Badgers 2023-2024 Projection

Started by Wisconsin Wrestling Fan, May 12, 2023, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walden_hiker

Quote from: dad 2 5 on June 11, 2023, 04:24:45 PM
Quote from: walden_hiker on June 10, 2023, 01:56:04 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on June 09, 2023, 12:13:30 PMUpdated Projected Roster:

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
133 - Rivera, Bobzien, Coy, Fugitt RS
141 - Lettini, Severin
149 - Zargo, Medora, George RS, Nilo RS
157 - Mechler, Sheen, Anderson, Goebel
165 - Hamiti, Model
174 - Maylor, Otto, Calhoun, Condon RS
184 - Liegel
197 - Talshahar, Empey
285 - Amos, Christensen, Rosenfeld, Schmidtke, Russo RS

* Russo wrestled 215 in high school - unclear if 197 is a consideration or not
* Adding Fugitt to the mix makes 133 even more competitive. Current assumption is all Freshman will redshirt
Solid roster

Hiker is that serious? I would not call that a solid Big Ten roster but maybe you are seeing somethings I am not.

I agree that it is not elite but depth wise better than previous. We just need to start getting 1 blue chipper per recruiting cycle. Previously, we had studs but zero depth when there was an injury.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on June 09, 2023, 12:13:30 PMUpdated Projected Roster:

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
141 - Lettini, Severin
165 - Hamiti, Model
184 - Liegel
197 - Talshahar, Empey

* Adding Fugitt to the mix makes 133 even more competitive. Current assumption is all Freshman will redshirt
Solid roster

Hiker is that serious? I would not call that a solid Big Ten roster but maybe you are seeing somethings I am not.

I can see...2 AAs out of here, 3 if Zargo can just take a TINY step. He's so close to being a R12 type guy.

Hamiti is still in the toughest weight. Might be one of the top 25 Wrestlers, but just a brutal weight.

Losing Gomez and then Estrada flipping is brutal(though I shouldn't worry about Estrada I guess...he hasn't done anything impressive...until he became an Iowa recruit).

I'll add the caveat that Rivera could easily be the big surprise of the year. He's as talented as pretty much anyone they've brought in-in a while. I just think either '33 is too big or he needs to be really working on his body.

I scan squint and see a couple other guys breaking through, but this is a team that's not deep, that could very easily get shutout in a couple of B1G duels and...yeah, it's nice they've got some depth. Is it really that much better than it's been?

I'd be more inclined to include Amos, but he's primarily a Greco guy at this point, correct? I don't see him making a big jump if he's Wrestling Greco in the off-season. It's just...how many guys who come in, are highly regarded recruits, then focus on Greco see significant gains year over year? It's obviously much tougher, especially for a guy who's biggest issue seems to be just attacking and taking shots. And I really don't think being a small HWT is going to help him.

Bono's enthusiasm has been great. I like Reader and Gross...but when the wall built around the State is working the exact opposite literally every program in every college program intends...the margin of error is VERY slim and this is not a great lineup.

BadgerOne

Quote from: Vir Fortis on June 12, 2023, 04:19:25 AM

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
141 - Lettini, Severin
165 - Hamiti, Model
184 - Liegel
197 - Talshahar, Empey

Solid roster

I can see...2 AAs out of here, 3 if Zargo can just take a TINY step. He's so close to being a R12 type guy.

Hamiti is still in the toughest weight. Might be one of the top 25 Wrestlers, but just a brutal weight.

Losing Gomez and then Estrada flipping is brutal(though I shouldn't worry about Estrada I guess...he hasn't done anything impressive...until he became an Iowa recruit).

I'll add the caveat that Rivera could easily be the big surprise of the year. He's as talented as pretty much anyone they've brought in-in a while. I just think either '33 is too big or he needs to be really working on his body.

I scan squint and see a couple other guys breaking through, but this is a team that's not deep, that could very easily get shutout in a couple of B1G duels and...yeah, it's nice they've got some depth. Is it really that much better than it's been?

I'd be more inclined to include Amos, but he's primarily a Greco guy at this point, correct? I don't see him making a big jump if he's Wrestling Greco in the off-season. It's just...how many guys who come in, are highly regarded recruits, then focus on Greco see significant gains year over year? It's obviously much tougher, especially for a guy who's biggest issue seems to be just attacking and taking shots. And I really don't think being a small HWT is going to help him.

Bono's enthusiasm has been great. I like Reader and Gross...but when the wall built around the State is working the exact opposite literally every program in every college program intends...the margin of error is VERY slim and this is not a great lineup.

