As it stands..How can Bono remain?

Started by wrestler_73, May 08, 2023, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imwi

Quote from: Grapl on June 01, 2023, 08:47:12 AM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on May 31, 2023, 04:21:56 PM
Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 17, 2023, 08:23:23 AMWow...the Narcissism (excessive interest in or admiration of oneself) of BA is ridiculous.  In Vegas all of those kids represented not only AWA, but their hometown programs, and more important Wisconsin.  No matter who the Badger coach is...it will not work between AWA and the Badgers unless an Askren is in charge. 

I wonder if that's why John Messenbrink doesn't seem to be a part of AWA any longer?

Please elaborate?

People just post whatever they want, facts have nothing to do with anything anymore.  Last week, Barnett was in the portal...based on nothing at all, just someone want to troll

harley25

Quote from: Ghetto on June 01, 2023, 10:35:55 AM
Quote from: harley25 on June 01, 2023, 08:57:19 AM
Quote from: wrestler_73 on May 17, 2023, 08:23:23 AMWow...the Narcissism (excessive interest in or admiration of oneself) of BA is ridiculous.  In Vegas all of those kids represented not only AWA, but their hometown programs, and more important Wisconsin.  No matter who the Badger coach is...it will not work between AWA and the Badgers unless an Askren is in charge. 

I wonder if that's why John Messenbrink doesn't seem to be a part of AWA any longer?

I think you pretty much nailed it here though. It's either got to be Askren, or someone who gets handpicked by Askren.

I understand the fandom. He made himself into an...extraordinary Wrestler despite limited athleticism. He did that all through creativity and an incredible work ethic. He even turned that into a...pretty successful UFC run.

But a B1G program isn't going to cater to ONE individual when determining who to hire because they run 6 sites that attract most of the high end in-state talent.

Limited athleticism? Are you kidding me? I dont care who you are you are not a 4x NCAA finalist 2X NCAA Champion a NCAA Division One wrestler with a 153-8 record with limited athleticisim!!

I think Ben himself would admit that his athleticism is not elite. His wrestling ability was, and he was/is smart enough to keep pushing the envelope of technique. Those things are what got him to the top of the mountain.

I can buy not elite but they were also not limited :) Dude was a complete force

Vir Fortis

I think you pretty much nailed it here though. It's either got to be Askren, or someone who gets handpicked by Askren.

I understand the fandom. He made himself into an...extraordinary Wrestler despite limited athleticism. He did that all through creativity and an incredible work ethic. He even turned that into a...pretty successful UFC run.

But a B1G program isn't going to cater to ONE individual when determining who to hire because they run 6 sites that attract most of the high end in-state talent.

Limited athleticism? Are you kidding me? I dont care who you are you are not a 4x NCAA finalist 2X NCAA Champion a NCAA Division One wrestler with a 153-8 record with limited athleticisim!!

That's not meant as an insult. Ben spoke about this himself. About adjustments he had to make during his RS Freshmen year.

The MORE important point here is that he worked, grinded and developed a style that...kinda changed the sport(I don't think that's an understatement). He built himself into a GREAT Wrestler despite not being as...quick or explosive as a lot of other D1 Wrestlers. I didn't think this was a hot take or a unique one.

He won by wearing guys out, by doing things other guys weren't doing, turning offense into defense and then he had insane grip and shoulder flexibility/strength.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Ghetto on June 01, 2023, 10:35:55 AM

I think Ben himself would admit that his athleticism is not elite. His wrestling ability was, and he was/is smart enough to keep pushing the envelope of technique. Those things are what got him to the top of the mountain.

Exactly. Nobody said he wasn't a "total force" or whatever. His accomplishments are...what they are. He was one of the most dominant College Wrestlers ever.
But he he wasn't like a Starocci or a Brooks...or for that matter a Woodley or Pendelton. He found ways to make up for that gap and he was successful.

On that front, that's far more impressive to me than a guy who's just naturally more physically gifted and dominates largely as a result of that. But I certainly meant no offense. 4X Finalist, 2X Champ...Olympian. I think that speaks to possibilities of our sport more than anything.

harley25

Quote from: benaskren on May 17, 2023, 10:31:23 PMArmy Ant- We had our 2nd best showing ever and would have been close to best ever if Kellen had not been injured 1st round.

Harley- You arent gonna have to wait very long.

Am I going to have to wait much longer?

dad 2 5

It might already been said but after five seasons
Davis
37-41-3
6.6 ave B1G (only ten teams)
18.6 NCAA (did not include Davis interim year)

Bono
41-28
8.8 B1G (13 teams)
18.5 NCAA (four seasons) Davis was at 17 after four seasons

VQOriginal

Just seeing the John Messenbrink comment up there. Uh, John is going strong and thriving within the AWA community. He has coached my son at a few different events. He ain't goin' no where. Sorry. I am a tad late to this convo.