2023-24 Wisconsin Badger Wrestling Roster

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, August 27, 2023, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

rjchev141

Few reactions:
-Nice roster size, 30 is couple more than last year.
-Lost Severin and Meicher, understandable but I like to see guys stick with it.
-133 should be great roster battle, hopefully one of these young guys can separate themselves, we'll need it?
-Zargo is listed at 141, but there was mention he was moving up?
-149 seems to be wide open for someone to step up (if Zargo is at 141).  Again a lot of young bodies, but needs someone to emerge.
-165 cleared out.  Big recruit there would be nice to redshirt behind DJ next season.
-Recruiting 174/184 needed help, seems to be years and years of transfer portal that didn't pan out (as hoped).  Looks to be another year relying on the portal.  Hopefully Condon along with Ingham and Kelly are the recruits we need to change that trend?
Amos still listed at 197, what will he do this year?
285, I would enjoy watching how that roster order shapes out.  Future at HWT has endless scenarios in the near future, should be interesting.
I thought Model was on staff?
What does GR mean in terms of years of eligibility left?
From the outside looking in, expectations aren't real high for dual success, but NCAA should be per usual.  Fingers are crossed, cheering for a pleasant surprise!

dad 2 5

I think GR is a fifth or now sixth year (with red shirt) with Covid year added.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Braxton Amos is planning to Olympic redshirt this year, so it will be interesting to see how that weight plays out.

The only other 197 lber listed on the roster is R-FR Mikey Talshahar. Do Brooks Empey or Dylan Russo challenge at 197?
Empey wrestled 197 as a freshman and Heavyweight last year. Russo wrestled 215 in high school last season.

Kirk Nelson

SP

Anti-Inclusion Mafia

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on August 28, 2023, 10:15:39 AMBraxton Amos is planning to Olympic redshirt this year, so it will be interesting to see how that weight plays out.

The only other 197 lber listed on the roster is R-FR Mikey Talshahar. Do Brooks Empey or Dylan Russo challenge at 197?
Empey wrestled 197 as a freshman and Heavyweight last year. Russo wrestled 215 in high school last season.

Braxton mentioned we have 6 heavyweights and 2 at 197 in a recent podcast.

Who is the other 197 than Talshahar? Is Graham Calhoun moving up?
Kirk Nelson

bigoil

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on August 29, 2023, 10:54:00 AM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on August 28, 2023, 10:15:39 AMBraxton Amos is planning to Olympic redshirt this year, so it will be interesting to see how that weight plays out.

Braxton mentioned we have 6 heavyweights and 2 at 197 in a recent podcast.

Who is the other 197 than Talshahar? Is Graham Calhoun moving up?
Amos and 7 others listed at 197/hwt

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

hornbuckleb

Quote from: Ghetto on August 29, 2023, 10:17:43 PMWho coaches all those big dudes?

No to Newt
No to Hillger
Maybe Fickell and Johnson when their season is done

dad 2 5

From Amos' interview it sounds like Coach R at 170# tosses them around. That tells me he is tough as nails but the team has a long ways to go

Ghetto

Quote from: dad 2 5 on August 30, 2023, 06:07:44 PMFrom Amos' interview it sounds like Coach R at 170# tosses them around. That tells me he is tough as nails but the team has a long ways to go

That's not a big guy coach tho
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Quote from: Ghetto on August 30, 2023, 06:27:16 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on August 30, 2023, 06:07:44 PMFrom Amos' interview it sounds like Coach R at 170# tosses them around. That tells me he is tough as nails but the team has a long ways to go

That's not a big guy coach tho

I agree. Great that reader is still the baddest man in the room but your a coach now and coaching kids to be better is now your focus, beating the snot out of them isn't helping any improvement in the wrestlers abilities to win.

After seeing a video of cael taking to synder in a go kind of convinced me that Cael can probably compete but there is countless videos of cael losing scrambles and goes to get the wrestlers to improve their wrestling. I am sure cael can walk into the room and probably clean house but does that make the team.better or just fuel ones man ego?

If reader is beating up Amos, I will ask what for. Also, I would guess reader is beating Amos with stuff that 197 pounders usually don't do.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ray Williams

In Braxton's interview he said that Reader "blacks out"and then said that Reader can beat up everybody in the room.So no big man coach, but one of our coaches can beat kids up.Good lord.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wrastle63

Only 1 197 on the roster, but plenty of HWTs. Do Liegel/Maylor bump up to 184 and 197? Otto, Calhoun, Condon, etc as options from 165-174.  Also Zargo listed at 141 and George at 149. Will be interested to see what happens at 197.