<<I'll add the caveat that Rivera could easily be the big surprise of the year.>>

Seriously?  If Barnett stays healthy and wrestles, Rivera surely won't be the starter at 125.  At 133, Rivera would struggle mightily against Big Ten competition.  He was unimpressive last year at 133.  Zan Fugitt is a year behind Nicolar but I bet he's already much better and I take him to have a better year.

wrastle63

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 12, 2023, 08:20:05 AM

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
141 - Lettini, Severin
165 - Hamiti, Model
184 - Liegel
197 - Talshahar, Empey

Solid roster

<<I'll add the caveat that Rivera could easily be the big surprise of the year.>>

Seriously?  If Barnett stays healthy and wrestles, Rivera surely won't be the starter at 125.  At 133, Rivera would struggle mightily against Big Ten competition.  He was unimpressive last year at 133.  Zan Fugitt is a year behind Nicolar but I bet he's already much better and I take him to have a better year.
Agreed, but think Rivera has good upside at 125 once Barnett is gone

hornbuckleb

Quote from: wrastle63 on June 12, 2023, 09:53:59 AM
Quote from: BadgerOne on June 12, 2023, 08:20:05 AM

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
141 - Lettini, Severin
165 - Hamiti, Model
184 - Liegel
197 - Talshahar, Empey

Solid roster

Agreed, but think Rivera has good upside at 125 once Barnett is gone

Did you watch U20's

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Roster Update:

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
141 - Lettini, Severin, Nilo RS
149 - Zargo, Medora, George RS
165 - Hamiti, Model
184 - Liegel
197 - Talshahar, Empey, Russo RS
285 - Amos, Christensen, Rosenfeld, Klarkowski, Schmidtke

* Moved Russo to 197 and Nilo to 141.
* Added Klarkowski to 285. Many options at Heavyweight.

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

gwmiller44

I think they have only 1 AA & they will be lucky to crack the top 10 in the conference. This isn't a big 10 roster that's going to win duels.
Really? Think, Wow!

npope

Quote from: gwmiller44 on June 21, 2023, 02:35:38 PMI think they have only 1 AA & they will be lucky to crack the top 10 in the conference. This isn't a big 10 roster that's going to win duels.

While possible, that certainly isn't being very objective. They already have two two-time AAs in that lineup from which you think they can only pull one AA this coming season. Sounds a bit pessimistic to me.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

I do think the team would be stronger if Amos can stay at 197. Hopefully he gets healthy soon. As noted, Braxton could Olympic redshirt this year also.

We currently have 1 former 215lber, 3 former 220lbers and 4 former heavyweights on the roster. Many big wrestlers on the team!
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

Vir Fortis

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 12, 2023, 08:20:05 AMSeriously?  If Barnett stays healthy and wrestles, Rivera surely won't be the starter at 125.  At 133, Rivera would struggle mightily against Big Ten competition.  He was unimpressive last year at 133.  Zan Fugitt is a year behind Nicolar but I bet he's already much better and I take him to have a better year.

No, not seriously. There's zero chance that Rivera can put on some weight and have a good year.

He's not a talented athlete and there's absolutely no potential for growth from him. Is that good?

Tell me if there are any more amendments I need to appease the Cal Poly boys?

It was foolish of me to say that Rivera COULD potentially surprise and do well.

BadgerOne

Vir Fortis, this is what you said "I'll add the caveat that Rivera could easily be the big surprise of the year. He's as talented as pretty much anyone they've brought in-in a while."

You didn't just say "could" which is a meaningless term and you are good at saying meaningless stuff, but "could easily" as its not just within the realms of possibilities but its easily possible and he could not just be a surprise but a "big surprise" and he's as talented as pretty much anyone they've brought in-in a while-hmmm.  So are you saying he's right up there with Gross, Hamiti, Gomez and/or Amos?  OK, tell me how Rivera did last year, he must have won all or nearly all of his matches with plenty of pins and techs, right?

littleguy301

Quote from: BadgerOne on June 26, 2023, 07:33:01 PMVir Fortis, this is what you said "I'll add the caveat that Rivera could easily be the big surprise of the year. He's as talented as pretty much anyone they've brought in-in a while."

You didn't just say "could" which is a meaningless term and you are good at saying meaningless stuff, but "could easily" as its not just within the realms of possibilities but its easily possible and he could not just be a surprise but a "big surprise" and he's as talented as pretty much anyone they've brought in-in a while-hmmm.  So are you saying he's right up there with Gross, Hamiti, Gomez and/or Amos?  OK, tell me how Rivera did last year, he must have won all or nearly all of his matches with plenty of pins and techs, right?

Geez, maybe vic is a huge rivera fan. Gosh if someone says something positive about a Badger better watch out!

At this point I will say Rivera is going to do better than Gross, Gomez. Why you ask? Neither are on the active roster and their competing days with the Badgers are over! Really bad compare and and using Amos isn't that good. Hamiti is a stud and probably the best wrestler on the team.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

dad 2 5

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on June 21, 2023, 12:48:11 PMRoster Update:

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
165 - Hamiti, Model
184 - Liegel
197 - Amos, Talshahar, Empey, Russo RS
285 - Christensen, Johnson, Rosenfeld, Klarkowski, Schmidtke

Added Johnson to HWY; Moved Amos back to 97

Now what do we think of this line-up?

walden_hiker

Quote from: dad 2 5 on July 17, 2023, 06:17:46 PM

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
165 - Hamiti, Model
184 - Liegel

Johnson is class of '24

BadgerOne

Quote from: walden_hiker on July 17, 2023, 07:37:38 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on July 17, 2023, 06:17:46 PM

125 - Barnett, Kruse RS
165 - Hamiti, Model
184 - Liegel

Johnson is class of '24
Yes, Dillan is not in next year's class, so we'll have to wait a year to see him in Wisconsin, but I think he's much better than Christensen already.