Big Ten Tourney

Started by DocWrestling, March 09, 2024, 09:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Can someone explain the Starocci situation?  Is this what they wanted when they basically said you had to be in the conference tournament to be eligible for the NCAA tournament?

Really messes with the bracket and can affect qualifiers.  Someone on here predicted that before the tournament with teh Maylor opening match and the loser automatically qualified for the NCAA tournament.

Should Penn St been allowed to put someone else in there for the tournament and have seeds adjusted and then still allow Starocci to make NCAA tournament?

Also what was the deal with Teske seed.  Something about he was entered as an alternate so he had to be the #14 seed?

Big tens is a big tournament with a lot on the line that seems to have these silly rules affecting seeds
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Healthy and happy

Quote from: Barou on March 10, 2024, 02:16:21 PM
Quote from: jw52 on March 10, 2024, 01:23:35 AMMessenbrink is gonna make a fool of hamati. When are all of you going to realize the Bono experiment was a mistake and start calling for his release? We are worse now than we ever were with Barry and Bono's  recruiting classes are not going to get UW into the top 5 as he promised when he took the job. We were sold a false bill of goods. Time to start looking for a new head coach.

You are right on about Bono.  Can we get rid of this guy and give the reigns to Askren already?  He develops better HS kids into high level D1 performers than Bono does with college kids. 

We'll see if McCintosh cares about the program after the season.
Quote from: jw52 on March 10, 2024, 01:23:35 AMMessenbrink is gonna make a fool of hamati. When are all of you going to realize the Bono experiment was a mistake and start calling for his release? We are worse now than we ever were with Barry and Bono's  recruiting classes are not going to get UW into the top 5 as he promised when he took the job. We were sold a false bill of goods. Time to start looking for a new head coach.

You are right on about Bono.  Can we get rid of this guy and give the reigns to Askren already?  He develops better HS kids into high level D1 performers than Bono does with college kids. 

Interesting take on Askern.  The question I have is when is the last time UW hired a HS/club coach as one of their Head Coaches. Someone with no collegiate coaching experience or track record coaching/running a program at that level.  To the best of my limited knowledge, I don't think UW (or any Big Ten school for that matter) in the last 25 years has hired a HS/club coach to be a Head Coach.  Askern would be a good hire as an assistant coach/recruiter maybe

harley25

Quote from: Healthy and happy on March 12, 2024, 07:26:23 AM

Interesting take on Askern.  The question I have is when is the last time UW hired a HS/club coach as one of their Head Coaches. Someone with no collegiate coaching experience or track record coaching/running a program at that level.  To the best of my limited knowledge, I don't think UW (or any Big Ten school for that matter) in the last 25 years has hired a HS/club coach to be a Head Coach.  Askern would be a good hire as an assistant coach/recruiter maybe

No Collegiate coaching experience? Well he was an assistant coach at U Missouri for 2 years and also an assistant at Arizona State University, do they not count as Collegiate coaching experience?

VQOriginal

I am a big fan of Reader. But, he is Michigan bred and I think he takes the CMU job. All speculation obviously. Otherwise, Max as UW head coach and Ben as the RTC coach so he can bring HS kids in to train and develop. Those two could create their own collegiate dynasty. Again, all speculation and just an idea. Reader reads this stuff and I don't want him coming after me! LOL! That is also speculation! LOL

dman

Quote from: Healthy and happy on March 12, 2024, 07:26:23 AM

Ben was an assistant at Missouri and Arizona St.

DocWrestling

Askren has as much experience as Cael Sanderson did when Iowa St took that chance

Healthy and happy

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 12, 2024, 08:45:10 AMAskren has as much experience as Cael Sanderson did when Iowa St took that chance

Well..wasn't Cael an Assistant Head Coach at his alma mater and considered the best collegiate wrestler ever,  before directly moving into ISU's Head Coaching position?  So yes, light on the coaching experience but he had many desirable attributes the AD and alumni liked.
As far as Ben goes, I stand corrected.  He had a few years of experience as volunteer coach and then an assistant over a decade plus ago.  He has no relative current collegiate experience that would probable excite a D1 AD, other than maybe Missouri, his alma mater.  Correct me if I am wrong on this but didn't UW have the chance to interview/hire him 5 years ago?  It is my understanding he didn't get an on campus interview, correct?

So I think this is really an apple and oranges comparison

Ghetto

I believe that there were complications with being and owner of AWA in regards to Ben (or Max, but I think it was Ben) getting the UW job when Davis was let go.

IDK if those lines have been blurred with current NCAA guidelines, but that may be an issue now as well.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

DocWrestling

There would certainly need to be clear lines between UW coach and a club simply because of recruiting rules on contact, etc.

