Next year

Started by leg turk, March 19, 2023, 07:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grapl

I was thinking the same thing.  Braxton is much shorter than Davison, that could be a little problem.

dad 2 5

I just don't see Amos as a hwy and being successful but maybe I am wrong. It would be interesting to get Trent's or Pete's view on it as they partnered up in practice at times.

wrestle03

What makes anyone think Amos would do any better at HWT?  I dont see it.  He cant beat too many of the top 25 guys at 197........where are all the kool aid drinkers who were all proclaiming when he signed that he'd be "multiple time national champion?".................. Championships and All American status are not garnered or given based on high school achievements. Bono and Reader have done little to help this young man progress.  I wonder if he's questioning his decision to come to WI ?

bigoil

Quote from: wrestle03 on March 24, 2023, 06:56:21 AMWhat makes anyone think Amos would do any better at HWT?  I dont see it.  He cant beat too many of the top 25 guys at 197........where are all the kool aid drinkers who were all proclaiming when he signed that he'd be "multiple time national champion?".................. Championships and All American status are not garnered or given based on high school achievements. Bono and Reader have done little to help this young man progress.  I wonder if he's questioning his decision to come to WI ?
Everyone in Division 1 wrestling is talented and all of these guys have the same pressures of being in school, girls, partying, etc etc.  It comes down to how you deal with it.

If I recall one finalist from last year were seeded 9th and 14th and took 7th and 5th respectively. I think Braxton will get it done, HWT or 197.

Healthy and happy

Quote from: wrestle03 on March 24, 2023, 06:56:21 AMWhat makes anyone think Amos would do any better at HWT?  I dont see it.  He cant beat too many of the top 25 guys at 197........where are all the kool aid drinkers who were all proclaiming when he signed that he'd be "multiple time national champion?".................. Championships and All American status are not garnered or given based on high school achievements. Bono and Reader have done little to help this young man progress.  I wonder if he's questioning his decision to come to WI ?

It seems that some are real quick to blame a coach for not developing a kid, which certainly can be true and a valid point.   But to be fair, the student athlete has a tough road to navigate and many choices they make can hinder their development too . The level of maturity of these 18-23 year olds can vary a lot.   Here are to name a few:

1. Work ethic - how hard are they willing to work in practice, weight room, conditioning.  It is a whole new level and a HS work ethic doesn't always cut it.  Many State champions and Fargo/Super 32 high placers in every college wrestling room

2. Weight management - how and what are they eating and drinking, how disciplined are they with their food choices.  Eating well is not easy or necessarily fun to do

3. Injury and injury management - if they are hurt a bunch and not practicing, development is tough and out of their control.  Do they have access to recovery methods

4. Academic accountability -  have to stay eligible, go to class/study hall....etc 

5. Social life - How strong is the college life partying/drinking/smoking to them.  Are they staying out late and not getting enough sleep

6. Family dynamics - issues at home with parents, girl friends ...etc can be an emotional distraction

Last of all are they coachable, do they listen and willing to change the bad habits and some of the moves they used in HS that do not translate to winning on the collegiate level

Any one or a combination of these things can derail a kids college success and there are certainly many examples to go around.   So...unless you know specifically what is going on, don't be so quick to blame a coach for the lack of development.  Or the kid for that matter.   And it is likely you will not know because this will be kept internally

vsmf2010

Quote from: novice wrestler on March 24, 2023, 09:06:04 AM

Quote from: novice wrestler on March 24, 2023, 09:06:04 AM

It seems that some are real quick to blame a coach for not developing a kid, which certainly can be true and a valid point.   But to be fair, the student athlete has a tough road to navigate and many choices they make can hinder their development too . The level of maturity of these 18-23 year olds can vary a lot.   Here are to name a few:

1. Work ethic - how hard are they willing to work in practice, weight room, conditioning.  It is a whole new level and a HS work ethic doesn't always cut it.  Many State champions and Fargo/Super 32 high placers in every college wrestling room

2. Weight management - how and what are they eating and drinking, how disciplined are they with their food choices.  Eating well is not easy or necessarily fun to do

3. Injury and injury management - if they are hurt a bunch and not practicing, development is tough and out of their control.  Do they have access to recovery methods

4. Academic accountability -  have to stay eligible, go to class/study hall....etc 

5. Social life - How strong is the college life partying/drinking/smoking to them.  Are they staying out late and not getting enough sleep

6. Family dynamics - issues at home with parents, girl friends ...etc can be an emotional distraction

Last of all are they coachable, do they listen and willing to change the bad habits and some of the moves they used in HS that do not translate to winning on the collegiate level

Any one or a combination of these things can derail a kids college success and there are certainly many examples to go around.   So...unless you know specifically what is going on, don't be so quick to blame a coach for the lack of development.  Or the kid for that matter.   And it is likely you will not know because this will be kept internally

A lot of good things here. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I truly believe that college coaches get too much blame and too much credit. I suspect that most or all of the D1 coaches are very good and capable of taking an athlete to the top. I also think we are short changing the athlete by talking so much about the coaches and coaching. If a young man becomes an AA or stands at the top of the podium most of the credit belongs to them. Often in a interview when they ask a wrestler what is the key to their improvement they generally mention doing the right things on and off the mat and taking care of their body. That is important in all sports but super important in wrestling for sure. There are exceptions but that certainly is a big piece of the puzzle for most wrestlers.

