I'm not #101

Started by stp, February 27, 2014, 07:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stp

In the late 80's Ohio HS wrestler Nick Cianciola was a machine. Placed 5th at state as a freshman in AAA, then two undefeated seasons and two dominant State final bouts (I believe he majored in both finals) and he was unchallenged his senior season.
Nicks opponent in the state finals his Senior year was Brian Haring.  Haring was a "nobody". He had moved back to Ohio from Texas to Twinsburg and had a solid but unspectacular junior year. He didn't win a single regular season tournament that year. He was ranked 4th, but the weight was weak because so many wrestlers moved away from Cianciola.

The pre-state prediction report (Brakeman report) put it this way:
"This is a rather weak weight class dominated by the senior, two time state champion Nick Cianciola. His closest bout last year was 18-7, and it will be pretty much the same this year. He is so excellent on his feet that no one at this level has any hope of matching him move-for-move. He'll be one of the proliferation of three-time titlists this year, and but for a criteria loss in the Division I semi-final his freshman year he would be a rare four-time champ. The battle here is for second place."

After his semi-final win (his 100th in a row), Cianciola gave an interview to the Columbus Dispatch.  In that article Cianciola was asked how he felt about the 100-match win streak and he said something to the effect of 'number 100 is nice, but number 101 will be much sweeter'. He was, of course, talking about the importance of the next match and how winning his third State Titile was the goal, not the streak. Mr. Haring, read that quote and decided he had been slighted. He was no one's victory lap. He went out that morning and had a t-shirt made.

Before the finals match begins, they introduce the participants. They introduce Cianciola as a 3X placer and 2X champion and then they introduce Haring as, well, Brian Haring. When they call his name, he takes off his Twisburgh warm-up and reveals a shirt that says "I'm not # 101".

video of match-
http://cable9.pegcentral.com/player.php?video=8fd45c4540b7e473b8e27badb5b2e923

Also in link the finals from '87 Alan Fried vs Shjamil Pattie.
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

1Iota

Wow.  After watching it I am convinced Cianciola would win 99 out of 100 matches against this same kid.  That is what you have to love about the State Tournament!

ICEMAN112

Very nice post! I should've had a shirt made for my son " I'm only a Freshman" when he takes on the #1 ranked kid today at 145. ;D I guess miracles can happen. Hoping for one today!

stp

Quote from: ICEMAN112 on February 27, 2014, 10:35:55 AM
Very nice post! I should've had a shirt made for my son " I'm only a Freshman" when he takes on the #1 ranked kid today at 145. ;D I guess miracles can happen. Hoping for one today!

Well?  How did it turn out for your son?

:-\

MarkK

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Wisconsinpitbull

Any given match, anything can happen. I think if more kids believed that, a lot more of "anything" WOULD happen. I like to tell kids about Stoughton's Ricky Nelson, who came into his finals match a definite underdog against a returning state champ Kevin Nolan, and got a lateral drop on him with only 20 seconds left in the 3rd period to come from behind and win. Sometimes good and even great wrestlers make mistakes, and if you're looking for those opportunities instead of letting your soul get chipped, you might be able to capitalize on them.
http://host.madison.com/sports/surprising-finish-stoughton-s-nelson-upsets-nolan-at/article_d183d577-e2e2-5b17-9c1c-b6ce5dabada8.html
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.-Twain

wrestler133

That's a great story.
Thanks for posting it.
Gets my adrenaline pumping just watching it!

woody53

This is so now ! There will be wrestlers this weekend that will be thrown into unexpected opportunities, because of team state. Let it happen and enjoy. !
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

npope

The fact that he ripped off his warm-up and had that t-shirt on was big time cool. That should be in some movie scene.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

hammen

Quote from: npope on March 06, 2014, 02:13:23 PM
The fact that he ripped off his warm-up and had that t-shirt on was big time cool. That should be in some movie scene.

"Stop Pre"

npope

Quote from: hammen on March 06, 2014, 02:42:34 PM

"Stop Pre"

???

Nat Pope

stp

Yea I only wish the video showed the tshirt.   It's been talked about in Ohio HS wrestling history ever since it happened.

Great to have the video available online.

stp

Quote from: npope on March 06, 2014, 02:50:58 PM

"Stop Pre"

???

Steve Prefontaine joke.  Steve and his Oregon fans always wore "GO PRE!"  shirts.
Before the '72 Olympic Trials Prefontaine's competition had shirts made (tongue and cheek) that were shaped like a stop sign that said "STOP PRE".  Steve Prefontaine even wore one afterwards....

They didn't stop Pre and it was only meant as a joke.  Not exactly the same as the I'm not #101.  ;)

npope

Quote from: stp on March 06, 2014, 03:20:22 PM
Quote from: npope on March 06, 2014, 02:50:58 PM

"Stop Pre"

???

Steve Prefontaine joke.  Steve and his Oregon fans always wore "GO PRE!"  shirts.
Before the '72 Olympic Trials Prefontaine's competition had shirts made (tongue and cheek) that were shaped like a stop sign that said "STOP PRE".  Steve Prefontaine even wore one afterwards....

They didn't stop Pre and it was only meant as a joke.  Not exactly the same as the I'm not #101.  ;)

Thanks for the insight. But how did Drew come up with this? That was like a zillion years before he was even born.

Nat Pope

hammen

Pre was one of my inspirations when I was in high school. Small guy, didn't get opportunities to play in your typical sports (baseball, football) because of his size. Wasn't really built to be an athlete but put in a ton of hard work and had a lot of determination to be the best. What small guy wouldn't want to look up to him?