Youth State Improvement

Started by Scramble_king, March 25, 2023, 06:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Quote from: padre on March 28, 2023, 11:45:12 AMPersonally I believe going back to two qualifiers solves all the problems. 

With the girls brackets getting bigger I believe this is the only way to do it.

Scott, Jeff and the whole crew do a great job and are always trying to make it better.

Most of us don't want a third day. 
Or do we need state for 1st and 2nd graders? Has to be a choice to either reduce qualifiers or an age group. Heck I'm sure there is some place out there that holds an unofficial preK-K state championship, they could add to their tourney :). The seating has always sucked but I don't think I've heard complaints you couldn't see your kid with the seating rules.

A bit of foresight is probably needed it sounds like at wwf since this is the second thread in a couple of weeks on facilities/size of tournament. 

wrastle63

Quote from: padre on March 28, 2023, 11:45:12 AMPersonally I believe going back to two qualifiers solves all the problems.

With the girls brackets getting bigger I believe this is the only way to do it.

Scott, Jeff and the whole crew do a great job and are always trying to make it better.

Most of us don't want a third day. 
Yep. A lot of brackets aren't even full at 16. There were 39 brackets that were either at 16 or less wrestlers, which means all wrestlers qualified to state.  74 of the 128 brackets were not full brackets. 58% of brackets were not even filled at the state tournament.

Were talking about cutting weight classes in high school, but adding more and more kids per bracket and extra brackets to the state tournament. With 18-26 brackets in each boys age division compared to 14 in HS, and 24 wrestlers qualifying in each bracket compared to 16 in D1 and 12 in D2/D3.

rankwizard

I like the 3 qualifiers for the oldest 2 age groups... talent is deep and I know a lot of quality kids in 5th-8th grade. I saw a lot of high quality wrestlers not make state that put in a ton of off-season time.

The future of WI can be bright if people cooperate in a positive manner.

This year's 8th grade class is pretty deep

statman

Quote from: rankwizard on March 29, 2023, 08:52:24 AMI like the 3 qualifiers for the oldest 2 age groups... talent is deep and I know a lot of quality kids in 5th-8th grade. I saw a lot of high quality wrestlers not make state that put in a ton of off-season time.

Who are your top three for this class
they don't call me statman for nothin

harley25

Quote from: statman on March 29, 2023, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: rankwizard on March 29, 2023, 08:52:24 AMI like the 3 qualifiers for the oldest 2 age groups... talent is deep and I know a lot of quality kids in 5th-8th grade. I saw a lot of high quality wrestlers not make state that put in a ton of off-season time.

Do not know a lot of these kids but these 3 were impressive at State.
1. Bryston Scoles
2. Cade Aaberg
3. Josiah Beltran

rankwizard

Quote from: harley25 on March 30, 2023, 10:19:29 AM
Quote from: statman on March 29, 2023, 05:15:42 PM

Do not know a lot of these kids but these 3 were impressive at State.
1. Bryston Scoles
2. Cade Aaberg
3. Josiah Beltran

I could give a list of a few dozen 8th graders, these 3 are definitely young men that will be ready to compete at a high level next season.

rankwizard

One possible way to decrease number of wrestlers is to decrease number of weight classes in the younger groups by a few. 

The oldest group starts at 80 and goes up by 5lbs at first. That is good in my opinion.

The younger groups have 3 lb increments for most of the weight classes ... Maybe stretch half (or all?) of them to 4lb increments.

It is a kids event so it's great for kids to get that feeling at wrestling at state for sure. If people don't want to add a third day, this could be an option.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

qbit

was there saturday and sunday.. Way too long... Either go back to 16 man brackets or host girls on a different day. Has the tournament ever been this long?

Coach V

You weren't there Sunday  ;D  ;)
You dont wrestle,your a wrestler

DocWrestling

I liked the idea of keeping it at 24 wrestlers but have fewer weight classes.  No need at any age group for a weight class every 3 lbs.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

rankwizard

Quote from: DocWrestling on April 06, 2023, 03:03:37 PMI liked the idea of keeping it at 24 wrestlers but have fewer weight classes.  No need at any age group for a weight class every 3 lbs.

Thanx man. I like 24, but yea, lets decrease number of weight classes for the 2 younger age groups is my best advice.

Let the kids battle in 4 or 5lb increments, too many kids getting a free pass to the state tourney with this set-up.

I like the older groups as is... a ton of older kids battling well

rankwizard

Quote from: qbit on April 06, 2023, 09:39:41 AMwas there saturday and sunday.. Way too long... Either go back to 16 man brackets or host girls on a different day. Has the tournament ever been this long?

They did start a bit late Saturday probably due to weather.

Tourney could start at 830am instead of 930am.