Previous topic - Next topic

No One Cares

Quote from: BadgerOne on May 20, 2023, 10:34:44 PM
Quote from: factfinder on May 20, 2023, 08:11:58 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on May 20, 2023, 06:07:48 PM
Quote from: factfinder on May 20, 2023, 04:15:08 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on May 20, 2023, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on May 20, 2023, 01:36:31 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on May 20, 2023, 10:22:41 AMWhy do you assume Becker wants to go to UW?
Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on May 20, 2023, 09:22:08 AMMove Reader up and bring in Becker on the coaching staff, problem solved.

Pay and Big Ten would be the first two things that come to me but I have no idea if Becker would be interested

Based on what I've seen online, the Associate Head coach job (Reader's current job) pays more than double Becker's current salary, so Becker should be interested if he has D1 coaching aspirations.  Reader/Becker should recruit better than Bono/Reader just in terms of instate recruiting and have greater access to AWA westlers.  I think Reader would be able to recruit better nationally too. I think Bono has p*ssed off too many people in the wrestling community (beyond the Askrens) that has hindered his recruiting and Reader is viewed more positively.  Plus, Becker probably is able to develop talent better than Bono in the wrestling room. 
Um???
Becker has more experience and has a better recruiting record, wouldn't he be the head coach in this imaginary scenario?
Becker could also be drawing a salary from coaching the RTC as well? Plus camps and the fact that he owns a lot of rental properties around dinky town make his income status a mystery.

I assume he's talking about Nick Becker rather than Luke Becker, but the OP didn't specify.  Nick Becker as head coach in the Big Ten would be a tough sell to the Wisconsin AD as he didn't even wrestle D1 in college.  I think all or most Big Ten wrestling head coaches have been former D1 wrestlers and usually quite accomplished ones. 
It would be a tough sell for any D2 wrestler to coach at any level of D1 which is why I assumed they were talking about Luke.

I agree with what you've said, if the Becker in question is LUke Becker.  The reason I assumed Nick Becker is that Ben Askren brought up Nick Becker's name as someone who he thinks is a good coach under the thread "Badgers under Bono".  Someone else in a later thread mentioned they thought Askren or Becker (didn't specify first name) would help instate recruiting, so since Ben Askren had mentioned specifically Nick B earlier, I assumed they were also referring to Nick Becker here, though I could be mistaken.

Nick Becker wrestled his first season at Central Michigan. 

SP

Better tall Mark Manning that he should quit coaching at Nebraska because he only wrestled at a DII school.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

BadgerOne

Quote from: SP on May 21, 2023, 07:24:56 AMBetter tall Mark Manning that he should quit coaching at Nebraska because he only wrestled at a DII school.

From his bio, he started wrestling for Nebraska (D1), then transferred to D2.  He also made the US Team for four years.  But like Becker, his college accomplishments are from D2.  But Manning had to make his mark as an assistant coach before being head coach. 

WrestlerSB80

Move Reader up and bring in Becker on the coaching staff, problem solved. That means Reader would be head coach and Nick would be an assistant coach.

asdf

Why the assumption a long term assistant coach under Bono would be any better at recruiting and development then  what is happening now?

wrestlemania

Quote from: asdf on May 21, 2023, 05:22:57 PMWhy the assumption a long term assistant coach under Bono would be any better at recruiting and development then  what is happening now?

Not to mention why Reader suddenly take away the head coaching position from someone he's worked with for years and is probably good friends with and bring on board someone he doesn't know very well at all.

My the absurdist fantasies around here. Amazing!

WrestlerSB80

I've heard Reader and Becker have a pretty good relationship.

wrastle63

Maybe Rowley left because Maylor was coming and didn't want to be behind him.

Maybe we got Maylor because Rowley's scholarship money opened up.

Either way Maylor is a good stop gap for one year and allows Condon to RS and wrestle with an experienced guy all season.

Harris

Quote from: WrestlerSB80 on May 22, 2023, 06:00:21 PMI've heard Reader and Becker have a pretty good relationship.

Reader has a good relationship with everyone.  That's one of his strongest qualities as a coach.  He is just a great all around guy on and off the mat.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: wrestlemania on May 22, 2023, 12:51:02 PM
Quote from: asdf on May 21, 2023, 05:22:57 PMWhy the assumption a long term assistant coach under Bono would be any better at recruiting and development then  what is happening now?

Not to mention why Reader suddenly take away the head coaching position from someone he's worked with for years and is probably good friends with and bring on board someone he doesn't know very well at all.

My the absurdist fantasies around here. Amazing!

I don't think it's absurd to think that Reader would take the HC'ing job...and frankly, I'd hope...in an admittedly wildly speculative hypothetical in which Bono is fired, he would give Reader his blessing.

As for Becker,  Nick Becker was a 3X undefeated D2 National Champion. 89-0. He dominated for 3 years. I think there's a little too much emphasis placed on what division he wrestled. He Wrestled with, and beat some of the best in the Country at US Opens.

He's not going to have an immediate impact like David Taylor or Kyle Dake, but I'm not sure kids are real familiar with Tom Ryan, Mike Poeta, or most coaches, Bono included.

I don't believe any of this is going to happen as Becker is working with at least 2 Brothers right now(I think Craig and Brad are assistants, not sure if Kyle is involved, but I'm sure he's present). He's building a pretty successful D2 program.

I don't believe any of this is going to happen or it's even on McIntosh's radar. But the idea that Becker couldn't or wouldn't thrive because he Wrestled D2...I think that's lacking foresight.