WIAA

Started by crossface21, January 11, 2016, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Quote from: MNbadger on January 19, 2016, 10:15:15 PM
That was not the debate.  Sports are an extension of the classroom certainly for the athletes and coaches.  The students are expected to adhere to school rules as well at any school function, even off campus (field trips for example).
The practice of yelling "airball" at a high school athlete is still unacceptable to me.  As an adult you certainly can do so............

This was never about athletes not having sportsmanship, it was about those in attendance.

You think the kid that was just taken down doesn't understand that TWO means he was taken down? We should stop that and while we are at it stop yelling stalling or "what is he doing on the bottom". It is offensive to that athlete who it is attributed to.

MNbadger

No, go back and look at what Wraslfan posted ("the basketball court is not an extension of the classroom", etc.). That is what my more recent posts pertain to.
As far as your cheers, go ahead, knock yourself out.  You can be as negative as you want.  I choose not to.
Additionally, yelling "two" is different than yelling "airball".  Yelling "two" is more comparable to cheering when your team makes a basket.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Jeff Farrell

MNbadger.... That hole the WIAA dug is big enough for you to jump in as well, they may enjoy your company as they probably won't get anyone else to join them 😉.... And that hole is deep, so wear a safety harness 😁!!!!

wraslfan

Quote from: MNbadger on January 19, 2016, 09:29:01 PM
Wraslfan, one of your earlier posts:
"The basketball court is not an extension of the classroom. Actually, yes it is  Is the role of the WIAA to educate? (I thought that was the role of teachers)   Actually it is (at least it is for the MSHSL, I have partaken of many educational offerings from them)  I assume the WIAA provides similar educational experiences.  Is their role to monitor kids twitter accounts? To suspend athletes a ridiculous amount of time for being critical of the WIAA? In case you aren't aware, that suspension bothers a LOT of people as much as the hysterical concern over cheers. Some people / organizations really must relish in the power that comes with their role...or have really think skin. It's not like she said a prayer before the game.
Use the "quote" button at the top right of the post you wish to quote instead of all the copying, pasting and coloring. Thought that might save you some time. I just assumed that with your self professed superior intellect you would have figured that out by now. I apologize for my rare spelling error as well.

The WIAA putting out a directive / suggestion saying you shouldn't yell "air ball" or "scoreboard" etc...at a basketball game is not an "extension of the classroom." (especially when meant for those in the stands) Saying it's an extension of the classroom after the fact is a deflection. Backing off your original statement after you were made a national laughing stock is in fact back pedaling.
I've always been thankful for the coaches my son had in MS and HS, you make me appreciate them even more. As much as I am against club sports replacing school sports, you are the poster child for why I could get on board with that movement.  

MNbadger

I am not backing off at all from any statement.  You can manipulate it in your own mind to suit yourself of course.
You are dependable though..... as always you come through with the personal attacks that have no bearing on the debate.

Thanks for the tech assistance but I don't prefer the long succession of quote boxes so I'll keep doing what I am doing in that regard.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

MarkK

Still trying to wipe the tarnished U.S.A chant out of my mind no thanks to the tweet from the WIAA.   Maybe all the students on both sides can hold signs saying "United Student Association" and chant U.S.A. together.  It would be a moment of solidarity and bring two opposing sides together.  It would be a reassurance of the place we live and that we still have a First Amendment and it protects them as well.

As far as the extension of the classroom.  I'm all for it.  Please inform the member coaches about their use of foul and derogatory language.  I've heard much worse from too many coaches than I did from that post by the athlete.  Start there and then maybe I'll believe that they are serious about teaching and extending the classroom.  Because I've heard to many coaches speak much worse than that.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

ramjet

Quote from: MNbadger on January 20, 2016, 06:29:56 AM
I am not backing off at all from any statement.  

Of course you won't, you have idea how to admit you may be wrong.

Let me help you out; The WIAA overstepped its authority and did not employ common sense when they de died to send out thus memo. They lost credibility and frankly respect because some members decided to become "politically correct" and arrogant with perceived authority.

MNbadger

I get it.  Adults want to be able to yell negative cheers at adolescents.  I don't claim that the cheers will kill anyone.  I find them to be improper and choose to cheer FOR my team, not against another.  If you are honest with yourself you know why you yell "airball" and things like it. 
Your battle with the WIAA (an organization your school chooses to belong to) will likely never end.
I never really wanted to get into that part really.  I was pointing out the statement about the educational purpose of sport.
As far as being able to admit when I am wrong I do.  I simply am not wrong here.  I will say you are projecting though.

ramjet

Quote from: MNbadger on January 20, 2016, 07:34:45 AM
I get it.  Adults want to be able to yell negative cheers at adolescents.  I don't claim that the cheers will kill anyone.  I find them to be improper and choose to cheer FOR my team, not against another.  If you are honest with yourself you know why you yell "airball" and things like it. 
Your battle with the WIAA (an organization your school chooses to belong to) will likely never end.
I never really wanted to get into that part really.  I was pointing out the statement about the educational purpose of sport.
As far as being able to admit when I am wrong I do.  I simply am not wrong here.  I will say you are projecting though.

