Change from Parallel to Serial

Started by Wrestlologist, February 28, 2023, 07:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrestlologist

OK.  I know I will get bashed multiple times.  I have been reading this forum for many years.  I can take it.

This post is concerning WIAA Individual State Wrestling.  I have watched every tournament since way before it was moved to the Kohl Center. Last Saturday evening I watched the Air Traffic Controller (with the glasses on) calling the wrestlers and refs back to the table until the Controller gave his official arm motions so they could all walk out to the center of their respective mats and start their respective matches at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME. 

Why?

There were a lot of weights that I wanted to watch more than one match.  If the matches were started serially, one after another as soon as one was done, we could all watch all the matches. Start the next match as soon as the first one is done and the winning wrestler has completed his special backflip (but before he runs into the crowd to give his Mom a hug). Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds after the arm raise.

Last Saturday the Grand March started around 5:30, so the actual wrestling must have started around 6:00.  Wrestling was done before 9:00 pm.  Three hours. 

Assuming 14 typical wrestling matches take about 1.5 hours, then 14 times 3 matches would take about 4.5 hours.  Start at 5:00 pm and be done at 9:30 pm. 

What about awards?  Put the podium spotlight and camera on while wrestling is happening on the next weight class. The view of the super large computer screen above the floor is great and really showed the award winners better than sitting nearby and especially better than sitting in most Kohl Center seats.

I paid 67 dollars for tickets to all sessions and couldn't watch 3/4 of the finals.  For example, I had a personal reason to watch D3 220, but I sure didn't want to miss Hopke in D2 or the future Missouri wrestler in D1.  And what about the Girls?  So I had to focus on Hopke first, knowing he would pin his opponent quickly.  Then I would have to decide between D3 on one end of the floor or D1 way on the other end.

Sure wish we could stretch out the Finals and be able to watch ALL the matches, start to finish.

What do you think?
Always do what is right ... God doesn't grade on a curve.

Wrestlologist

Sorry.  I forgot to factor in the Girls.  Add at least one half hour more to the total time of the Finals for the Girls.  They have less classes and more pins.  Five hours total.  All WISCONSIN CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING!  I would stay to watch.

imwi

I may not be totally clear on what you are proposing but if I am following you, you aren't suggesting wrestling one at a time, just to stagger the start time.  If that is correct, you could still run in to wanting to watch all 4 wrestlers at the same time, 195 D1, 235 girls, 220 D2 & 285 D3.  I don't think your scenario would prevent that.  You just happened to want to watch all the 220's this year, that could be different next year.

Also, not sure on your time computations, yes, I'd agree a regular dual is 1.5 hours but with awards that slows down considerably.  I don't think they'd ever present awards while there is wrestling going on, that's more that you'd miss, they want to give the podium placers their due but also not detract from who's wrestling.

Wrestlologist

My original post isn't very clear.  I am proposing one match at a time.  Four complete matches before the next weight and then four more, one at a time. Every match gets everyone's full attention.

imwi

Perfect world?  Yep, that'd be great but I think it'd take way too long.  I'd much rather see double elimination and 2-2-2 for all matches before changing the finals. 

Also, you have that issue during the whole tournament, 6 matches going all the time, you're going to miss some.  Agree, they aren't championship but I like some that aren't in the finals also and I miss their matches.

benaskren

Well I love the sentiment but that would make the finals 12 hours(3 hours x 4). I think this would be very tough to swallow for fans.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

crossface21

Agreed that it only taking 4.5-5 hours would not be realistic.

One thing that I think would be awesome though, is with Bally's televising it, many people have the app for Bally's. Give us the option of what mat to watch or watching the regular broadcast with all 4 at once. Much like the rest of the tournament on NFHS. I'm betting you could find some communication majors with wrestling experience somewhere in the state to announce for each mat or just not have individual mat announcers.

Numbers

Well moving from 3 boys divisions to 2 would put more eyeballs on each finals match.  It would likely come with two 16 person brackets, two matches guaranteed, maybe all two minute periods, maybe place to 8th. 

If there was more time available, I would not be opposed to the semis waiting for both semis matches in a division to complete before moving to the next weight.

FYI for a subscription fee, you can watch the replays of all state tournament matches on TrackWrestling.

Wis-Mallard

Wrestle 2 mats continuously and do the awards at the same time or after all matches are completed. Clap for champ when they win the match. Assuming 6 minute average per match it would take 2 hours 42 minutes. Obviously some would be longer than 6 minutes but others would be quicker. If assume 8 minutes per match, then takes 3 hours 36 minutes to complete.

They did awards after Northern Badger finals and most liked the continuous wrestling.

blacknblue

I'm a fan of continuous wrestling.
Put the podium work on the big screen. Not sure about the announcing of podium wrestlers during other matches though. Might need creative solution to that.
It is very nice that my track account lets me watch all the matches that I missed.
You can drill and waste your time or you can drill and get better. Either way we're going to drill! - D.G.

GO BLUE!!

yaknowwhatimean?

How about 4 mats square in the middle for finals instead of lined up the length of the Kohl center.  Very hard to see matches at the other end.

rankwizard

All good ideas to consider.

One thing that bugged me is standing ovations for one winner while there were one or two other matches going on that were going down to the wire.

Not a big deal really but I was more interested in the close matches at the time and not the guy who was winning by a good margin.