Started by crossface21, January 11, 2016, 01:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Quote from: npope on January 19, 2016, 04:52:07 PM
Quote from: wraslfan on January 19, 2016, 01:06:40 PM
Quote from: imnofish on January 19, 2016, 11:01:15 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on January 19, 2016, 10:46:07 AM
"The basketball court is not an extension of the classroom"

Really?  You are in the minority here.  This is the reason we have sports in school.

+1,000  
So when you two were coaching, how much math and science were you covering? That had to be a strange setting. "Ok, and when your done drilling takedowns, let's gather at the chalkboard and work on our science project." You teach the sport you are coaching. Hardly what you are portraying and it's not an extension of the classroom in the sense you are trying to make it out to be. I get it, you both are super important and have a higher "societal value" than most others.

So wraslfan, you think the extent as to what is being taught in the high school classrom these days is math and science? While the names of the courses include things like science and math, and sociology and history and econbomics and art, etc., there is a tremendous amount of learning going on related to appropriate behavioral interactions, expectations, problem solving, goal setting, etc. I am pleased to say that learning in the current school enviornment is about a lot more than readin', writin' and 'rithmatic.
And all of what Nate is saying, also happens in the practice room and on the field of play. Thanks Nate. Didn't know how to respond to that last one.

Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

imnofish

Really?  You are in the minority here.  This is the reason we have sports in school.

+1,000  
So when you two were coaching, how much math and science were you covering? That had to be a strange setting. "Ok, and when your done drilling takedowns, let's gather at the chalkboard and work on our science project." You teach the sport you are coaching. Hardly what you are portraying and it's not an extension of the classroom in the sense you are trying to make it out to be. I get it, you both are super important and have a higher "societal value" than most others.

I actually did point out examples of various math and science concepts, as they applied to wrestling.  So did our district's head coach, who is now in the Wisconsin and National Halls of Fame.  He often stated that coaching was an extension of teaching and counseling.  Coaches are educators, but it's not always obvious.  The reality is that educators work toward the development of all members of the school community, by helping students learn to connect essential academic, emotional, social, components that comprise a healthy individual and healthy society.  Wrestling coaches certainly don't just concentrate on the physical skills of the sport.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

woody53

Quote from: imnofish on January 19, 2016, 05:09:01 PM

+1,000  

I actually did point out examples of various math and science concepts, as they applied to wrestling.  So did our district's head coach, who is now in the Wisconsin and National Halls of Fame.  He often stated that coaching was an extension of teaching and counseling.  Coaches are educators, but it's not always obvious.  The reality is that educators work toward the development of all members of the school community, by helping learn students learn to connect essential academic, emotional, social, components that comprise a healthy individual and healthy society.  Wrestling coaches certainly don't just concentrate on the physical skills of the sport.
Well said. Am I right now, in reading this, that you two know each other and are from the same school district?
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

imnofish

Quote from: woody53 on January 19, 2016, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: imnofish on January 19, 2016, 05:09:01 PM

+1,000  

I actually did point out examples of various math and science concepts, as they applied to wrestling.  So did our district's head coach, who is now in the Wisconsin and National Halls of Fame.  He often stated that coaching was an extension of teaching and counseling.  Coaches are educators, but it's not always obvious.  The reality is that educators work toward the development of all members of the school community, by helping learn students learn to connect essential academic, emotional, social, components that comprise a healthy individual and healthy society.  Wrestling coaches certainly don't just concentrate on the physical skills of the sport.
Well said. I'm I right now in reading this that you two know each other and are from the same school district?

We know each other, but only through mutual friends, attending wrestling meets, and this website.  We never coached together, or against each other, however.  The coach to which I am referring in my example is Jim Richie.  A great example to emulate, as is my father, a longtime coach in Illinois.  
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

MNbadger

Wraslfan: "You teach the sport you are coaching"

No, I teach young men and women to become good citizens both on the practice field, gym, wrestling room, and classroom.  
When sports are threatened budget-wise we (coaches, parents, and participants) are the first to state that they are extensions of the classroom and academic day.  If you don't believe this, then sports should be removed from the school setting all together.
This (the belief that sports is an extension of the classroom) is part of most state's high school league mission statements.  I can tell you that it has been stated and discussed throughout my nearly 40 years of coaching.

You once again try to twist things wraslfan.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wraslfan

Quote from: MNbadger on January 19, 2016, 06:26:21 PM
Wraslfan: "You teach the sport you are coaching"

No, I teach young men and women to become good citizens both on the practice field, gym, wrestling room, and classroom.  
When sports are threatened budget-wise we (coaches, parents, and participants) are the first to state that they are extensions of the classroom and academic day.  If you don't believe this, then sports should be removed from the school setting all together.
This (the belief that sports is an extension of the classroom) is part of most state's high school league mission statements.  I can tell you that it has been stated and discussed throughout my nearly 40 years of coaching.

You once again try to twist things wraslfan.
I understand full well the other "teachings" of a coach, I also understand the only twisting going on is the response from the WIAA, and those defending the initial statement and the back peddling from the WIAA.  I stated in an earlier thread, I have no issue with the WIAA, but when you get something wrong, admit it and move on.
I have coached to. I understand that you teach more than technique on the court, field or mat. I also know that most coaches do not remind others how relevant they are in that aspect of "teaching." That is part of being a good coach and leader. Most coaches just do it and don't ask for recognition for it. Lets not pretend either, there are guidelines students have to meet in order to be eligible to be in sports. In that respect sports  is an extension of the classroom.

wraslfan

Quote from: npope on January 19, 2016, 04:52:07 PM

Really?  You are in the minority here.  This is the reason we have sports in school.

