Why kids quit wrestling.

Started by ramjet, September 29, 2015, 06:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do think the reason is that some kids do not go out for wrestling?

Think the singlets are weird.
10 (16.7%)
To tough physically and do not want to work.
41 (68.3%)
Specific program (school is not great wrestling school)
10 (16.7%)
Not exposed to it at young age.
7 (11.7%)
Too much commitment required.
20 (33.3%)
Weight cutting
9 (15%)
Crazy Parents demand too much
3 (5%)
Injuries and physical strain on the body.
0 (0%)
Grades
0 (0%)
Competing sports discouraging wrestling.
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: October 09, 2015, 06:42:42 AM

ramjet

Quote from: Dale Einerson on October 13, 2015, 02:28:26 PM
Come on Ram, read for understanding,  please.

According to the respondents, it is clear that all sports, including football, are losing participants because wrestling is too hard and they don't want to work to hard in wrestling.

My point is not at all what you suggest it is, and no, I don't believe it is obvious at all or the preponderance of the respondents wouldn't have responded the way they did.

I quoted your first sentence plus your last sentence above indicates you do not think thier opinion is correct? It's a deep subject maybe not as easy to identify as we think. But we have an idea of how folks feel it is very relevant in that it identifies perspective of the respondents.

Dale Einerson

Have to agree and acknowledge it is a deep topic with many variables.

Having said that, I believe our respondents to the survey haven't come close to the real issues behind why wrestling numbers are dwindling.  It isn't that the respondents are lazy and shallow, it is perhaps the format of a poll v. the breadth of variables.

I ask, if all sports are losing numbers/participants, how can we say wrestling is losing participants because wrestling is a challenging sport and kids don't want to put in the hard work?

Further, is wrestling losing numbers/participants at a greater pace than other sports, or even extra-curricular activities? 

stritch

I think the topic is further complicated as the subject is "Why kids quit wrestling" and the poll asks "Why kids don't go out for wrestling".  Those are two completely different animals in many cases.

For example, kids may quit when they find out how much work is involved.  Some kids maybe don't go out in the first place because of the singlet.