New Weights

Started by Junkyardpig, April 14, 2023, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Anyone can make a lot more money reffing or umping than they can coaching.  If people were in it for the money they would just ref.

Part of the reason I am for weight class reductions is to have more JV teams and duals.  Because of lower numbers most AD's view their wrestling team as one team.  This means that team gets a head coach and an assistant coach.  The assistant coach can go to the JV tournaments.  Everyone else is a volunteer or subsidized by the booster club.

Back when there was a varsity and JV each team had a head coach and assistant (4 paid coaches).  This is also why coaches need to push for varsity and JV's wrestling at the same time at duals on two side by side mats.  Now you need coaches for both teams at duals.  Plus it shortens up the nights and increases the number of fans and excitement in the gym with two matches going at once.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

MNbadger

I went to high school in the early to mid 70s.  We had one head coach and one JV coach.  It has been that way there ever since.  JV always has run before V in a single dual, simultaneously for tris and quads.
Where I am now we have a head coach, JV coach, and what is comparable to our other sports having a "sophomore coach".  Those are the three stipends paid by the district.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Quote from: DocWrestling on April 30, 2023, 07:44:12 PMAnyone can make a lot more money reffing or umping than they can coaching.  If people were in it for the money they would just ref.

Part of the reason I am for weight class reductions is to have more JV teams and duals.  Because of lower numbers most AD's view their wrestling team as one team.  This means that team gets a head coach and an assistant coach.  The assistant coach can go to the JV tournaments.  Everyone else is a volunteer or subsidized by the booster club.

Back when there was a varsity and JV each team had a head coach and assistant (4 paid coaches).  This is also why coaches need to push for varsity and JV's wrestling at the same time at duals on two side by side mats.  Now you need coaches for both teams at duals.  Plus it shortens up the nights and increases the number of fans and excitement in the gym with two matches going at once.
I understand your point, but you think going from 14 to 13 is going to create extra JV teams and coaching positions? Even going to 12 isn't going to change that.

DocWrestling

I agree that dropping one weight class would not make much difference which is why I would have gone all the way to 10 or 11 for duals and kept 14 for individual tournaments.

I wrestled for a D1 school.  We had two side by side mats with two duals going on at same time with team scores.  Lots of people in gym.

Now duals are boring if not the energy of two top teams.  Fewer kids, one match at a time, and we now have fieldhouses rather than gyms.  JV's wrestle first in front of a few parents.  Then there is a 30 minute break to let varsity warm up.  Most of the JV parents leave.  Then one match at a time.  Sure makes the night longer than it needs to be and less exciting in my mind.  Need everyone in gym at the same time with two matches going on at once.

wrastle63

Quote from: DocWrestling on May 01, 2023, 07:17:40 AMI agree that dropping one weight class would not make much difference which is why I would have gone all the way to 10 or 11 for duals and kept 14 for individual tournaments.

I wrestled for a D1 school.  We had two side by side mats with two duals going on at same time with team scores.  Lots of people in gym.

Now duals are boring if not the energy of two top teams.  Fewer kids, one match at a time, and we now have fieldhouses rather than gyms.  JV's wrestle first in front of a few parents.  Then there is a 30 minute break to let varsity warm up.  Most of the JV parents leave.  Then one match at a time.  Sure makes the night longer than it needs to be and less exciting in my mind.  Need everyone in gym at the same time with two matches going on at once.
I would be all for that. Make duals great again without reducing the number of state qualifiers, place winners, conference champs, etc.

littleguy301

Quote from: wrastle63 on May 01, 2023, 08:51:41 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on May 01, 2023, 07:17:40 AMI agree that dropping one weight class would not make much difference which is why I would have gone all the way to 10 or 11 for duals and kept 14 for individual tournaments.

I would be all for that. Make duals great again without reducing the number of state qualifiers, place winners, conference champs, etc.

Sounds great to say this but honestly with wisconsin weight loss plan there is no way we can gets kids from 14 to 10/11 weight classes for duals. Sorry just no way but if you want your kids to be way under weight for tournaments then possibly you can do just that.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DocWrestling

Figuring out the weight classes that are different for duals and tournaments can be difficult but not impossible.  And we certainly need to get rid of the complicated descent plan as it does very little for safety.

How about something like this?

14 Tournament Weight Classes
106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285

11 Dual weight classes (Eliminate 106, 120, and 220)
113, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 285

10 Dual Weight Classes (Increase 160 to 165 and eliminate 170)
113, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 165, 182, 195, 285

Ghetto

These can be tweaked but this is what bodyfat data shows:

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

wrastle63

Quote from: DocWrestling on May 02, 2023, 09:47:46 AMFiguring out the weight classes that are different for duals and tournaments can be difficult but not impossible.  And we certainly need to get rid of the complicated descent plan as it does very little for safety.

How about something like this?

14 Tournament Weight Classes
106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285

11 Dual weight classes (Eliminate 106, 120, and 220)
113, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 285

10 Dual Weight Classes (Increase 160 to 165 and eliminate 170)
113, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 165, 182, 195, 285

Think of how much talk there would be at team sectionals/state. State champ at 106 wrestles state champ at 113, who gets bumped out/up, etc. Would accomplish both goals of keeping the regional, sectional, state opportunities while making duals way more fun. Ghetto you probably have the answer already, but what percentage of teams would have 10 guys on a team?

Armdrag

Just my opinion......Duals aren't fun???? If the duals at your school are not fun just for the wrestling then you  need to do things above and beyond just the wrestling matches to add excitement. ..... we do things at our duals that make them and entertainment event beyond just the matches..........lighting..........smoke machines.....laser light show.....music....walk out songs......I dont think it is possible to not be entertained at a dual in Hortonville!!! I have had several coaches comment that they love wrestling at our place for the great atmosphere we create!!!

DocWrestling

You guys do it well in Hortonville!  We have not come close to creating a cool atmosphere since we moved to the new high school and giant fieldhouse. Our sound system and lights are below average and don't allow much.  I almost wish we wrestled on the stage in the performing arts center like Neenah has done.

Armdrag

Yes the duals on the stage in Neenah are awesome!! We were part of one of them, very cool

rankwizard

I'm pretty sure duals are already pretty exciting. Kids bump up all the time in dual strategy.

If you don't think duals between the top teams aren't already exciting, then you don't know dual strategy. I love following the big duals every year.

Dropping to 10, sure they still be exciting but you're just being silly throwing in another wrench... taking away the deeper team's strength if a team only has 9 great guys and 5 guys who are average and more beatable by the other team that is more well rounded. 

wrastle63

Quote from: rankwizard on May 03, 2023, 08:33:52 AMI'm pretty sure duals are already pretty exciting. Kids bump up all the time in dual strategy.

If you don't think duals between the top teams aren't already exciting, then you don't know dual strategy. I love following the big duals every year.

Dropping to 10, sure they still be exciting but you're just being silly throwing in another wrench... taking away the deeper team's strength if a team only has 9 great guys and 5 guys who are average and more beatable by the other team that is more well rounded. 
Obviously there are exciting duals, but there are also plenty of duals that are decided before someone steps on the mat. Lots of people on here complaining about duals being the reason to reduce weight classes. I personally don't value duals for a lot of teams. Obviously for the top teams duals are very exciting and important.

jojowiththaflow

So what are the new weights going to be?