Why kids quit wrestling.

Started by ramjet, September 29, 2015, 06:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do think the reason is that some kids do not go out for wrestling?

Think the singlets are weird.
10 (16.7%)
To tough physically and do not want to work.
41 (68.3%)
Specific program (school is not great wrestling school)
10 (16.7%)
Not exposed to it at young age.
7 (11.7%)
Too much commitment required.
20 (33.3%)
Weight cutting
9 (15%)
Crazy Parents demand too much
3 (5%)
Injuries and physical strain on the body.
0 (0%)
Grades
0 (0%)
Competing sports discouraging wrestling.
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: October 09, 2015, 06:42:42 AM

bigoil

Quote from: ramjet on October 10, 2015, 08:32:27 AM
Quote from: bigoil on October 07, 2015, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: imnofish on October 06, 2015, 08:38:34 PM
I think that in today's social culture, "It's gay" is an easy excuse.  I really doubt the authenticity of that statement, but I suspect what they really mean is "I feel self-conscious in the singlet."  American males would rather sound macho, instead of admitting personal vulnerability. 
Those are not excuses, real examples that I heard a week ago. To be clear neither kid quit, one was my son. But if that happens to two kids I know in one week in a wrestling community, I'm guessing it is happening a lot more and the impact on each kid is different.

I do not suppose they join the swim team either then.  :o

In the end I do not feel that wrestling is suffering any more looks in participation than any other sport these days. Fact is its cyclical and I am sure there is some data to prove that. Basketball may suffer but it not that apparent because 5 that's all you need so the bench goes down slightly so what. Football plenty of 8 man teams cropping up these days. Why football is so popular? The reasons are as vast as any some you tell you soccer is taking kids some will tell you head injuries , some will tell you declining enrollment. How about golf one kid can make up the team.

Greco I remember when my son started in our little club consisted of 2 wrestlers two coaches and parents. The guy who ran that program stayed the course and my son and the other young man made thier marks at the WWF State tournament and we all had allot of fun. Sure more kids would have great but the interest was not thier and baseball and fishing and prom and everything else kept others from joining. 

So all this should come down to is; Take care of your own house and make your team or program better the rest will follow.

In other words; much ado about nothing.
So you start a thread purportedly to ask a question and I give real life examples and you dismiss because your experience of your son was different. Seems to be pretty close minded to me.

ramjet

Quote from: bigoil on October 10, 2015, 09:38:47 AM
Quote from: ramjet on October 10, 2015, 08:32:27 AM
Quote from: bigoil on October 07, 2015, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: imnofish on October 06, 2015, 08:38:34 PM
I think that in today's social culture, "It's gay" is an easy excuse.  I really doubt the authenticity of that statement, but I suspect what they really mean is "I feel self-conscious in the singlet."  American males would rather sound macho, instead of admitting personal vulnerability. 
Those are not excuses, real examples that I heard a week ago. To be clear neither kid quit, one was my son. But if that happens to two kids I know in one week in a wrestling community, I'm guessing it is happening a lot more and the impact on each kid is different.

I do not suppose they join the swim team either then.  :o

In the end I do not feel that wrestling is suffering any more looks in participation than any other sport these days. Fact is its cyclical and I am sure there is some data to prove that. Basketball may suffer but it not that apparent because 5 that's all you need so the bench goes down slightly so what. Football plenty of 8 man teams cropping up these days. Why football is so popular? The reasons are as vast as any some you tell you soccer is taking kids some will tell you head injuries , some will tell you declining enrollment. How about golf one kid can make up the team.

Greco I remember when my son started in our little club consisted of 2 wrestlers two coaches and parents. The guy who ran that program stayed the course and my son and the other young man made thier marks at the WWF State tournament and we all had allot of fun. Sure more kids would have great but the interest was not thier and baseball and fishing and prom and everything else kept others from joining. 

So all this should come down to is; Take care of your own house and make your team or program better the rest will follow.

In other words; much ado about nothing.
So you start a thread purportedly to ask a question and I give real life examples and you dismiss because your experience of your son was different. Seems to be pretty close minded to me.

Not just my son but ALL those who wrestle and continue to wrestle and do not quit. Like I said it starts at home and nice deflection on the swim team or uniform statement. Also if you want to refer to this unscientific poll derived from a small sample of captive audience for facts then one might think wrestling is just a physically tough demanding sport and some kids just cannot hack.  Is that fair enough for you based on the above poll?

bigoil

Tough sport is actually one of the reasons kids quit but I guess in your mind there is no reason kids quit because you only know ones that haven't. Or is it the only reason kids quit is because of home?

I thought the question was about wrestling not swimming or football.

ramjet

Quote from: bigoil on October 10, 2015, 12:38:19 PM
Tough sport is actually one of the reasons kids quit but I guess in your mind there is no reason kids quit because you only know ones that haven't. Or is it the only reason kids quit is because of home?

Boy rather confrontational today the point I was making they quit for the same reasons they did 18 years ago or maybe longer or maybe forever. Like many the focus on those who quit rather than those who do not. When a person or kid commits to something they should be encouraged to continue even if it gets tough or someone calls them gay or whatever. Unless there is medical reason of course. Or are you advocating that kids should just give up anything they want? You brought up the "looks gay" thing and if a kid quits because of that then the parent is not communicating to that child effectively that as I stated Kids or people who use that tactic usually do so because they are unable to do what the wrestler is doing sacrifice hard work and commitment.

The uniform thing is just a cover for other reasons some not flattering like not wanting to fail etc...

The best program in the world can be laid at kids feet but if that is not reinforced at home they will quit anyhow. If a parent inappropriate term04 and moan about driving around wth the child and complain about giving up weekends or whatever then tell how is that not in the families home turf? If the family or some parents say it's ok then quit. Or It's ok too quit. My goodness sorry the expereince with my son has been only a positive expereince and wrestling was and is a great sport and fun for us. But maybe we should hang out head in shame because we enjoy it  and that's win loose or draw.........sorry that is problem for you......actually I am not sorry!!!!!!

bigoil

Quote from: ramjet on October 10, 2015, 02:17:53 PM

Boy rather confrontational today the point I was making they quit for the same reasons they did 18 years ago or maybe longer or maybe forever. Like many the focus on those who quit rather than those who do not. When a person or kid commits to something they should be encouraged to continue even if it gets tough or someone calls them gay or whatever. Unless there is medical reason of course. Or are you advocating that kids should just give up anything they want? You brought up the "looks gay" thing and if a kid quits because of that then the parent is not communicating to that child effectively that as I stated Kids or people who use that tactic usually do so because they are unable to do what the wrestler is doing sacrifice hard work and commitment.

The uniform thing is just a cover for other reasons some not flattering like not wanting to fail etc...

The best program in the world can be laid at kids feet but if that is not reinforced at home they will quit anyhow. If a parent urinate and moan about driving around wth the child and complain about giving up weekends or whatever then tell how is that not in the families home turf? If the family or some parents say it's ok then quit. Or It's ok too quit. My goodness sorry the expereince with my son has been only a positive expereince and wrestling was and is a great sport and fun for us. But maybe we should hang out head in shame because we enjoy it  and that's win loose or draw.........sorry that is problem for you......actually I am not sorry!!!!!!

Think the singlets are weird.   - 10 (9.9%)
To tough physically and do not want to work.   - 41 (40.6%)
Specific program (school is not great wrestling school)   - 10 (9.9%)
Not exposed to it at young age.   - 7 (6.9%)
Too much commitment required.   - 20 (19.8%)
Weight cutting   - 9 (8.9%)
Crazy Parents demand too much   - 3 (3%)
Injuries and physical strain on the body.   - 0 (0%)
Grades   - 0 (0%)

Again, YOU asked a question. YOU didn't ask why kids quit today vs 18 yrs ago.

Per YOUR poll, there are several votes for various "reasons" but the only RIGHT answer is that parents didn't communicate, it starts and ends at home.

ramjet

Quote from: bigoil on October 10, 2015, 11:01:34 PM

The best program in the world can be laid at kids feet but if that is not reinforced at home they will quit anyhow. If a parent urinate and moan about driving around wth the child and complain about giving up weekends or whatever then tell how is that not in the families home turf? If the family or some parents say it's ok then quit. Or It's ok too quit. My goodness sorry the expereince with my son has been only a positive expereince and wrestling was and is a great sport and fun for us. But maybe we should hang out head in shame because we enjoy it  and that's win loose or draw.........sorry that is problem for you......actually I am not sorry!!!!!!

Grades   - 0 (0%)

Per YOUR poll, there are several votes for various "reasons" but the only RIGHT answer is that parents didn't communicate, it starts and ends at home.

Wow you seem to be taking the last sentence personally?

Think I am wrong about starting at home thing?

Let's look at some very succeful programs such as Edgar, Coleman, Stratford they have deep rooted culture and wrestling families.

A too often today some parents want to do everything they can to make thier Childs life an easy stress free life and in many cases I have seen allow them to give up on things just because it gets a little tough. Tough there is word that seems to resonate with those who took the poll. Tough wrestling is too darn tough so let's save face and say" The singlet makes me look gay." Or it takes too many weekends and commitment to training.......I say work ethic and responsibility and commitment begin at home again tough if you feel differently and I am not telling anyone how to raise there children but I am saying enough whining about a decline In participation when every parent or mentor have an opportunity to change that.

bigG

Interesting trend. I see a lot of girls going "dance". Wrestling will soon be fading in my little town. Youth numbers are down, etc. Bumber. Wish I had time to donate. I gotta get home sometime, though.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigoil

Quote from: ramjet on October 11, 2015, 10:02:36 AM
Quote from: bigoil on October 10, 2015, 11:01:34 PM

The best program in the world can be laid at kids feet but if that is not reinforced at home they will quit anyhow. If a parent urinate and moan about driving around wth the child and complain about giving up weekends or whatever then tell how is that not in the families home turf? If the family or some parents say it's ok then quit. Or It's ok too quit. My goodness sorry the expereince with my son has been only a positive expereince and wrestling was and is a great sport and fun for us. But maybe we should hang out head in shame because we enjoy it  and that's win loose or draw.........sorry that is problem for you......actually I am not sorry!!!!!!