+1,000 
So wraslfan, you think the extent as to what is being taught in the high school classrom these days is math and science? While the names of the courses include things like science and math, and sociology and history and econbomics and art, etc., there is a tremendous amount of learning going on related to appropriate behavioral interactions, expectations, problem solving, goal setting, etc. I am pleased to say that learning in the current school enviornment is about a lot more than readin', writin' and 'rithmatic.
No, I actually agree with what you posted. 

MNbadger

Wow, Talk about backpedaling!

"So when you two were coaching, how much math and science were you covering? That had to be a strange setting. "Ok, and when your done drilling takedowns, let's gather at the chalkboard and work on our science project." You teach the sport you are coaching. Hardly what you are portraying and it's not an extension of the classroom in the sense you are trying to make it out to be. I get it, you both are super important and have a higher "societal value" than most others."

You also stated in an earlier post that "the basketball court is not an extension of the classroom".

Then, you post this:

"I understand full well the other "teachings" of a coach, I also understand the only twisting going on is the response from the WIAA, and those defending the initial statement and the back peddling from the WIAA.  I stated in an earlier thread, I have no issue with the WIAA, but when you get something wrong, admit it and move on.
I have coached to. I understand that you teach more than technique on the court, field or mat. I also know that most coaches do not remind others how relevant they are in that aspect of "teaching." That is part of being a good coach and leader. Most coaches just do it and don't ask for recognition for it. Lets not pretend either, there are guidelines students have to meet in order to be eligible to be in sports. In that respect sports  is an extension of the classroom."

If you are not backpedaling you certainly are contradicting yourself.
No one "reminded " anyone of anything or "asked for recognition".  
You made a claim (an incorrect one) that sports were not an extension of the classroom and it was rebutted to your displeasure.

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

MNbadger

Wraslfan, one of your earlier posts:
"The basketball court is not an extension of the classroom. Actually, yes it is  Is the role of the WIAA to educate? (I thought that was the role of teachers)   Actually it is (at least it is for the MSHSL, I have partaken of many educational offerings from them)  I assume the WIAA provides similar educational experiences.  Is their role to monitor kids twitter accounts? To suspend athletes a ridiculous amount of time for being critical of the WIAA? In case you aren't aware, that suspension bothers a LOT of people as much as the hysterical concern over cheers. Some people / organizations really must relish in the power that comes with their role...or have really think skin. It's not like she said a prayer before the game.

MarkK

"The people in Wisconsin are stupid," Joe Theismann said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-wisconsin-disrespectful-cheers-david-whitley-20160116-column.html

I would take that as a taunt from Theismann.   Chicken Legs!
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

MarkK

"It's slam dunk unconstitutional," said Frank LoMonte, an attorney and executive director of the Student Press Law Center. "Citizens are not under a duty to criticize in the most polite way."

Mark Kende, director of the Drake Constitutional Law Center, also sees free speech problems when schools prohibit criticism like Gehl used.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/01/15/say-what-student-chants-games-can-seem-like-taunts/78860910/
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

MarkK

To Be Clear

To be clear... there has been.....
NO new directives,
NO new rules,
NO new mandates,
NO new enforcement expectations.

https://twitter.com/wiaawi/status/687307981562732544

bigoil

Quote from: MNbadger on January 19, 2016, 09:29:01 PM
Wraslfan, one of your earlier posts:
"The basketball court is not an extension of the classroom. Actually, yes it is  Is the role of the WIAA to educate? (I thought that was the role of teachers)   Actually it is (at least it is for the MSHSL, I have partaken of many educational offerings from them)  I assume the WIAA provides similar educational experiences.  Is their role to monitor kids twitter accounts? To suspend athletes a ridiculous amount of time for being critical of the WIAA? In case you aren't aware, that suspension bothers a LOT of people as much as the hysterical concern over cheers. Some people / organizations really must relish in the power that comes with their role...or have really think skin. It's not like she said a prayer before the game.

This has nothing to do with being an extension of the classroom.

In order to compete in HS sports, you must be a HS student and the student athlete on the field, court or mat will be held to a high standard of sportsmanship.

Last time I checked, you do not need to be a student to attend a HS competition and thus it can not be an extension of the classroom when I cheer, yell traveling, stalling, airball, or Squeeze, nor is it when my favorite song na na na na na na na na hey hey hey goodbye!

MarkK

The Misconception of chanting "USA"

We would like to clarify that we do not think chanting "USA" is unsportsmanlike when it is intended to be "United States of America." However, it has come to our attention that this abbreviation has also been used..... (I can't write any more.  
)  Read it yourself.  Please tell me that someone at the WIAA really didn't write that tweet.  It has to be fake.  Please.  Their Twitter account had to be hacked.  No one would be that stupid in Wisconsin to write that.  Did Joe Theismann post that?  Someone call up the WIAA and have them check their passwords to their Social Media Accounts.   It just can't be real.

https://twitter.com/wiaawi/status/687303296701329409

It's in the National Review.   It has to be real.  I think they ought to pull that tweet down.  Now I can't get that out of my head.  I will never be able to watch a replay of the 1980 Miracle on Ice Again. 

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/429791/wisconsin-college-sports-chants-hurt-peoples-feelings-banned

MNbadger

That was not the debate.  Sports are an extension of the classroom certainly for the athletes and coaches.  The students are expected to adhere to school rules as well at any school function, even off campus (field trips for example).
The practice of yelling "airball" at a high school athlete is still unacceptable to me.  As an adult you certainly can do so............