One example is Chance Marsteller. Undefeated 4 time Pennsylvania state champ. I believe he was the #1 overall recruit out of HS. Could not get things right at Ok St and needed to move on. Certainly we do not think that John Smith is not a good coach. Chance took care of his issues finished up as a 2 time AA for Lock Haven and is now 2nd on the olympic ladder at 79kg to JB and ranked 14th in the world. I would give the man credit for putting his personal struggles behind him. Would not really think it is a coaching thing.

DocWrestling

Amos is a guy without a weight class and came in with greco credentials which don't ever seem to translate to elite college wrestling success.

Wrestling success often comes down to how much fun you can make it with the amount of cutting weight needed. And with that weight cut can you continue to train at an elite level.

I have always joked that you need to be a stupid meathead to be an elite wrestler so you are not smart enough to realize how hard you have to work and don't even recognize all the sacrifices needed.  Not having dreams of an academic professional career also helps which means getting the "recreational" degree.  The exceptions to this amaze me.

IN MY MIND THERE IS NOTHING MORE DIFFICULT IN LIFE THAN BEING A D1 WRESTLER AT A BIG TEN SCHOOL!  BEING AN NCAA QUALIFIER OR AA IS EVEN MORE AMAZING!  They all have my ultimate respect
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

rjchev141

Depth might look something like this:
125-Barnett
133-Rivera, Bobzien, Coy
141-Zargo, Lettini, Severin
149-Gomez, George, Medora, Sheen, Goebel
157-Anderson
165-Hamiti, Meicher
174-Otto, Condon, Calhoun, Model
184-Rawley
197-Amos, Talshahar
285-Christensen, Rosenfeld, Empey, Schmidtke

Gomez tweet about his weight was interesting....

mkm13

There will be some major holes in the lineup, especially if Rivera and Rowley don't make a big jump from what we saw this year.

There are several weights were it would appear a transfer would be interested based on the holes.  Curious how much scholarship money we have to work with.

BadgerOne

Quote from: mkm13 on March 30, 2023, 08:31:32 AMThere will be some major holes in the lineup, especially if Rivera and Rowley don't make a big jump from what we saw this year.

There are several weights were it would appear a transfer would be interested based on the holes.  Curious how much scholarship money we have to work with.

Bono's record with transfer is a mixed bag.  Gross and Gomez were excellent pickups who were available due to special circumstances. If there is an opportunity to bring in a guy who has championship caliber, I'd be all for it but I am not sure anyone in the portal strikes me as this (except for Anthony Ferarri who just committed to Iowa and of course, Vito if he is looking to transfer) I don't think Bono has fared as well with the other transfers, primarily guys with a year left, brought in to shore up a spot to help the team for duals as none of them has significantly helped at NCAAs.  I'd rather see scholarship money go to guys who have championship or at least AA upside.  The class of 2024 is where Bono should focus his attention to the top tier guys like Davino and Hopke, guys with championship upside and who seem open to considering Wisconsin.

dad 2 5

Quote from: rjchev141 on March 29, 2023, 09:43:28 PMDepth might look something like this:
125-Barnett
133-Rivera, Bobzien, Coy
157-Anderson
165-Hamiti, Meicher
184-Rawley
197-Amos, Talshahar

I did not see the tweet, what did it say? That line up has a lot of holes, ouch. I think there would have to be huge jump by most the team and of course transfers could start right way at several weights. Remind me who is incoming freshmen 23-24?

asdf

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 31, 2023, 10:30:33 AM
Quote from: rjchev141 on March 29, 2023, 09:43:28 PMDepth might look something like this:
125-Barnett
133-Rivera, Bobzien, Coy
157-Anderson
165-Hamiti, Meicher
184-Rawley
197-Amos, Talshahar

I did not see the tweet, what did it say? That line up has a lot of holes, ouch. I think there would have to be huge jump by most the team and of course transfers could start right way at several weights. Remind me who is incoming freshmen 23-24?

He tweeted out he weighed in at 141# for recent open toruney

rjchev141

Quote from: asdf on March 31, 2023, 10:42:15 AM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 31, 2023, 10:30:33 AM
125-Barnett
133-Rivera, Bobzien, Coy
157-Anderson
165-Hamiti, Meicher
184-Rawley
197-Amos, Talshahar

He tweeted out he weighed in at 141# for recent open toruney

From Flo Rankings at 145 & 170 (Class of 23)
18   SR   Julian George   Christian Brothers   NJ   Wisconsin   17
9   SR   Lucas Condon   Poway   CA   Wisconsin   8

There is no denying that recruiting has to improve, this is not enough to keep pace in the Big 10.  I'm anxiously waiting for some twitter action.