WWF Kids Middle School Team State

Started by WrestlerSB80, February 28, 2023, 12:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WrestlerSB80

This Sunday in Fond Du Lac, 3th-5th, 6th-8th D1 and 6-8th D2.

Just looking at the rosters for the 6-8 grade teams. Definitely a lot of top kids from the state will be wrestling.

statman

This was an awesome tournament. We (luxemburg casco) won our 4th straight team title. Hats off to mineral point who took second. One of the funnest duals I've been a part of. Our studs wrestled their studs and it was tight the whole way. Our youth took 2nd and bay port won d1 beating Hartford via the 7th tiebreaker criteria. Awesome day.
they don't call me statman for nothin

bulldog24

Unfortunately, the 6 MS teams that were stuck wrestling on the mats closest to the bleachers did not get the same experience that you did. The experience at this tournament was the worst I have ever experienced at any level as a coach. They need to separate this tournament next year, because the facility can not hold all of the people that were there.

From the beginning of the day tensions were high because there was no where to sit for the fans, and no where for the coaches and wrestlers to go. Parents were swearing at kids, kids were getting pushed by parents, parents were screaming back and forth at eachother. It was the worst experience of a sporting event I can ever remember. The WWF really screwed this one up.

statman

Quote from: bulldog24 on March 06, 2023, 08:19:27 AMUnfortunately, the 6 MS teams that were stuck wrestling on the mats closest to the bleachers did not get the same experience that you did. The experience at this tournament was the worst I have ever experienced at any level as a coach. They need to separate this tournament next year, because the facility can not hold all of the people that were there.

From the beginning of the day tensions were high because there was no where to sit for the fans, and no where for the coaches and wrestlers to go. Parents were swearing at kids, kids were getting pushed by parents, parents were screaming back and forth at eachother. It was the worst experience of a sporting event I can ever remember. The WWF really screwed this one up.

I agree it was not great what the wwf did by adding 11 teams to a venue that can't hold it. Keep in mind this is not the fault of fond du lac. But I was commenting more on the wrestling

Ship-Titan-Wolve

Geez

"Parents were swearing at kids, kids were getting pushed by parents, parents were screaming back and forth at eachother."

I was not there but if this was how parents were acting then shame on them. Providing feedback and creative criticism is great but to blame the WWF for it seems a stretch.

I commend the WWF for hosting this event and creating awesome opportunites for the youth wrestlers. To give them the opprotunity to wrestling in the dual envronment is awesome.

bigoil

Quote from: Ship-Titan-Wolve on March 06, 2023, 09:44:33 AMGeez

"Parents were swearing at kids, kids were getting pushed by parents, parents were screaming back and forth at eachother."

I was not there but if this was how parents were acting then shame on them. Providing feedback and creative criticism is great but to blame the WWF for it seems a stretch.

I commend the WWF for hosting this event and creating awesome opportunites for the youth wrestlers. To give them the opprotunity to wrestling in the dual envronment is awesome.
Obviously the WWF is not the parents but when you try to place that many teams in a venue that can't hold it, you should not expect tooth fairy's to be watching. Love to hear Doc's take if he was there.

WWF has to bear responsibility for the surroundings.

bulldog24

Quote from: bigoil on March 06, 2023, 09:51:00 AM
Quote from: Ship-Titan-Wolve on March 06, 2023, 09:44:33 AMGeez

Obviously the WWF is not the parents but when you try to place that many teams in a venue that can't hold it, you should not expect tooth fairy's to be watching. Love to hear Doc's take if he was there.

WWF has to bear responsibility for the surroundings.

Statman, I completely agree. This was not the fault of Fond du Lac. This was the result of the WWF trying to run to big of a tournament in a facility that was not equipped to handle that many people. We came last year for the first time. We were in the big gym, it was extremely crowded for parents, but they were still able to be by the mat their kids were wrestling on. We had a great experience, and we felt that our kids got to experience the excitement of what a dual can provide. They were standing up, cheering on their teammates, and surrounding their teammates as they came of the mat to congratulate them.

However, this year, our kids did not get that experience being packed in that little gym. This year, they got to experience what it was like being in trouble the entire day for doing nothing wrong, because there was no where for them to go, and if they even thought about standing up, they were getting screamed at.

My suggestion to the WWF is somehow separate Team State. Either split the days or split the groups into two different locations. What they tried to do this year didn't work.

DocWrestling

I missed the tournament due to family obligation but I have heard the facility was busting at the seams.

The great news is that the tournament is growing each year.

In 2022 they had 34 teams competing and only used the main fieldhouse

Yesterday they had 43 teams and used the main fieldhouse plus the small gym.  Sounds like it did not go well in the small gym

With continued growth the WWF may have to look into splitting up or a new facility?  I cannot imagine there are many larger facilities than Fond du Lac so to keep it in one place probably have to go to Dells or a conference center but that would likely increase costs quite a bit.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

statman

So my understanding is fond du lac said they would open up the smaller gym for the youth tournament. Then wwf added 11 more teams which caused the d2 and 3 moved to smaller gym.

WrestlerSB80

The wrestling dual's were awesome for division 1 6th-8th, lots of dual's coming down to final matche. Would have like to watch 6th-8th D2, but was in different gym. No chairs for the wrestlers.

JeffJones

The WWF had a miscalculation on what could be done in the small gym at WWF Team State Championships. We did make adjustments as the day went on and it got better but it was not up to our standards. We will be relooking at things and adjusting for next year. If anyone wants, you can email me directly jeffjones99@att.net or Todd Schaaf tjschaaf@yahoo.com with any comments.

Jeff Jones
WWF State Tournament Director