2020 Tournament Assignments are out

Started by crossface21, May 01, 2019, 11:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JQ6151

Quote from: dforsythe on May 02, 2019, 07:02:35 AM
Can anyone explain to me how Delaven-Darien and Big Foot/Williams Bay ended up in D1.

I've heard people saying that they decided to bump up to Division 1- not sure how true this is though.

Bandit

Curious? How does a school get to host a Regional or Team Sectional? What is the process? Can any school host a Team Sectional?

imwi

Quote from: Bandit on May 02, 2019, 08:35:11 AM
Curious? How does a school get to host a Regional or Team Sectional? What is the process? Can any school host a Team Sectional?

I'm pretty sure the school just puts in for it or says "we can do regionals/sections for 2020", then the WIAA runs through the list.  It does seem some schools get a regional every year, other regionals it seems they have to assign schools to host it as in they didn't volunteer. Some on that list have "site needed"

Bandit

Thats kind of what I thought but was told there is more to it than that.

FortWrestling

Quote from: Bandit on May 02, 2019, 09:25:44 AM
Thats kind of what I thought but was told there is more to it than that.

A school's AD needs to put in for it but the WIAA does ultimately make the decision.  One of the major considerations is gym space and seating (and of course geography) - on the application it does ask for capacity.  It does seem like some schools always host but I'd counter and say that there are many schools that cannot host given their gym capacity or, in some areas, only a couple schools actually put in to host.  Some repeat hosts have the advantage of either a large gym space w/ adequate seating and/or they're in an area where not a lot of schools are putting in to host.  There's a lot of ADs that would rather not host a WIAA tournament event, or, would be more open to hosting a single game (basketball) or single dual (team sectional) versus an entire, all day event.  And of course, you have to consider the coach and support programs.  I've talked to a lot of coaches that don't want to host because the duties of putting it together are much more involved than if you just have to prepare your kids for an event and travel.

For whatever it's worth, we always put in to host a WIAA Sectional (and this year a Regional) in years we don't host Conference.  It's an added fundraiser for our club and is a great way to promote the sport in our community.  That said, we weren't selected this year.

thequad

I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

DocWrestling

I am thinking very few schools put into host these events.  They do take a fair amount of work and time for both AD and club and you will not make much because the WIAA takes so much.  Better off hosting your own tournament during season as it is same amount of work and you get all the profits.

See profit breakdown below to see what school collects.  Club would get profits from concessions.

We hosted a D1 regional and after that vowed to never host a regional again.   Barely made any money for the club or school for the work and time

We have hosted a D1 sectional and because crowds are a little bigger it is more profitable but still not quite sure it is worth the time.

Some of these D3 regionals with very few wrestlers cannot make anything.  I know the WIAA needs funding but they are using schools do to all the work and put in the time and then taking 75% of profits.  That makes no sense in any sport but they can continue to do it until fewer schools request. 

From a school standpoint it is more profitable to host a sectional basketball game with the crowd, shorter time period, and no need for mats, etc.

Hosting obviously helps promote wrestling in your community and should help your wrestlers with being at home.

Regional Finances
. Finances
(1) Host School Allowances
(a) A financial report provided by the WIAA must be filed by each school conducting a meet.
(b) The following items are authorized for payment out of tournament receipts:
1) Fees and expenses of officials.
2) Host school - 20% of receipts to cover items such as lights, workers, host manager's fee - $120, etc.
Minimum of $800.
(c) The balance remaining after the above items have been deducted from total receipts shall be allocated as
follows:
1) 25% to host school.
2) 75% to WIAA.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

downtown

It makes no sense that the same school would get to host both regionals and sectionals.  Or team sectionals in between.  Unless no other schools wanted to host.  Which I highly doubt no other schools wanted to host.  I agree with FortWrestling the same schools if they do a good job should keep hosting sectionals or keep bouncing it between a couple of schools that have the room and the ability to host.  Stop giving it to schools that suck at hosting tournaments.  It makes the day longer and pisses people off when there is no concessions or multiple random hour breaks.

asdfg

Quote from: Numbers on May 01, 2019, 03:29:27 PM
Waterford and Burlington in the same sectional  :o

Mukwonago/Burlington/Waterford/Oak Creek/Union Grove/The Kenosha's/Racine Park....Wow.

Hard to believe any regional/sectional with more returning state qualifiers in Div I.

Div I really seemed to got even more lumped in by conferences.  What is the point of a conference meet when in 1-2 weeks you will see them again?

bigG

Conference tourneys seem to be falling to the wayside. This is why many on here think regionals should replace conference. I do.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

thequad

I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

crossface21

Quote from: asdfg on May 02, 2019, 04:09:34 PM

Mukwonago/Burlington/Waterford/Oak Creek/Union Grove/The Kenosha's/Racine Park....Wow.

Hard to believe any regional/sectional with more returning state qualifiers in Div I.

Div I really seemed to got even more lumped in by conferences.  What is the point of a conference meet when in 1-2 weeks you will see them again?

30 returning SQ's to be exact.

bigoil

Quote from: crossface21 on May 02, 2019, 09:05:59 PM
Quote from: asdfg on May 02, 2019, 04:09:34 PM

30 returning SQ's to be exact.
Wow, fortunately you are D1 and more than 2 per weight go on but unfortunate for you, this is D1 and only 28 make it to state out of sectionals.