Here is your participation trophy.......🏆

DocWrestling

From my perspective only...  No adult parent or fan should yell any of these chants at high school students.  They are not your peers.

But I do think that all these chants are every bit a part of showing your own school spirit as they are supposedly being mean to the opposing team.  I certainly think the student section should boo the other team when they run on the field, court, mat.  The student section should turn their backs and pretend to read the newspaper when other team is introduced.  They are showing their own school spirit with absolutely no harm in my mind to the other team.  I have never heard an athlete once complain about it and most embrace and enjoy it.  It is fun for all so lets not be to oversensitive.

I see a true distinction between student fans and adults.  Maybe that makes no sense but just how I see it. Just don't see the disrespect.  Schools and communities are better the more school spirit they have from the non-athletes.  I just think there are more positives in developing school spirit and "innocent" fun than there are negatives.  We had a principal that suspended everyone for expressing "school spirit".  Nobody went to the games thus kids got in more trouble doing other things and eventually it was not cool to even be in sports which also plummeted the number of kids going out for sports.  Remember when it was actually cool to be a cheerleader!  That is just changing now with change in administration and philosophy and things are getting better in all aspects of school and sports activities.

Let fans be fans!
Make adults be adults!
Make athletes be athletes!  They show respect to each other and also things that fans can do should not be done by those competing or on the bench.

Granted that is some odd distinctions but I guess that is just how I see it.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Barou

Quote from: MNbadger on January 20, 2016, 07:34:45 AM

To be fair, it's not like a school has a choice to be part of the WIAA.  If you're not on board, your school doesn't compete.  I would guess there are many AD's that have issues with parts of the WIAA.  Doesn't matter, you're in or you're out.

I think in the arrogance of the WIAA they believed they were breaking some new ground on sportsmanship and were paving the way for other states to follow.  They didn't realize how absolutely stupid they would look.  They are the laughing stock of the country and true to their arrogant ways can't even come out, rescind the memo, and apologize for the stir it caused and the embarrassment it has brought to our state.  Instead continue to respond with "clarifications".
JHI Mafia

imnofish

I find it deplorable that sports media and sports fans eagerly expend more energy complaining and fighting over this than they are apparently willing to devote to supporting schools, students, athletes, etc.  Apparently, it's all about US...   :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

DocWrestling

I agree that the WIAA made no new rules or new directives through this e-mail but it is obvious what their intentions were.  They wanted to specifically remind schools what the past rules were which is fine to promote sportsmanship.  But then they specifically outlined certain cheers which makes it completely obvious that they thought those cheers were unacceptable and were indirectly asking all school districts to ban them to follow their "past" policy.  They would have been fine if they did not specifically name cheers that the overwhelming majority of people have no problem with.

They sent the e-mail for the sole purpose of stopping these cheers.  They made it worse as it likely makes those cheers more popular and louder with students and thus made the job of administrators harder.  Kind of like UW trying to stop students from chants with profanity.  They tried and made things worse.  Even then it would not have been a firestorm if they did not make another horrible decision by going after the Hilbert girl.  Without that nobody would have known other than the AD's that laughed when they got the e-mail.  Pretty sure every AD was thinking I got bigger problems than this to worry about.

Again I want to see the complaints the WIAA has received that made them think this was a problem.  I doubt they received complaints.  Thus it is something that the 1-2 individuals that head the entire WIAA thought was something important.  I have a real problem with the way the WIAA leadership is set up for control and accountability.  They need to involve coaches associations way more than they do and have more representative committees making decisions rather than directives from a couple people.  

DocWrestling

Quote from: imnofish on January 20, 2016, 09:23:56 AM
I find it deplorable that sports media and sports fans eagerly expend more energy complaining and fighting over this than they are apparently willing to devote to supporting schools, students, athletes, etc.  Apparently, it's all about US...   :P

I think all of society is a bit tired of all the things they can no longer do that were not at all issues in the past.  And all this with no true identification of what the problem is or how this solves it?

If we ban all these cheers, are the student-athletes of today somehow going to be much better off than all of us that competed in the 70's, 80's, and 90's?  There was not a problem here?  Why does it need a solution?

Jimmy

I think we can all agree that booing is not cool. Is it possible that thee wiaa looks at these chants as an extension of booing. Just asking a question  , For I am no fan of thee wiaa .