role in justice, at times.

wraslfan

Quote from: npope on February 25, 2017, 11:28:59 AM
Not that I don't lament the WIAA decision as well (if there weren't the time crunch involved with making a decision, I like to think they would have come up with a better solution), but let's be clear, the motives of those reporting does not impact the character of the infraction in any way - it is what it is and those reporting didn't make the mistake. Also, the WIAA is not there to protect the interests of the DePere wrestlers - it is there to protect the interests of its entire membership - which extends far beyond just the DePere wrestlers. And part of protecting the interests of the entire membership is enforcing the rules as written. The rules are established in advance, ratified by the membership, all membership should expect to be held accountable to those rules. That's just the way organizational structures are supposed to work. The WIAA had a balancing act to pull off under some serious time constraints and I for one, don't envy the conundrum they were saddled with at the 11th hour (and I also don't like the fact that they back-paddled after the regionals, but that is a different tangent).
I agree the motives of those reporting should have no consideration in the response from the WIAA (officially), but that is still part of the story. I am very aware that this goes well beyond Depere which only adds to the frustration of their decision. I can without question tell you that if I had any say at all in what sort of punishment should have been levied, taking the kids out of the tournament would not have been a consideration for me. We need rules, and accountability, no one denies that. We also need punishment that fits the crime. The WIAA failed everyone in HS athletics, not just the Depere wrestlers with this decision. They are worried about precedent? Then set a new precedent. It is that simple. It does not take an act of congress to use common sense. There were other decisions that could have been made, like holding those actually accountable for the infraction to task. That would make way too much sense for the WIAA, though.   

wraslfan

Quote from: bigG on February 25, 2017, 11:40:07 AM
I get it; but you're blaming the cop. Maybe they'll be mad at their coaches/AD for inappropriate term up. Or, even scarier, perhaps they'll get over it and never dwell on it again. You can't measure motives in justice; just weigh evidence and acknowledge a motive was there, if it was. They're a governing body that is governing. That upsets people in our real justice system, too. Unfortunate set of circumstances; but De Pere was in the wrong and paid. I hate a rat as much as the next (even scuzzier when you get to know them a little)but rats play a vital role in justice, at times.
I'm not blaming the cop. The coach and AD are responsible for the infraction. The kids are being punished for it. It is unfortunate for the wrestlers (who had nothing to do with this), and no one else. The "Justice system" (in this case, the WIAA) examined the facts and punished the only party not responsible for the infraction...and by default rewarded those who brought the infraction to light...no matter their motives. A monkey could have made this decision. A "governing body" could have done the right thing, but didn't.

Do you honestly believe that these wrestlers will forget this? Get over it? Sure. Forget? Not a chance. They don't forget a bad call that cost them a big match. You think they'll forget being taken out of a chance at competing at the pinnacle event of their sport?   

thequad

Does the rule specifically say the team has to be eliminated or are there other options that the WIAA could have used?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

bigG

Quote from: wraslfan on February 25, 2017, 02:57:24 PM
Quote from: bigG on February 25, 2017, 11:40:07 AM
I get it; but you're blaming the cop. Maybe they'll be mad at their coaches/AD for inappropriate term up. Or, even scarier, perhaps they'll get over it and never dwell on it again. You can't measure motives in justice; just weigh evidence and acknowledge a motive was there, if it was. They're a governing body that is governing. That upsets people in our real justice system, too. Unfortunate set of circumstances; but De Pere was in the wrong and paid. I hate a rat as much as the next (even scuzzier when you get to know them a little)but rats play a vital role in justice, at times.
I'm not blaming the cop. The coach and AD are responsible for the infraction. The kids are being punished for it. It is unfortunate for the wrestlers (who had nothing to do with this), and no one else. The "Justice system" (in this case, the WIAA) examined the facts and punished the only party not responsible for the infraction...and by default rewarded those who brought the infraction to light...no matter their motives. A monkey could have made this decision. A "governing body" could have done the right thing, but didn't.

I hear ya. An unpopular decision. I would rather see the coach or AD get dinged. I don't have all the facts, though, and maybe the WIAA does and made their ruling from there.

What would your best outcome be?
Do you honestly believe that these wrestlers will forget this? Get over it? Sure. Forget? Not a chance. They don't forget a bad call that cost them a big match. You think they'll forget being taken out of a chance at competing at the pinnacle event of their sport?   

imnofish

The last paragraph has been discussed extensively here.  I wasn't responding to that sentiment, but to a parent's statement that they wished their son had never wrestled.  The first part of your answer supports my point.  One major disappointment does not totally nullify everything experienced prior to that moment; nor does acknowledging the good things imply that the bad parts will just go away.  Horrible situations happen in life, but there are generally a lot more good ones.  We remember the bad ones easily, but the good ones must not be forgotten or unappreciated. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!