What valuable lesson are we teaching the Wrestlers of De Pere High School?

Started by Nobody, February 16, 2017, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Point1223

I Remember

If they deny it then they are treating De Pere differently than they did with a state wrestling power the last time this issue came up that I can recall.  I know it is a tough issue, but every school should be treated the same regardless of who it is.

DocWrestling

I feel especially for those two seniors and especially Turriff.   Who are the two that get to wrestle?  Turriff is the one that is most adversely affected as this is his senior year and he was going to qualify and good chances to get on the podium.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

onwisconsin

I feel terrible for all of the De Pere wrestlers and their growing wrestling community.   Right or wrong decision, you will not be able to convince me the WIAA handled this correctly when:
1.  They did have all the information required prior to regionals.
2.  De Pere had a written agreement allowing them to participate and placing them on "probation", whatever that even means.

Shame on the WIAA for how they handled this.

mhsfan2

Quote from: foose4 on February 17, 2017, 10:36:43 AM

But what about the 8 kids and their coaches that followed the rules.......isn't it just as tragic that a person who didn't follow the rules gets in.   Don't those kids deserve it just as much?
[/quote] What about those kids? Don't you want a kid to get to sectionals because they were one of the best wrestlers of the day versus a technicality.

padre

I've head that the WIAA Board upheld their decision today and also heard the two wrestlers that are able to wrestle will not in solidarity for the team.

While I don't know these kids I feel crushed by this judgement....especially Turriff.  Could have been handled differently.

You know what was learned?  When you find a mistake made in your program don't do the honest thing and turn yourself in.

DocWrestling

Quote from: onwisconsin on February 17, 2017, 12:07:27 PM

2.  De Pere had a written agreement allowing them to participate and placing them on "probation", whatever that even means.

Shame on the WIAA for how they handled this.

This is where my concern lies now.  The truth is the high school AD's are overwhelmed and are just one school.  Organizing all the schools to demand to find out what happened or initiate change takes a lot of energy and time that one AD does not necessarily want to take on.

I am not sure who the "appeals board" is but I do think these decisions should be made by a very large board of AD's and sport specific coaches and not made from one or maybe two administrators.  The other issue is that will any of these meetings become public record with transparency.  Will the WIAA even issue a statement?  To much is secretive for my liking.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

onwisconsin

MHSfan2,

WIAA handled it poorly.  De Pere had a teary eyed session before regionals when they thought they weren't able to compete.  It should have been final then.  They shouldn't have had to go through that same situation twice in 2 weeks.  I am not disputing the other 8 kids, that would be wrong as well for them

However, the pure fact that the De Pere kids had to go through this twice is the biggest tragedy. WIAA had their chance to make the correct decision initially and they totally blew it.

Mack

Quote from: foose4 on February 17, 2017, 11:07:02 AM
Quote from: Ivan Stankowski on February 17, 2017, 10:56:43 AM
Quote from: foose4 on February 17, 2017, 10:36:43 AM
Quote from: Mack on February 17, 2017, 10:33:52 AM
I get all the "rules are rules" folks, and their logical position on this situation.  

People would be furious with me, if I were in charge.  No question. I would totally let the kids wrestle.  Big fan of grace, knowing I often need it.

I'm so, so sorry for all the people negatively affected by this.  I know in the grand scheme of things, this isn't tragic.  But, most of us parents know if this were our wrestler, it would definitely feel like a tragedy.  Hoping for some last minute miracle for these kids, and their families.

But what about the 8 kids and their coaches that followed the rules.......isn't it just as tragic that a person who didn't follow the rules gets in.   Don't those kids deserve it just as much?

TRAGIC!!  ??? COME ON MAN!!

Sorry, I was using the wording from above.....I should have stated it just as big of a "Tragedy" to those kids that don't get in by following the rules.

I get what you are saying, but I'm not sure.  I'm dialing all the complexities down, and thinking about kids.  If you wrestled at regionals, and are not in the top four who qualify for sectionals, is it a "tragedy" if you don't wrestle at sectionals?  For some reason, that doesn't feel the same as kids who are just doing what they're told to do, and for reasons beyond their control, they lose an opportunity they did everything within their power to earn.  Know what I mean?

It's just sad, and I'm sorry for everyone.  

And, for the kids who are now going, good luck to them.  These circumstances are beyond their control also, and I hope they can make the most of it.  

bulldog

This stinks for the De Pere wrestlers. I agree, they did what they were told to do and now are paying the price for it. And the WIAA is enforcing a rule regarding a violation that was self reported. The WIAA does hold some responsibility in this...or at least should. I have personally tried to talk to the WIAA regarding interpretations of rules/rule violations. Their standard answer is "members of the WIAA is self policed" and "if you have a concern to bring it to your coach or AD".

So they sit back and let the members determine how to interpret the rules and if something hits the fan the WIAA swoops in and acts like everyone should know the rule. Reading 10 pages on this forum somewhat indicates the rules are vague in many cases. Setting up potential mistaken rule interpretations. I have banged my head against the WIAA wall so many times I think they may have me on a "watch list"...and every time I have walked away with no answers and more frustrated.

I don't know if this is a case of misinterpreting a rule or simply an honest mistake. The problem is the WIAA will simply react to this and do nothing to ensure in the future the chances of happening again are greatly reduced.

I do think in this case the WIAA was in a no win situation. If they let the kids wrestle there would be a ton of screaming people yelling about rule violations and the WIAA not upholding their penalties. If they don't let the kids wrestle they are being unfair to the athlete who was only following their coaches instructions.

onwisconsin

WIAA's fault is they let them wrestle ... then changed their mind after regionals with no new objective information.  That is what cannot be forgotten.

Out of Nowhere

I wish they would have had the option to forfeit two events and take some sort of administrative punishment instead of this outcome.

madeyson

Consequences for breaking rules and laws are meant for those responsibility for breaking the rule/law. The KIDS are not responsible for making the schedule and in turn should NOT have the consequences. This is a horrible situation of adults making high school sports seem more like a business. Sad.