State Of Wisconsin Changes

Started by Junkyardpig, June 05, 2023, 03:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkyardpig

Saw someone say there is nothing to talk about, below are changes that Wisconsin High School wrestling desperately needs.

- To wrestle at a weight class in the post-season you must make SCRATCH WEIGHT without any allowances during the season at some point.  You want to wrestle 126 at regionals, make 126.0 or below at any point in the season, not 129 on the day of regionals. 

- No extra pound for the state series.  The new year starts jan 1.  You get 2 lbs, thats it. 

- Full matches only at the state tournament, no 1 min first period.  I get that there is time issues, getting through the three days, but Thursday can start earlier.

- State duals, 8 team brackets, semi final losers wrestle a dual for third/fourth.  Wrestle duals to top 4 in all divisions. 

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

MNbadger

"- No extra pound for the state series.  The new year starts jan 1.  You get 2 lbs, thats it. "
I assume you still get one pound allowance for consecutive days of weigh ins?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Junkyardpig

Quote from: MNbadger on June 06, 2023, 08:36:42 AM"- No extra pound for the state series.  The new year starts jan 1.  You get 2 lbs, thats it. "
I assume you still get one pound allowance for consecutive days of weigh ins?

Yes

Handles II

- To wrestle at a weight class in the post-season you must make SCRATCH WEIGHT without any allowances during the season at some point.  You want to wrestle 126 at regionals, make 126.0 or below at any point in the season, not 129 on the day of regionals.

After Jan 15, 50% of all weigh-ins must be at the regional weight class. I'm not as concerned about a kid making scratch weight, especially only once during the season. I believe it's a better test of a wrestler's health and ability that they are down to their regional weight class more than just once. 

Junkyardpig

Quote from: Handles II on June 06, 2023, 01:25:54 PM- To wrestle at a weight class in the post-season you must make SCRATCH WEIGHT without any allowances during the season at some point.  You want to wrestle 126 at regionals, make 126.0 or below at any point in the season, not 129 on the day of regionals.

After Jan 15, 50% of all weigh-ins must be at the regional weight class. I'm not as concerned about a kid making scratch weight, especially only once during the season. I believe it's a better test of a wrestler's health and ability that they are down to their regional weight class more than just once. 

I like that as well.

DocWrestling

Need to make it simple and easy.

126 is 126 at every weigh-in all season and get rid of descent plan.  Keep the 7% body fat rule.
No growth allowance
No extra pound on consecutive days or missed practice days.

Pick the weight class you can grow into over season
Pick the weight class that allows you to stay strong over consecutive days of wrestling.
Pick the wrong weight class and your wrestling performance will suffer or you will be miserable.

We cannot have a wrestler going for the state title at 126lbs on Saturday night weighing 132lbs when he takes the mat.  That makes no sense.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Ship-Titan-Wolve

Some great thoughts. But what about the wrestler that wrestles up all year to help the team? I agree that making the weight the 1st time at regionals is at question here but we have had several wresters up 1-2 weights during the season to help the team win the conference. Not all wrestler cut at the end to be the lowest weight but wrestle up to fill the holes.

MNbadger

Great point!
Quote from: Ship-Titan-Wolve on June 09, 2023, 03:13:42 PMSome great thoughts. But what about the wrestler that wrestles up all year to help the team? I agree that making the weight the 1st time at regionals is at question here but we have had several wresters up 1-2 weights during the season to help the team win the conference. Not all wrestler cut at the end to be the lowest weight but wrestle up to fill the holes.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

Willie

Reading what Doc, junkyardpig and handles are saying is hilarious! So I did some digging and wouldn't you believe they were all in favor of dropping wieght classes as well. Which makes no sense with what they are talking about now, so you wanted less weight classes (doc all the way down to 11) which would spread out the wieghts. Yet you want to make kids cut harder? And Doc you must live under a rock if you think a 126 pound finalist wieghs 132 Saturday night more like 140!

rankwizard

Quote from: Willie on June 09, 2023, 06:34:17 PMReading what Doc, junkyardpig and handles are saying is hilarious! So I did some digging and wouldn't you believe they were all in favor of dropping wieght classes as well. Which makes no sense with what they are talking about now, so you wanted less weight classes (doc all the way down to 11) which would spread out the wieghts. Yet you want to make kids cut harder? And Doc you must live under a rock if you think a 126 pound finalist wieghs 132 Saturday night more like 140!

Agree Willie. THese guys are something else.

CLC FAN

Willie - it's almost like some folks don't want cutting weight to be encouraged by the system in place.   ;)

MNbadger

We have been doing it this way in MN for a long time.  We do not require that they make scratch weight however.
Quote from: Handles II on June 06, 2023, 01:25:54 PM- To wrestle at a weight class in the post-season you must make SCRATCH WEIGHT without any allowances during the season at some point.  You want to wrestle 126 at regionals, make 126.0 or below at any point in the season, not 129 on the day of regionals.

Ghetto

Quote from: rankwizard on June 10, 2023, 08:39:37 AM
Quote from: Willie on June 09, 2023, 06:34:17 PMReading what Doc, junkyardpig and handles are saying is hilarious! So I did some digging and wouldn't you believe they were all in favor of dropping wieght classes as well. Which makes no sense with what they are talking about now, so you wanted less weight classes (doc all the way down to 11) which would spread out the wieghts. Yet you want to make kids cut harder? And Doc you must live under a rock if you think a 126 pound finalist wieghs 132 Saturday night more like 140!

Agree Willie. THese guys are something else.

Or, instead of cutting, they are forced to wrestle a weight they actually weigh at.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Junkyardpig

Kids cut harder?  Buddy you need to work on your reading comprehension!  Kids can cut zero pounds, 20 pounds, I don't care what they do, BUT to wrestle at a weight class you should have to have made the actual scratch weight at some point during the season.  That's all.  You should not be able to be the 113 state champion and never have weighed 113 or less during the entire season. 

And yes, all states should get on the same page with weight classes and there should be 13 of them.