Junior Duals freestyle

Started by URright, June 16, 2023, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

URright

The Wisconsin National team is competing in the Junior duals national freestyle championship today and tomorrow. They have wrestled their first two duals and have won 56-12 over Michigan and 64-5 over South Carolina. You can follow on trackwrestling. This team is loaded and can win the national title. I don't believe we have ever won this tournament.

URright

Wisconsin over Ohio gray 54-14. They are qualified for the pool finals and will take on the winner of California v Oklahoma.

rocker123

Oklahoma Red defeated California 1. So it will be Wisconsin vs Oklahoma Red in the Pool A finals!

URright

Wisconsin wins pool A over Oklahoma 45-19!

URright

Wisconsin ended up taking 3rd place. They lost a dual that came down to the last match to Ohio. Ohio then lost to Oklahoma who WI beat. We were placed in the third place via criteria. Then won against a very good Iowa team to place 3rd.

URright

The stuff that this forum seems to be interested in.

1) This is a scratch weight, single weigh in, the night before a two day tournament. We grow in Jan-March and shrink back down in June.

2) I counted 11 committed D-1 wrestlers on this WI team 5 Minnesota, 2 Penn State,    1 Purdue, 1 Illinois, 1 Bucknell and 1 Wisconsin. Is Minnesota building the wall?

3) There are not less weights but actually they run 15 weights in this Junior level tournament. They add a 100# weight class to our current weights.

4) If a wrestler scores a point in their match they receive a team point. I think this would be a good change for our team sectional and state. It incentivizes wrestlers who are losing to still be offensive.

Ghetto

Quote from: URright on June 18, 2023, 11:22:53 AMWisconsin ended up taking 3rd place. They lost a dual that came down to the last match to Ohio. Ohio then lost to Oklahoma who WI beat. We were placed in the third place via criteria. Then won against a very good Iowa team to place 3rd.

Congratulations to the kids from Wisconsin. Heck of a tournament!

Can't wait to see what our kids do at Fargo.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Junkyardpig

Quote from: URright on June 18, 2023, 09:17:46 PMThe stuff that this forum seems to be interested in.

1) This is a scratch weight, single weigh in, the night before a two day tournament. We grow in Jan-March and shrink back down in June.

2) I counted 11 committed D-1 wrestlers on this WI team 5 Minnesota, 2 Penn State,    1 Purdue, 1 Illinois, 1 Bucknell and 1 Wisconsin. Is Minnesota building the wall?

3) There are not less weights but actually they run 15 weights in this Junior level tournament. They add a 100# weight class to our current weights.

4) If a wrestler scores a point in their match they receive a team point. I think this would be a good change for our team sectional and state. It incentivizes wrestlers who are losing to still be offensive.

It'd be great for wrestling if we moved to freestyle wrestling in high school as it is much more entertaining and exciting style, but the old inappropriate term2 refs at the state tournament would botch freestyle scoring even more than they already do in folkstyle!

harley25

Quote from: Junkyardpig on June 19, 2023, 10:24:29 AM
Quote from: URright on June 18, 2023, 09:17:46 PMThe stuff that this forum seems to be interested in.

It'd be great for wrestling if we moved to freestyle wrestling in high school as it is much more entertaining and exciting style, but the old inappropriate term2 refs at the state tournament would botch freestyle scoring even more than they already do in folkstyle!

SO freestyle in High School than Folkstyle in College, that is an interesting concept

harley25

Quote from: URright on June 18, 2023, 11:22:53 AMWisconsin ended up taking 3rd place. They lost a dual that came down to the last match to Ohio. Ohio then lost to Oklahoma who WI beat. We were placed in the third place via criteria. Then won against a very good Iowa team to place 3rd.
Wisconsin has 5 wrestlers on the junior freestyle national duals all tournament team which is most of any state!
Braeden Scoles 6-0
Noah Mulvaney 8-0
Connor Mirasola 8-0
Cole Mirasola 8-0
Koy Hopke 8-0
They went a combined 38-0 giving up 10 points!!!

littleguy301

Nice showing by wisconsin!

Great job coaches and wrestlers and last the parents!

Thanks to the WWF for making this happen also!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Both freestyle and greco did very well. Hats off to all! So excited for Wisconsin wrestling!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet