Where do we go from here?

Started by vsmf2010, March 26, 2024, 10:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

How about

Jake Varner PSU RTC coach
Kyle Ruschell college coach

The Badgers are going to hire a guy with a few years of college coaching under thier belt.

Also how many club coaches has gone from club to major college coaches? I am sure thier are a few but cannt be many. Look at the elite clubs and thier coaches have been thier for awhile, young guns, sebolt, pinnacle, izzy style.etc.....not sure as to you could.lure them away.from the clubs but maybe......
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Harris

I am hearing a lot of chatter online that Max Askren is the best fit even if he doesn't have D1 coaching experience.  Probably won't happen but I think it would be worth it.

littleguy301

Quote from: Harris on March 27, 2024, 06:42:45 PMI am hearing a lot of chatter online that Max Askren is the best fit even if he doesn't have D1 coaching experience.  Probably won't happen but I think it would be worth it.

I would love max for the job.

Problem does max has the degrees to coach in college? I hear Master plus

In today's age I would think half to 75% of the time would be spent fund raising and planning events.

Connection to coaches across the nation to recruit.

Connection for kids to rehab/train/specialize in certain areas.

Rules committee informed. Lots of time is chewed up with compliance rules from NCAA.

Just alot of stuff that needs to be addressed for sure. I think Max is a bright you man that has most of the stuff and could pick up stuff real quick.

Nice choice!

charteroak1

Masters plus, doubt it.  Didn't Tony Granato finish his undergrad right before he took the head coaching job or shortly after taking it.  I think all a coach need is a bachelor's.   

wrastle63

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 27, 2024, 06:14:15 PMHow about

The Badgers are going to hire a guy with a few years of college coaching under thier belt.

Also how many club coaches has gone from club to major college coaches? I am sure thier are a few but cannt be many. Look at the elite clubs and thier coaches have been thier for awhile, young guns, sebolt, pinnacle, izzy style.etc.....not sure as to you could.lure them away.from the clubs but maybe......
Get Brandvold back as the head coach with D1 coaching experience and knowing Wisconsin. Add a couple assistants like Nick Becker, Max Askren, Alex Dieringer, Seth Gross, and you have a solid staff.  Other options Pritzlaff or Tanelli.

asdf

Didn't Poeta go from his club to Illinois head coach?  Maybe had assistant coaching between his college career and opening his club?  Illinois did not have a good year, but their 2 best wrestlers (Byrd and Braugnel) red-shirted, have some great young recruits/starters and 1 AA this year (Ruth).

littleguy301

Quote from: asdf on March 27, 2024, 08:34:26 PM

Didn't Poeta go from his club to Illinois head coach?  Maybe had assistant coaching between his college career and opening his club?  Illinois did not have a good year, but their 2 best wrestlers (Byrd and Braugnel) red-shirted, have some great young recruits/starters and 1 AA this year (Ruth).

Good call. Yes there are a few I am sure but I cannt say alot. Prove me wrong.

leg turk

Michigan State losing two of their best wrestlers now too.. College sports is crumbling.

vsmf2010

Quote from: leg turk on March 28, 2024, 06:44:17 AMMichigan State losing two of their best wrestlers now too.. College sports is crumbling.

I saw Saldate yesterday but Fish now too. Not good!

wrestlemania

"but don't you think they would recommend UW to their athletes if the next guy was one of high integrity"

Which I translate as you saying Coach Bono is NOT of high integrity. Care to share your thoughts as to why?

Handles II

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 27, 2024, 11:06:58 AM"I don't believe the Askren's are interested, but they should be a part of the hiring committee for the next coach.  A healthy partnership between the Badgers, clubs and high schools at this time will make a huge difference at a time that Wisconsin wrestling is getting better each year."

You see how messed up this is? What other D-I program in another state has these problems? Ben got his chance to be on the inside and he gave it up. Everyone was all buddy/buddy to start with six years ago and now look at it. You don't think it could happen again? Even with someone they approve of? It very well could and for the most petty reasons, and that's no way to run an athletic program.

