NCAA Session 1

Started by DocWrestling, March 16, 2023, 11:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWrestling

Gomez made one stupid mistake but otherwise I was very surprised how much healthier he looked.  Hopefully that knee wakes up tomorrow feeling good
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

TomM

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 16, 2023, 09:35:26 PMNot sure why Harvard wrestler did not choose down but good smart boring match by Hillger. Honestly looked like one of those matches that Hillger's weight gain helped him as Harvard wrestler was smaller.  On more win to be an AA.
Hillger is super on top, is my guess for the decision to go neutral.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

wrestlemania

Second round not as a good as the first but not a disaster either. Two wrestlers in the quarters and three more still going. Still have a shot at five AA's.

Dang Amos cannot catch a break!

UW in a pretty good spot tied for 10th, higher than I remember them being after the first day of nationals in a long time. But woulda, coulda, shoulda wins by Barnett and Zargo and yeah, their 3rd-5th. It stinks! The only way this program can breakthrough is by winning these close matches consistently. At least Hillger did so, so that's a hopeful sign.

Hopefully UW will have just as a good a tomorrow!

scrambledeggs

I don't understand getting taken down with 12 seconds left in the match, to put you down by 1 and just laying flat and accepting the loss. I would think in this tournament you would do everything in your power to attempt to get away even if your chances of doing so are next to none.

scrambledeggs

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 16, 2023, 09:57:35 PMGomez made one stupid mistake but otherwise I was very surprised how much healthier he looked.  Hopefully that knee wakes up tomorrow feeling good

Yes, he made a bad decision but mistakes happen. He does look like a completely different wrestler than 2 weeks ago. I feel confident he can win a couple matches or more on the backside. Just glad he is able to compete.

bigoil

Quote from: scrambledeggs on March 17, 2023, 06:37:40 AMI don't understand getting taken down with 12 seconds left in the match, to put you down by 1 and just laying flat and accepting the loss. I would think in this tournament you would do everything in your power to attempt to get away even if your chances of doing so are next to none.
I thought the same initially but then when they got up Noto had Barnett's legs crossed.

DocWrestling

Quote from: bigoil on March 17, 2023, 07:15:13 AM
Quote from: scrambledeggs on March 17, 2023, 06:37:40 AMI don't understand getting taken down with 12 seconds left in the match, to put you down by 1 and just laying flat and accepting the loss. I would think in this tournament you would do everything in your power to attempt to get away even if your chances of doing so are next to none.
I thought the same initially but then when they got up Noto had Barnett's legs crossed.

I also would have liked to see some sort of fight there at least.  Maybe a mental mistake and not knowing how much time was left but that was certainly a crushing takedown but so was giving up the reversal.  He certainly wrestled hard until that final 12 seconds.

Going to be interesting where Gomez and Barnett are mentally today after those crushing defeats.  Today is as much a mental test as a physical test.  If Barnett can win his first one today I could see him getting on a roll.  Gomez has a decent draw also

scrambledeggs

I watched it 3 times, his legs are straight, top guy had left arm across both legs at the upper thigh. Either way, not even an attempt to get up. His chances of getting away may have been 3% but laying there and doing nothing makes it 100% certain you have no chance. I'm not trying to bring the man down, he is obviously an excellent wrestler. Doing this mid season is fine I guess, but in this tournament I just figured you don't quit until you hear the whistle when you are only down by 1. He is not the first wrestler I have seen give up with time left, he won't be the last but I just don't get why they do it. If he would have been down by 2 I think I would be better with it.

scrambledeggs

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 17, 2023, 07:42:28 AM

I also would have liked to see some sort of fight there at least.  Maybe a mental mistake and not knowing how much time was left but that was certainly a crushing takedown but so was giving up the reversal.  He certainly wrestled hard until that final 12 seconds.

Going to be interesting where Gomez and Barnett are mentally today after those crushing defeats.  Today is as much a mental test as a physical test.  If Barnett can win his first one today I could see him getting on a roll.  Gomez has a decent draw also

They have both been here before. I think having the night to get their head right should help. I think they both have a solid draw the next two rounds, definitely both guys have 2 very winnable matches in front of them.

I didn't see anyone mention it here yet but Hamiti looks like a man on a mission to this point. That is a sick weight but I believe at his best he can beat anyone in it.

DocWrestling

On paper Barnett's day gets easier with each match...

First match against # 7 seed.

Next match would be against #16 seed or #18 seed

Blood round match would be against the #27 seed

Gomez has #13 seed first
Then either #21 or # 22 seed
Blood round match against the #8 seed

wrastle63

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 17, 2023, 08:13:49 AMOn paper Barnett's day gets easier with each match...

Gomez has #13 seed first

Yea they both have solid paths to AA, but going to have to bring it right away this morning.

Model has #20 seed first
Then #22 seed or #28 seed.
Blood round would be probably #8 Lewan. Model lost 5-3 this year.

Still think we have a really good shot at Barnett, Gomez, Model, Hamiti, and Hillger all AAing.

DocWrestling

Hillger will have to likely beat #8 seed from Iowa St in blood round to be an AA

vsmf2010

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 17, 2023, 08:23:13 AMHillger will have to likely beat #8 seed from Iowa St in blood round to be an AA

That would be a rematch of the "shoe" match from earlier in the year went Trent had him beat and was holding on with the clock winding down and Schuyler's shoe came off and he got a last minute takedown. Schuler got spiked on his shoulder on a mat return by Davison last night so it will be interesting to see if he is healthy enough to get to the blood round.

It brings up something my son and I have been discussing since the big tens. Austin got called for a slam on a double when the opponent was in on a chest wrap but his arms were not trapped. However they never call a slam on a mat return. Davison was locked around Schuyler's arm and body and spiked him right on the shoulder of the trapped arm. No slam, Schuyler had to take injury time, Davison chose bottom and got out which basically made a close match not close. Two point swing in an 8/9 Hwt is a massive swing.

wrastle63

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 17, 2023, 08:50:07 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 17, 2023, 08:23:13 AMHillger will have to likely beat #8 seed from Iowa St in blood round to be an AA

That would be a rematch of the "shoe" match from earlier in the year went Trent had him beat and was holding on with the clock winding down and Schuyler's shoe came off and he got a last minute takedown. Schuler got spiked on his shoulder on a mat return by Davison last night so it will be interesting to see if he is healthy enough to get to the blood round.

It brings up something my son and I have been discussing since the big tens. Austin got called for a slam on a double when the opponent was in on a chest wrap but his arms were not trapped. However they never call a slam on a mat return. Davison was locked around Schuyler's arm and body and spiked him right on the shoulder of the trapped arm. No slam, Schuyler had to take injury time, Davison chose bottom and got out which basically made a close match not close. Two point swing in an 8/9 Hwt is a massive swing.
Yea going to guess Schuyler's shoulder is feeling pretty rough today.

rankwizard

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 17, 2023, 08:13:49 AMOn paper Barnett's day gets easier with each match...

Gomez has #13 seed first

#27 seed is no slouch.

Your next match is always the hardest and most important.

Go Badgers!