Transfers

Started by PAUL, March 29, 2023, 06:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrastle63

Been said that Iowa offered Truax $250,000 in NIL money.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

If true it sounds crazy for 1 year.

They probably do not have scholarship money to offer so I can see the NIL covering out of state school expenses.

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

BadgerOne

Quote from: Ghetto on April 11, 2023, 02:05:56 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on April 10, 2023, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: rjchev141 on April 09, 2023, 10:16:15 AMUnfortunately the largest indicator of future team success in college wrestling is a direct correlation to the amount of money the program can raise, which down the line effects the ability to develop the RTC, which down the line effects recruiting.  Team national championships are like fund raising competitions.
Quote from: leg turk on April 10, 2023, 09:01:19 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on April 10, 2023, 03:32:10 PMIn addition to throwing big money at Nagao, PSU also just received a commit from the No. 2 overall ranked 2024 recruit.  They currently have commits from Nos. 1, 2, 4, 8, 12 and 19 on the 2024 Big Board.  Not a bad recruiting class, eh?

The gap in talent between the top teams and us is huge. 

We need a salary cap.

Iowa has one billionaire and three major wrestling colleges to tap into that homestate money.  Wisconsin has seven billionaires and one D1 college.  Wisconsin has the instate resources, they just need to tap into it.  Bono is supposed to be a salesman.  He needs to sell the potential wealthy donors on the wrestling program.

What's the connection between the billionaires and wrestling? If there is one, then the connections can be made. Just saying there's a billionaire in the state is irrelevant.
Quote from: Ghetto on April 11, 2023, 02:05:56 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on April 10, 2023, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: rjchev141 on April 09, 2023, 10:16:15 AMUnfortunately the largest indicator of future team success in college wrestling is a direct correlation to the amount of money the program can raise, which down the line effects the ability to develop the RTC, which down the line effects recruiting.  Team national championships are like fund raising competitions.
Quote from: leg turk on April 10, 2023, 09:01:19 PM
Quote from: mkm13 on April 10, 2023, 03:32:10 PMIn addition to throwing big money at Nagao, PSU also just received a commit from the No. 2 overall ranked 2024 recruit.  They currently have commits from Nos. 1, 2, 4, 8, 12 and 19 on the 2024 Big Board.  Not a bad recruiting class, eh?

The gap in talent between the top teams and us is huge. 

We need a salary cap.

Iowa has one billionaire and three major wrestling colleges to tap into that homestate money.  Wisconsin has seven billionaires and one D1 college.  Wisconsin has the instate resources, they just need to tap into it.  Bono is supposed to be a salesman.  He needs to sell the potential wealthy donors on the wrestling program.

What's the connection between the billionaires and wrestling? If there is one, then the connections can be made. Just saying there's a billionaire in the state is irrelevant.

It makes as much sense as anything in this thread. Throwing your hands in the air, is no solution.  Wisconsin has as much opportunity to raise money as Iowa or Oklahoma State or Nebraska, yet those programs have had more success.  I believe each of those states has less wealth than Wisconsin and in the case of Iowa and Oklahoma those schools have more than one D1 school.  Iowa and Oklahoma State have more than 50 titles combined and if you add Iowa State and Oklahoma its over 60 titles.  I don't think money is as important as some here think, but for those who do think that way, then figure out how to raise more money as Wisconsin has enough resources for the money to not be an issue.

BadgerOne

Quote from: wrastle63 on April 11, 2023, 02:14:47 PMBeen said that Iowa offered Truax $250,000 in NIL money.

What about the Iowa kids not getting NIL money.  If they are as accomplished as Truax, aren't they going to want it too?  Buying athletes might help shore up a lineup, but there no doubt could be some negative repercussions too.  I hope it blows up in Iowa's face.

Ghetto

I'm not throwing my hands in the air.

I just don't see it. "Hey, random billionaire that resides in Wisconsin... I know you never wrestled and in no way have any connection to the sport. Can we have a few million?"

If anyone has access to the dude that owns Menards, maybe I can swing by and talk to him, since I hand him so much money  every year.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

STFM1

How much money does it take to win an NCAA title?

BuckyMatt

Quote from: STFM1 on April 12, 2023, 09:48:42 AMHow much money does it take to win an NCAA title?
How many All Americans do you need to win a Title?

It's been rumored that Bernie Truax was offered $250,000 to go to Iowa.

I heard Shane Griffith was offered $250,000 to leave Stanford.

Aaron Nagao was supposedly offered $100,000.

You are looking at $600,000 right there to add 2 high level AAs and Nagao.

Maybe $1,000,000(per year) to get enough pieces to win a title? 

littleguy301

Quote from: Ghetto on April 12, 2023, 08:29:28 AMI'm not throwing my hands in the air.

I just don't see it. "Hey, random billionaire that resides in Wisconsin... I know you never wrestled and in no way have any connection to the sport. Can we have a few million?"

If anyone has access to the dude that owns Menards, maybe I can swing by and talk to him, since I hand him so much money  every year.

Doesn't live to far from me. Road trip?
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

BadgerOne

I think there are plenty of All-Americans and champs not getting a cent of NIL money, though I expect sometime in the future, a majority of them might get some NIL money.  Badgers can offer nine full rides and one near full ride when sweetened with a little nil money, comes out to ten full rides.  Recruit better, field a better team, draw more interest and money and over time, Wisconsin has the opportunity to be a much better wrestling school.  Remember Iowa and Penn State weren't powerhouses until the 70s and 90s respectively and college wrestling has been around since the 1920s.  College wrestling had been around more than 45 years, before Iowa won a team title.

Ghetto

Quote from: littleguy301 on April 12, 2023, 11:30:58 AM
Quote from: Ghetto on April 12, 2023, 08:29:28 AMI'm not throwing my hands in the air.

I'm in.

I'll bring a pile of receipts to show how much I support him.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

BadgerOne

Quote from: Ghetto on April 12, 2023, 01:59:29 PM

I'm in.

Corporate sponsorships and private donations have much higher potential than money raised with a few games of cornhole.

bigoil

Quote from: BadgerOne on April 12, 2023, 03:25:06 PM

I'm in.

Corporate sponsorships and private donations have much higher potential than money raised with a few games of cornhole.

Yes because you are privy to understand how much was made at the Cornhole event. This is also more than a fundraising event as the wrestlers and coaches are visiting with members of the community. I think you were off the team by then but maybe not.

BadgerOne

Quote from: bigoil on April 12, 2023, 05:01:39 PM
Quote from: BadgerOne on April 12, 2023, 03:25:06 PM

I'm in.

Yes because you are privy to understand how much was made at the Cornhole event. This is also more than a fundraising event as the wrestlers and coaches are visiting with members of the community. I think you were off the team by then but maybe not.

What did Bono do with all that cornhole money?

MNbadger

I am figuring you at least $1,000,000 per year straight up for salaries with someone like Nagao(5th) getting $100,00 per year if you want to compete for top five. That is on top of any scholarships. 
Quote from: BuckyMatt on April 12, 2023, 10:24:05 AM
Quote from: STFM1 on April 12, 2023, 09:48:42 AMHow much money does it take to win an NCAA title?
How many All Americans do you need to win a Title?

It's been rumored that Bernie Truax was offered $250,000 to go to Iowa.

I heard Shane Griffith was offered $250,000 to leave Stanford.

Aaron Nagao was supposedly offered $100,000.

You are looking at $600,000 right there to add 2 high level AAs and Nagao.

Maybe $1,000,000(per year) to get enough pieces to win a title? 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

smitty71

I'm in.

go ahead and try but John Menard already spends most of his money on his kids race car.
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!