As far as being an AD and looking at wrestling.  Yes you need someone that can make sure kids are going to class and program stays in compliance with the NCAA but otherwise I think all I would care about is hiring someone that creates excitement and could be a great recruiter.  Askren certainly could do that but might be in over his head with the management part but that can be easily handled with an experienced assistant.

I am in the camp of "why not" with Askren.  It could blow up great or could go bad fast but if it goes bad it could soon be repaired.

But I highly doubt Askren would want the job but I think it would be cool to see the Askren brothers running a team like the Brands brothers.  I have to think the AD that hired Brands was a little scared to hire them although he was a head coach for 2 years.

MNbadger

I believe Sanderson was "Special Assistant" for a year.  Then he was Assistant Coach for two or three years, then became Head Coach for three seasons (i am not positive on all of the timeline here).  He was intentional and obviously wanted the job, wanted to coach. 
Quote from: Healthy and happy on March 12, 2024, 01:01:22 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 12, 2024, 08:45:10 AMAskren has as much experience as Cael Sanderson did when Iowa St took that chance

Well..wasn't Cael an Assistant Head Coach at his alma mater and considered the best collegiate wrestler ever,  before directly moving into ISU's Head Coaching position?  So yes, light on the coaching experience but he had many desirable attributes the AD and alumni liked.
As far as Ben goes, I stand corrected.  He had a few years of experience as volunteer coach and then an assistant over a decade plus ago.  He has no relative current collegiate experience that would probable excite a D1 AD, other than maybe Missouri, his alma mater.  Correct me if I am wrong on this but didn't UW have the chance to interview/hire him 5 years ago?  It is my understanding he didn't get an on campus interview, correct?

So I think this is really an apple and oranges comparison
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

vsmf2010

There are many reasons why I think it is highly doubtful that the Askren brothers ever end up coaching college wrestling again anywhere and it has nothing to do with their ability to do so

1) I have zero actual knowledge of this but my suspicion is the Askren brothers income vastly exceeds what they could earn as a head coach and assistant coach at any wrestling program

2) Being a business owner provides infinitely more flexibility than working for any University. You also have way more control over the success of you business when you only have to answer to your customers

3) I do not know what the restrictions are as far D1 coaches owning of businesses but it is hard to imagine that there would not be an issue with the NCAA/Universities if you own a business that has direct contact with potential recruits and their families

4) How could they continue to support now and in the future, athletes who are wrestling at other universities? You could not expect that every AWA wrestler with D1 aspirations would come to the University that they are coaching at. Lets say they took a job right after the season at the UW or any university for that matter. How could they coach the Mirasola's or Sinclair at the Olympic or world team trials? I know that KOT spends time at AWA in the offseason. How would that work? Would all the former athletes wrestle for the RTC at the University they were affiliated with? What RTC's besides NLWC, Cliff Keen and Hawkeye would have that kind of money? In the current situation they are free to coach and work with any of their athletes regardless where they are wrestling and root for them all and I am sure that is how they like it

I think it is an interesting idea that they would coach a college team at the UW or somewhere but does not seem practical. If anyone has been on the cesspool recently they have suggested that Iowa fire the Brands brothers and hire the Askren brothers too.

PAUL

I am an outsider who knows nothing, but if I were a D-1 athletic director over a middling wrestling program that needs a spark I'd hire Askern in a minute, assuming no legal baggage.  To me it would be a no brainer, and while you can never know how the future plays out the ceiling would be a mile high if they were able to do it.  People threw out PSU and Iowa and the possible parallels and I agree.  As someone very smart told me several years back when I ordered a Bud Light at a place with 1,000 different beers - "Go Big or Go Home".  Also, swing for the fences, go for the gusto, reach for the stars, etc.  They did it in FB, there is a good chance they will do it in BB, and I'd finally say they probably need to do it in Wrestling if it's important to the U-W athletic department (which I hope it is).  Go Bucky!

SP

Kevin Dresser went from high school coach to Virginia Tech and now at Iowa State.

Askrens are qualified to coach at the college level.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

littleguy301

Put Max askren as coach bring Parker K for an assistant with seth and have John Messenbrink Manger of operation for bucky.

Like some one said being a head coach is time consuming. NCAA compliance meeting, budget meeting, progress reports, keeping 18 to 25 year Olds in line and grades and such, fund raising, rubbing elbows, 24/7 recruiting. The easiest part of the day I the 1.5 hours in the practice room!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

badgerjohn

Only from my memory, which has many short comings, but I think Goodale at RU had no college coaching experience when hired.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11