What valuable lesson are we teaching the Wrestlers of De Pere High School?

Started by Nobody, February 16, 2017, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thequad

Who controls WIAA, do they have to answer to anybody? How did the WIAA get formed? How did they get so much power? Why do they control all the high school sorts? Who hires and fires these people? It seems like they have monopolized their positions!
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

padre

Quote from: mhsfan2 on February 17, 2017, 06:20:41 PM
Quote from: knight/purgolder on February 17, 2017, 06:13:57 PM
If De Pere has any T-shirts with the sectional qualifiers on it, I would like to buy one and I would proudly wear it everyday at the state meet!  
I won't wear everyday but I will wear to the D-1

Plus 1

Andersonman1234

Quote from: faceplant on February 17, 2017, 05:41:05 PM
De Pere wrestling parent here.  First, thanks for all the support and for the discussion, whether you agree or disagree with us.  The facts in the case are quite simple but yet highlight the problem from our perspective.  We self-reported on Friday, February 3.  We provided all of the information requested to the WIAA.  The WIAA looked up match records on trackwrestling but looked at the wrong page (team vs. individual).  Regardless, the information was on the spreadsheet provided to WIAA.  On February 3, WIAA initially ruled our young men were ineligible after self-reporting.  Later that night, after reviewing information, WIAA said they were eligible.  On February 7, the WIAA sent a letter to the school saying our wrestlers were eligible and the school would likely be placed on probation.  So it was IN WRITING that they were eligible.  On February 15, Kaukauna (who is on the WIAA Board of Control) and one other school (who Kaukauna asked to call the WIAA) contacted the WIAA and said they should recount De Pere's matches.  They told the WIAA to look at individuals on trackwrestling not team.  This led the WIAA to change their mind and reverse their written decision, thus declaring 8 of our 10 wrestlers ineligible.

The argument today came down to whether the February 7 ruling was "final" or not.  The WIAA refused to accept blame for not looking at the right page on trackwrestling and for not using the spreadsheet that was provided to them.  They blamed it on the school administration and one board member even had the audacity to blame it on the parents for not checking the number of matches their kids wrestled.  So the WIAA claimed this was new information and thus warranted a reversal of their decision.  Obviously we disagree.  They had the information but they looked in the wrong spot.  In addition, this all initially happened on February 3 and regionals were not until February 11.  They had enough time before regionals to figure this out.

That is where this differs from Pulaski softball's appeal (which our school district supported) and Westosha's appeal.  In both of those cases, they did not have a written letter from the WIAA saying their kids were eligible.  Had the WIAA done this before regionals, like with Pulaski and Westosha, it would be easier to accept.

Go Birds!!!!
Yeah let's blame kaukauna and some other school for depere violating the rules. That makes a lot of sense I didn't see the appeal at Kaukauna today. Let's just blame Kaukauna for this because Depere won't take responsibility, that's what's wrong with society today people feel they don't do anything wrong they have to find someone else to blame. You know while we're at it let's blame Kaukauna and some other school for not seeding the state tournament.

CoachC

Pretty sure Depere wrestled the exact same schedule last year. Why is it a problem now? How was this not caught earlier?  Feel awful for those kids!

faceplant

Andersonman1234 - no one is blaming Kaukauna.  At the hearing today, the WIAA said the board member from Kaukauna was abstaining from the vote because they were one of the schools that brought this to the WIAA's attention.  That is a simple fact.  Do not assume we are blaming them.  Our AD and Coach have taken full responsibility for the mistake.  Our issue is with the WIAA's handling of the situation.

ramjet

Quote from: faceplant on February 17, 2017, 06:39:35 PM
Andersonman1234 - no one is blaming Kaukauna.  At the hearing today, the WIAA said the board member from Kaukauna was abstaining from the vote because they were one of the schools that brought this to the WIAA's attention.  That is a simple fact.  Do not assume we are blaming them.  Our AD and Coach have taken full responsibility for the mistake.  Our issue is with the WIAA's handling of the situation.

Does the AD still work for DePere? Shouldn't !

maggie

Thank you for clearing this mess up  Andersonman1234...now we know permission was granted...somebody with Authorization Power had to sign the letter and sent it off... :-X...this quagmire is like a Mystery... :).......bottom line is, someone had to know that they were in violation of the Rules that are in place, it's not like they have changed it in the last yr.....all i can say is, I sure feel sorry for the kids   >:(
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Barou

Quote from: padre on February 17, 2017, 06:27:04 PM
If De Pere has any T-shirts with the sectional qualifiers on it, I would like to buy one and I would proudly wear it everyday at the state meet!  

Plus 1

Me too. If someone can provide me info please pm me. I can't believe anyone on this forum can actually support the wiaa decision. They had a chance to exercise discretion but they didn't because they're gutless. I didn't think they could embarrass themselves more than the sportsmanship memo that turned us into a national punchline but they are trying. Bottom line is you treat everyone fairly not equally. Every violation is different in one way or another. If the wiaa can't properly exercise good judgment in the best interest of the student athlete and "members" then go to a volunteer organization. A violation was committed. A fact that depere not only acknowledges but reported. The wiaa brought down the mallet on a mosquito. They got it right with probation.  Absolutely unfortunate for the depere wrestlers. You have support in western Wisconsin. The penalty is way too excessive for the violation!
JHI Mafia

wraslfan

Quote from: Barou on February 17, 2017, 08:03:43 PM

Plus 1

Me too. If someone can provide me info please pm me. I can't believe anyone on this forum can actually support the wiaa decision. They had a chance to exercise discretion but they didn't because they're gutless. I didn't think they could embarrass themselves more than the sportsmanship memo that turned us into a national punchline but they are trying. Bottom line is you treat everyone fairly not equally. Every violation is different in one way or another. If the wiaa can't properly exercise good judgment in the best interest of the student athlete and "members" then go to a volunteer organization. A violation was committed. A fact that depere not only acknowledges but reported. The wiaa brought down the mallet on a mosquito. They got it right with probation.  Absolutely unfortunate for the depere wrestlers. You have support in western Wisconsin. The penalty is way too excessive for the violation!
Totally agree, especially the description "gutless decision." Exactly what it is.

Full Nelson

Plus 1
I take 3 XXL, and 3 L, pm me and I will pickup and pay Thursday afternoon
Don't cross your legs!