Grades   - 0 (0%)

"Wow you seem to be taking the last sentence personally?" No not at all, I think you are closeminded despite asking a question. To be clear, neither my child or the older child I know have quit, I'm telling you that it is hasay work ethic and responsibility and commitment begin at home again tough if you feel differently and I am not telling anyone how to raise there children but I am saying enough whining about a decline In participation when every parent or mentor have an opportunity to change that.ppening and is real.

"I say work ethic and responsibility and commitment begin at home again tough if you feel differently and I am not telling anyone how to raise there children but I am saying enough whining about a decline In participation when every parent or mentor have an opportunity to change that.

"Wow you seem to be taking the last sentence personally?"

No not at all, I think you are closeminded despite asking a question. To be clear, neither my child or the older child I know have quit, I'm telling you that it is happening and is real.

"I say work ethic and responsibility and commitment begin at home again tough if you feel differently and I am not telling anyone how to raise there children but I am saying enough whining about a decline In participation when every parent or mentor have an opportunity to change that."

If you already have your mind made up, why open up the question and throw down answers you don't agree with?

ramjet

I just opened a poll to see how folks felt please get past this. You are obsessing. Everyone has opinion I added allot of reasons yes they are my opinion. I could run this poll six months from now and get the same results? Just a poll, did you vote? I put the singlet thing up there and did not restrict the number of items you could vote for. My opinion is my opinion tough you do not agree with it. Do your own poll maybe you will get the results you want? Because my opinion may not fall in line with the items you experience that is the way goes different areas different experiences. But although the poll as informal and lame as it may be does indicate with this group of voters the overwhelming reasons kids quit is the sport is tough and takes allot of commitment. Closed minded sure I have been called much worse trust me. Trends are what they are and any actuarial study may show a variety of reasons and trends for that decline. But in the end it comes down to support,encouragement and leadership from the home a mentor or the community and most likely IMHO all those things.

bigoil

Actually, I don't disagree with your opinion. I disagree that is the one and only reason. Kids are around kids more than they are parents, there are other influences.

ramjet

Ok I agree kids succumb to outside influence and peer pressure of a negative nature. But parents , mentors , coaches and community all can help a young impressionable person get through the negative comments and influence.

Glad we could get through that..... ;D

Dale Einerson

I suggest the poll results are significantly flawed; are part of the reason we will continue to see less numbers for the foreseeable future.

While I entirely agree the sport is tough and some young people do not want to work to achieve in the sport, I believe that belief by itself is a selfie of what those engaged as fans, coaches, parents and participants want to believe.  Further, this belief is comparable to the chest thumping a basketball player does after making a lay up.

Football coaches, some of them, discourage wrestling because even though we know good wrestlers make good football players, they want their kids in the weight room.  This, despite all true evidence to the contrary...  And, we all should agree that one of the funniest things we see in sports is football players, at the start of a 4th quarter raising their hand with the number 4 showing to somehow indicate that all of the leg cramps and huffing and puffing through 6 second plays followed by 30 seconds of relative down time was not indicative of their relative lack of conditioning going into the 4th quarter.  Wrestlers know 6-7 minutes of relatively uninterrupted go time, which is approximately 2X the go time in a 1 hour football game. 

Friday night has lights and a large percentage of the town fills the stadium.  Wrestlers often have parents and siblings and sometimes grandparents in the stands...and, those faithful few that put the wrestling schedule on their calendar every year.  There is that.

Football puts cheerleaders on the sideline; wrestling shoos them away, calling them "dumb" and "of no value."  Yet, another 6-10 young ladies in sports attire add to the noise, excitement; they bring family and friends with them.

All those guys out for football; just drive by a practice and notice how many are standing, for how long; how many seldom see meaningful action until the 4-6 windsprints at the end of practice.  Comparatively wrestling is much harder, much much harder.  And the football player can drive through McDonalds after practice, study without being as fatigued or dehydrated.  And still, football numbers are going down.

If football numbers are going down, then really, can the reason wrestling numbers are going down be because wrestling is too hard?  By comparison, football isn't as hard and numbers are going down.  I call "horse hockey" on the poll results.

ramjet

QuoteI suggest the poll results are significantly flawed; are part of the reason we will continue to see less numbers for the foreseeable future.

No kidding it's flawed nobody represented it otherwise....let see; small sample size, sample participants all have a preconceived notion about wrestling. The poll was collaboration of random statements based on my opinion and participant feedback while running the poll. But it is opinion of the folks who cast the 62 votes.

Did you cast any votes?

Thank Dale for pointing out the obvious.  ;D

Dale Einerson

Come on Ram, read for understanding,  please.

According to the respondents, it is clear that all sports, including football, are losing participants because wrestling is too hard and they don't want to work to hard in wrestling.

My point is not at all what you suggest it is, and no, I don't believe it is obvious at all or the preponderance of the respondents wouldn't have responded the way they did.