Transfers

Started by PAUL, March 29, 2023, 06:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL

Sounds like there will be a lot of guys moving around this off-season.  I think being able to recruit guys out of HS is probably the best route to consistent success, however I recognize how much transfers can give the program a shot of energy.  Are there any names or lists of names around, and do you see any of these guys wearing the W next season?  Of course solid information is ideal, but rumors and speculation is always encouraged.... 

bigoil

Flo has a tracker on their website.

Seen Cannon  from NW both entered the portal. I swear I saw Lucas Davison on there too but don't see him now..

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/10776671-2023-ncaa-d1-wrestling-off-season-transfer-tracker

Handles II

The reality of the sport is that sometimes that kid out of high school is a bigger risk than a transfer who has proven themselves to A. be able to handle the academic rigor while competing B. They have already shown that they can stick with the sport and are willing to continue (albeit in a different program/location). ie those who couldn't, or didn't want that type of commitment are already weeded out.

DocWrestling

For all sports I think you will see a trend in coaches recruiting less high school kids and taking more proven transfers.  More high school kids are going to have to lower division schools and prove themselves first or in the case of wrestling many will end up at the lesser success schools and once they have success they will transfer into the big ten.  Don't like the system but is less risk for coaches and and allows all athletes a way to earn their way to the top of the sport which is the Big Ten
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Vir Fortis

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 30, 2023, 03:01:15 PMFor all sports I think you will see a trend in coaches recruiting less high school kids and taking more proven transfers.  More high school kids are going to have to lower division schools and prove themselves first or in the case of wrestling many will end up at the lesser success schools and once they have success they will transfer into the big ten.  Don't like the system but is less risk for coaches and and allows all athletes a way to earn their way to the top of the sport which is the Big Ten

I don't think you're going to see coaches recruiting less at the HS level. That's still the core of the team. The transfer portal is generally guys who got recruited over or who have run out of academic options(Shane Griffith for example).

But developing HS wrestlers who have roots in your program has to be the way forward. I can't imagine a team sustaining success by going with transfers over HS recruits(other than Michigan...).

DocWrestling

In wrestling you may be right because there just aremnot that many wrestlers that blow up with success in the EIWA, SOCON, or MAC and if they do everyone wants them.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrestle_4ever

Nagao has entered the portal!

It ain't the six minutes...it's what happens in that six minutes

Vir Fortis

Quote from: wrestle_4ever on April 06, 2023, 05:28:04 PMNagao has entered the portal!

That's a wild one. Is that confirmed? He looked like he was gonna be Minnesota's next stud(As in potential NC, maybe multi-time NC). One of the tougher top Wrestlers as just a Freshmen this year(RS, but still).

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on April 06, 2023, 07:11:51 PM
Quote from: wrestle_4ever on April 06, 2023, 05:28:04 PMNagao has entered the portal!

That's a wild one. Is that confirmed? He looked like he was gonna be Minnesota's next stud(As in potential NC, maybe multi-time NC). One of the tougher top Wrestlers as just a Freshmen this year(RS, but still).

Flo is showing it on their transfer tracker so that is confirmed. That one is a head scratcher for sure. Iowa and PSU could use a 133. Curious to see where he ends up. Also saw that Lucas Davison is going to Michigan.

vsmf2010

DeAugustino in the portal now too

bigoil

Looking like ncaa wrestling is going to be Michigan (if you buy cliff keen equipment, you are funding that team), Ohio State (if you are buying Rudis you are funding tOSU), Iowa and Penn State (scrap life but not the same degree as PSU has huge $$).

factfinder

Quote from: bigoil on April 07, 2023, 03:15:51 PMLooking like ncaa wrestling is going to be Michigan (if you buy cliff keen equipment, you are funding that team), Ohio State (if you are buying Rudis you are funding tOSU), Iowa and Penn State (scrap life but not the same degree as PSU has huge $$).
You are Not Wrong!!!
Those 3 programs are playing a different game than everyone else, even Iowa won't be keeping up in the future. There is almost no chance for the rest of the field!!! You might sneak in a few hammers but the team race is over before it even starts.

factfinder

Quote from: factfinder on April 08, 2023, 08:29:48 AM
Quote from: bigoil on April 07, 2023, 03:15:51 PMLooking like ncaa wrestling is going to be Michigan (if you buy cliff keen equipment, you are funding that team), Ohio State (if you are buying Rudis you are funding tOSU), Iowa and Penn State (scrap life but not the same degree as PSU has huge $$).
You are Not Wrong!!!
Those 3 programs are playing a different game than everyone else, even Iowa won't be keeping up in the future. There is almost no chance for the rest of the field!!! You might sneak in a few hammers but the team race is over before it even starts.
I give the Badgers credit for keeping Dean H after his freshman year, he could have easily went to a team with a real RTC, incredible partners, and $$$$.

wrestle_4ever

I give Dean credit for sticking with UW. I cannot state enough how much I love this guy!

Too many chumps make excuses for THEIR mistakes and THEIR failures. They place blame elsewhere and look for the easy way out, feel like they need the best program in order to excel. I love it when a wrestler commits to a program with everything they have. We live in an era where not many people are willing to make sacrifices. Everyone wants immediate success and doesn't want to work hard for it.

I applaud Mr. Hamiti for taking the high road and can't wait for him to stand atop the podium for the Badgers. We need more men like him- Rah!
It ain't the six minutes...it's what happens in that six minutes

Ghetto

I'll give $1000 to the RTC if they land Nagao.

That's probably enough tho. Who else is in on him? That dude had RBY on roller skates in the semis.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove