D3 Team State

Started by BlastDouble21, March 03, 2020, 08:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Wrightstown and Coleman both Suples Strong 💪

downtown

Karban at 285 scoring a reversal for first points scored in a match that he lost 8-2 is the difference in the whole  dual for which team won.  Wow. 

Mineral Point and Caddot tied about 10 years ago and were co champs.  They didn't do the tie breaker in the state finals for some weird reason (that's how it was written in the rules). But I believe the following year they changed the rule to follow tie breaking rules of all other duals during the regular season.

padre

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on March 07, 2020, 05:16:16 PM
Quote from: padre on March 07, 2020, 05:11:43 PM
Did they change the rule that if they tie in the finals it remains a tie?

Didn't this happen years ago and they rewarded a team the title only to have it be called co-champions later.

Obviously

Not obviously.  They gave the title that year through tiebreaker only to find out later they'd be co-champs.

The wrestler

Yes padre you are correct. Coleman does dot have the depth to fill those wts. D3 schools have a hard time filling 14 wts.

MNbadger

But they did have wrestlers filling those weights.  They did not wrestle them......Or am I incorrect?
Quote from: The wrestler on March 07, 2020, 11:55:24 PM
Yes padre you are correct. Coleman does dot have the depth to fill those wts. D3 schools have a hard time filling 14 wts.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

padre

Quote from: MNbadger on March 08, 2020, 12:31:45 AM
But they did have wrestlers filling those weights.  They did not wrestle them......Or am I incorrect?

I don't feel it's up to the team to wrestle the matches out in the semi-finals.  You're not there to give those kids matches...you're there to win a state title.   Kids get forfeits all the time.  I'm pretty sure the opposing coach was expecting it.  Coleman was already without one of their best wrestlers from injury...no possible way a coach with little depth takes that chance. 

MNbadger

I get that. I was referring to your comment that Coleman could not fill the weights.  This would become "evidence" that a team could not fill 14 weights which would be inaccurate.
Quote from: padre on March 08, 2020, 03:24:24 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on March 08, 2020, 12:31:45 AM

I don't feel it's up to the team to wrestle the matches out in the semi-finals.  You're not there to give those kids matches...you're there to win a state title.   Kids get forfeits all the time.  I'm pretty sure the opposing coach was expecting it.  Coleman was already without one of their best wrestlers from injury...no possible way a coach with little depth takes that chance.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

thequad

Where can I find the complete list of tie breakers in a dual meet?
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

wrastle63

Quote from: thequad on March 08, 2020, 06:34:35 PM
Where can I find the complete list of tie breakers in a dual meet?
Maybe look at the post directly above yours.

TomM

Rule 9-2 2019-20 NFHS Wrestling Rules
SECTION 2 TEAM SCORING (Tie-Breaker Criterion)
ART. 2 . . . In dual-meet competition, if teams have identical scores, the following team
tie-breaking system shall be used to determine the winner.
a. The team whose opposing wrestlers or team personnel has been penalized the greater
number of team points for flagrant or unsportsmanlike conduct shall be declared the
winner.
b. The team whose opposing head coach has been penalized the greater
number of team points for coach misconduct or unsportsmanlike conduct shall
be declared the winner.
c. The team whose opposing wrestlers were penalized the greater number of
match points for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be declared the winner.
d. The team having won the greater number of matches (including forfeits)
shall be declared the winner.
e. The team having accumulated the greater total number of falls, defaults, forfeits
and disqualifications shall be declared the winner.
f. The team giving up the least number of forfeits.
g. The team having the greater number of technical falls shall be declared the winner.
h. The team having the greater number of major decisions shall be declared the winner.
i. The team having the greater number (total match points) of first-point(s) scored shall
be declared the winner.
j. The team having the greater number of points for near-falls shall be declared
the winner.
k. The team having the greater number of takedowns shall be declared the winner.
l. The team having the greater number of reversals shall be declared the winner.
m. The team having the greater number of escapes shall be declared the winner.
n. The team whose opponent has been penalized the greater number of points for stalling.
o. The team whose opponent has been warned more often for stalling.
p. The team whose opponent has the greater number of points for all other infractions
(i.e. false starts).
q. If none of the above resolves the tie, a flip of a disk will determine the winner.
Upon determining the winning team by use of the tiebreaking system, a single team
point shall be added to the prevailing team. The method of recording the score in breaking
team ties shall be the score followed by the letter of the criterion that broke the tie (e.g.
Team A-16; Team B-17, criterion e).
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Lombardi

The D3 Team State Championship match between Coleman and Fennimore was one of the most exciting matchups in Wisconsin wrestling history!  The back and forth chess match was entertaining and added a lot of energy to the battle of 2 giants!  Some background on the matchup. Fennimore had 9 State Individual Qualifiers and 9 seniors in their starting lineup. Coleman had 10 state qualifiers and 3 seniors in their starting lineup. Coleman moved 3 primarily JV wrestlers into their lineup and had one of their hammers on standby that did not wrestle who would've definitely impacted the outcome.  I counted up a total of 7 wrestlers for Coleman that wrestled up a weight for the dual.  At the end of a back and forth chess match each team pulled out 7 victories.  Pins, Technical Falls and 8 levels of criteria brought the match to the 9th level of criteria (most first points in each match scored; 14 for Coleman and 13 for Fennimore) tipped the scales to Coleman for a dramatic 10 minute delay at the end of the last match to determine the State Champion! 
As exciting as it was for Coleman (the team I was rooting for), I believe this level of determining a State Champion has got to change. Fennimore wrestled their butts off also and at the end of the night had an outright tie in the official team score and in my opinion could have easily layed claim to a shared state team championship.  I don't have a problem with the 1st 5 levels of criteria but at some point it shouldn't come down to such trivial things to determine who should be the State Champion. I would hope that the coaches association and WIAA would consider a change in the criteria to name a Co-State Champion after only a few levels of criteria. It's not fair to any team in the future to win or lose based on many of the criteria all the way to the last level believe it or not - A COIN TOSS :o

CLC FAN

I believe that after the 2006? Cadott/Mineral Point co-championship, the WIAA - at the urging of the coaches association - implemented that all NFHS criteria be used to determine a team champion except the coin flip one.

downtown

I agree with Lombardi.  It should be co champions.  You wrestle to a tie and you lose on criteria on who scored the most points first cumulatively. Aghhh!  Unless you are going to bring back the old system of 13 weights and settle the tie breaker for most matches won that is the only one that should be used.  Yes, I know that is the first tie breaker with 14 weight classes but it almost is never used.  To wrestle to a tie and the coaches, wrestlers and fans all know that each team won 7 weights, each had 2 pins and no misconducts.  Then they all sit around and wait to tally up first points scored is so anti climatic and soul crushing at the end.  If you have ever been apart of the first points scored tie breaker and lost you know what I am talking about.  Another dumb/obscure rule that makes wrestling hard to follow for the average fan. 

Barou

Saw some great wrestling at team state.  Great job by everyone.

My one minor complaint is why isn't it announced how the determination came to be for the Coleman/Fennimore match?  The officials went through it to come to a determination that Coleman won on criteria.  Can't that information be shared and announced?
JHI Mafia