MN has this problem...Three Berge's, Two Kennedy, and a Stol, all from the same high school, went elsewhere (4 IA, 1 PS, 1 SDSU). Throw in Hall and Kirkvleit and MN would have been a top 4 team for the last 7-10 years and probably drawing in more top level recruits.

littleguy301

Quote from: Handles II on March 28, 2024, 04:57:03 PM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 27, 2024, 11:06:58 AM"I don't believe the Askren's are interested, but they should be a part of the hiring committee for the next coach.  A healthy partnership between the Badgers, clubs and high schools at this time will make a huge difference at a time that Wisconsin wrestling is getting better each year."

You see how messed up this is? What other D-I program in another state has these problems? Ben got his chance to be on the inside and he gave it up. Everyone was all buddy/buddy to start with six years ago and now look at it. You don't think it could happen again? Even with someone they approve of? It very well could and for the most petty reasons, and that's no way to run an athletic program.

MN has this problem...Three Berge's, Two Kennedy, and a Stol, all from the same high school, went elsewhere (4 IA, 1 PS, 1 SDSU). Throw in Hall and Kirkvleit and MN would have been a top 4 team for the last 7-10 years and probably drawing in more top level recruits.

Toss in Taylor Ventz and Joey Novak into the fray also.

If we think it is bad in Wisconsin take a look at Illionis, one odnthe top states for high school for years but the program is usually battling for bottom half of the big ten! Indiana has good high school wrestling but neither Indiana or Purdue has been challenging for a big ten title in recent years either.

MRL_84

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 28, 2024, 03:01:47 PM"but don't you think they would recommend UW to their athletes if the next guy was one of high integrity"

Which I translate as you saying Coach Bono is NOT of high integrity. Care to share your thoughts as to why?

The McDonough situation and the women's RTC come to mind for me. Flying to Worlds to coach Braxton, and not staying to coach Seth after their "disagreement" when Rhonna was kicked out of the UW training facilities.

hornbuckleb

Quote from: littleguy301 on March 27, 2024, 06:53:36 PM
Quote from: Harris on March 27, 2024, 06:42:45 PMI am hearing a lot of chatter online that Max Askren is the best fit even if he doesn't have D1 coaching experience.  Probably won't happen but I think it would be worth it.

I would love max for the job.

Problem does max has the degrees to coach in college? I hear Master plus

In today's age I would think half to 75% of the time would be spent fund raising and planning events.

Connection to coaches across the nation to recruit.

Connection for kids to rehab/train/specialize in certain areas.

Rules committee informed. Lots of time is chewed up with compliance rules from NCAA.

Just alot of stuff that needs to be addressed for sure. I think Max is a bright you man that has most of the stuff and could pick up stuff real quick.

Nice choice!

I like how you think

Discuss Wisconsin Collegiate Wrestling - All Divisions / Re: Big Ten Tourney
March 13, 2024, 09:21:41 AM
Highly unlikely.....
Ben Askren is unemployable. Max is the only option, then let Ben run the RTC outside of the UW Facilities.  Too many assitant options to list

It would work.....
Branvold (understands Wisconsin)
Ringer (doubtful to make olympic team, but will probably be a world teamer)  possibly looking to settle down
Steiner to Run the RTC (daughter is at Parkside)

Wish List....
Jason Nolf after this cycle (more than likely not going to beat Dake)
David Taylor (done after this cycle, but M2 and hobby farm living is the life for him)

Numbers

Quote from: MRL_84 on March 29, 2024, 07:58:27 AM
Quote from: wrestlemania on March 28, 2024, 03:01:47 PM"but don't you think they would recommend UW to their athletes if the next guy was one of high integrity"

The McDonough situation and the women's RTC come to mind for me. Flying to Worlds to coach Braxton, and not staying to coach Seth after their "disagreement" when Rhonna was kicked out of the UW training facilities.

Speaking of Rhonna, anyone know if mom is wrestling at the last chance trials qualifier next weekend?