Could Madison host the NCAA's?

Started by leg turk, March 13, 2014, 09:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

It seems like Madison hosting the Big Tens was a smashing success!  Would it be possible for us to someday host Nationals?  How cool would that be!

Musky Hunter

Quote from: leg turk on March 13, 2014, 09:28:47 PM
It seems like Madison hosting the Big Tens was a smashing success!  Would it be possible for us to someday host Nationals?  How cool would that be!

I think it would be very possible.  Wisconsin did a great job hosting the NCAA Men's BBall when they came.  This really is a great town.  Hated missing the Big Ten's but I was in Jamaica.  Heard that it was a great venue. 

jjgris

From entertainment stand point Madison would be great. I don't believe they have the hotel space for nationals though.
The other option would be to host in Milwaukee where there is the hotel space but not enough entertainment around the Bradley Center.

hammen

They definitely have the hotel space. They host a sold out crowd for Individual state every year. My only concern would be the mat space, but I have a feeling that 8 mats wouldn't be an issue. If they can fit the mats, it would be a really great venue for the tournament. If Omaha can host it, Madison is more than capable.

bigoil

6,000 rooms in Madison, camp Randall hosts 77,000 fans and I'm certain they don't all drive home.

There are another 8,000 rooms in the Dells.

crossface21

The group I was with at the Big Tens had this same discussion. My thoughts were that I didn't think the Kohl Center would be big enough. Based off of the attendance figures I found, I was wrong. I thought the D1's drew more than what they did. With that said, I think the thing holding back this from ever happening would be hotel space. The Big Tens drawing 10,000 alone has to look pretty good should anyone ever make a bid for it.

TomM

I would like to see the Kohl Center and Madison have the NCAA's D1.
I am guessing** that will not happen.
Looking at info below, it would appear the Kohl Center does not seat enough people with eight mats down.
Des Moines seated a few hundred less than the Kohl Center, but that was too small and I am told that was only done because somehow they had planned to use St. Louis for 2013 and that was not possible at some point (all hearsay).

Kohl Center Seats 15,325 for ice hockey.... that is *'about the equivalent of 8 mats'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohl_Center
17,230 (basketball)
15,325 (hockey)

2014 NCAA D1 Host;
Chesapeake Energy Arena seats 18,036 for hockey*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Energy_Arena
Basketball: 18,203
Hockey: 18,036

2015 NCAA D1 Host (and they have hosted numerous times in the last 15 years.)
Scottrade Center St. Louis seats 19,150 for hockey*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottrade_Center
Ice hockey: 19,150
Basketball and Concerts: 22,000

2013 NCAA D1 Host;
Wells Fargo Arena (Des Moines) seats  15,181 for hockey*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Fargo_Arena_(Des_Moines)
16,110 (basketball)
15,181 (hockey)

**Start counting now for how many seconds it will take badgerjohn to refute my 'guess'
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

Quote from: Musky Hunter on March 13, 2014, 09:55:46 PM
Quote from: leg turk on March 13, 2014, 09:28:47 PM

I think it would be very possible.  Wisconsin did a great job hosting the NCAA Men's BBall when they came.  This really is a great town.  Hated missing the Big Ten's but I was in Jamaica.  Heard that it was a great venue. 

So, how was the Musky fishing down there?   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

boowrestle

I was at NCAAs in Philly few yrs ago and it was sold out for finals and i thought i heard just under 20,000 fans,jmo i dont think you can get enough mats down in kohl center,if i remember right there were  either 8 or 10 mats in philly.
you can run but you cannot hide.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

stp

Seems like NCAA wants to keep championships more centralized in the country but after the success of the B10 tourny in Madison hopefully I'm wrong.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

badgerjohn

Quote from: TomM on March 13, 2014, 10:27:26 PM
Looking at info below, it would appear the Kohl Center does not seat enough people with eight mats down..............

**Start counting now for how many seconds it will take badgerjohn to refute my 'guess'

aw shucks, I'm feeling the love  :-\

your guess is dead on, the kohl center does not have enuff seats (fact),  does not have room for 8 matts (guess), and third I thought the ncaa decided some years ago they will not have the tourny on campus again for any school even if the venue is large enuff.  I'm prolly wrong on this but I think UNI Dome 1997 was last time on campus (more than 15 years ago)
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

leg turk

Quote from: badgerjohn on March 14, 2014, 08:25:13 AM
Quote from: TomM on March 13, 2014, 10:27:26 PM
Looking at info below, it would appear the Kohl Center does not seat enough people with eight mats down..............

aw shucks, I'm feeling the love  :-\

your guess is dead on, the kohl center does not have enuff seats (fact),  does not have room for 8 matts (guess), and third I thought the ncaa decided some years ago they will not have the tourny on campus again for any school even if the venue is large enuff.  I'm prolly wrong on this but I think UNI Dome 1997 was last time on campus (more than 15 years ago)

Well that's a Debbie downer.

woody53

The Kohl center floor does have enough room for eight mats as I have done the layout for the WIAA for options at State. Granted, this limits circulation on the floor and there would be no place for media and or cheerleaders. Eight mats can be done tough.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

ankle pick

Quote from: woody53 on March 14, 2014, 08:49:17 AM
The Kohl center floor does have enough room for eight mats as I have done the layout for the WIAA for options at State. Granted, this limits circulation on the floor and there would be no place for media and or cheerleaders. Eight mats can be done tough.

who needs cheerleaders?   As far as media, the local ones would not show up anyway, as they would have some local high school chess match to cover.