Upgrades

Started by benaskren, February 26, 2023, 07:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tims

Taking sectional champion out as a criteria as well as State Q from prior year.  A sectional champion already gives you an edge in seeding over 8 opponents. Not all Sectionals are the same.  I don't believe it was because Koch was a freshman that he got hurt in the seeding.  I think it was because he was already behind 8 guys in 1 criteria and He couldn't catch up with Head-to-head and Common Opps.  Remember he wrestled up most of the year.

benaskren

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on February 27, 2023, 10:05:06 AMBen,

The best upgrade would be for you to go to another state and embarrass them. You are the worst thing to happen to Wisconsin Wrestling ever.

As soon as more wrestlers get to know Nazar you will go under.

I am also waiting for the WIAA to investigate your scholarship offerings to the better wrestlers in the state.

But I guess if you like to cheat the system Askren is your choice.

PS:

Don't try to monopolies high school wrestling.

LOL almost too many stupid things in 1 post to reply to but let me make this simple for you....

In 2011 we opened AWA because we wanted to share our passion for wrestling and we believe the sport of wrestling helps kids build good character.  Kids seem to like it and kept showing up, so we opened another and another and another.  We have been able to help a lot of kids find a passion for the sport of wrestling and therefore this has led us to have a lot of success.

The state of Wisconsin has went from 2-3 kids ranked nationally yearly to 10-15, I am not really sure what makes so many of you mad.  We are simply helping a lot of kids find a passion for wrestling and get really good at it. 

We care more about the kids we coach than anonymous knuckleheads so my guess is we will continue to grow and prosper. 

Hope this helps you understand :)
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

rankwizard

Quote from: Tims on February 27, 2023, 12:34:05 PMTaking sectional champion out as a criteria as well as State Q from prior year.  A sectional champion already gives you an edge in seeding over 8 opponents. Not all Sectionals are the same.  I don't believe it was because Koch was a freshman that he got hurt in the seeding.  I think it was because he was already behind 8 guys in 1 criteria and He couldn't catch up with Head-to-head and Common Opps.  Remember he wrestled up most of the year.

I'd keep these criteria, but I would create stipulations when to override them. Also, they  shouldn't say sectional champ is more important than past State Q, because that is only true maybe 50% of the time.

NEW_Wrestling

Quote from: benaskren on February 27, 2023, 01:28:03 PM

The best upgrade would be for you to go to another state and embarrass them. You are the worst thing to happen to Wisconsin Wrestling ever.

I am also waiting for the WIAA to investigate your scholarship offerings to the better wrestlers in the state.

PS:

LOL almost too many stupid things in 1 post to reply to but let me make this simple for you....

In 2011 we opened AWA because we wanted to share our passion for wrestling and we believe the sport of wrestling helps kids build good character.  Kids seem to like it and kept showing up, so we opened another and another and another.  We have been able to help a lot of kids find a passion for the sport of wrestling and therefore this has led us to have a lot of success.

The state of Wisconsin has went from 2-3 kids ranked nationally yearly to 10-15, I am not really sure what makes so many of you mad.  We are simply helping a lot of kids find a passion for wrestling and get really good at it. 

We care more about the kids we coach than anonymous knuckleheads so my guess is we will continue to grow and prosper. 

The reason for nationally ranked kids is because of Tom Clark and Nilo taking so many of them to national tournaments. It really has little to do with you.

It is also most obvious you care little about the kids and all about your pocket book.

Simple example is your prices
Another is how you can't help but take credit for those who were great before they ever came to you.

You can't even give credit to those programs that really made these kids.

Sorry Ben but you aren't who you think you are.

badgerstateref

Quote from: fryguy518 on February 27, 2023, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: beswres00 on February 27, 2023, 01:45:56 AM
Quote from: pitman on February 27, 2023, 01:33:13 AMWhy are they still using "towel boys"?
thought of this idea years ago but seen it in a few tournaments this year. The refs wore a bracelet that's went off when the clock did. I figure it must be blue tooth related but this takes the judgment and towel boy out of the equation.
In one of our kids matches, the bracelet went off and the clock still had 15 second left in the first period and our kid was super close to getting the pin.  Ended up not mattering as he went on to get the win. 

As someone who has wore the wrist buzzers extensively, I can count on one hand how many times the buzzer has failed on its own over thousands of matches reffed. The most common error occurs when the official fails to set the proper mat when they rotate.

I'd love to see towel tappers still be involved at state (great opportunity for the kids) but asked to remain at 5 feet, shout down the count from four, but not actually say "time". The actual mechanism of the "tap" is often not at the exact time of the buzz on the wrist (which is precisely accurate), and that can create issues if you have a close buzzer call.

The buzzers are wonderful. I wish I could buy my own and have it for every match I ref, although it requires a Trackwrestling clock to be in use to operate.

By the way, my two cents:
- Yes to full wrestlebacks and all 6 minute matches at state. I think the leadership will see how much empty mat time we had this year and seek to make those changes.
- Yes to starting the state finals at a different weight class each year.
- I would have preferred girls mats to be 3-4 and D2 on 5-6 for semis/placements or vice versa. It made it hard to follow on the board to see D1-D1-D2-Girls-D2-Girls-D3-D3.
- From what I understand, D1 has more spots at state due to opportunity. A lower percentage of contestants make it to state in D1 that wrestle at regionals than D2 and D3, even though they have more 33% spots available on only 26% more teams than 2 & 3.
- The two supporting points in bounds rule isn't going anywhere. Yes, one supporting point becomes clearer to adjudicate, but due to liability issues, my understanding is that it's gone just about as far as it will go in the high school version of our sport.

The Last Ride

Quote from: benaskren on February 26, 2023, 07:13:34 PMThe WIAA State tournament is a great product.  Only a few updates I would make.

- All 6 minute matches. 1 minute first periods are non sense.

- Full wrestlebacks.  We dont start until 3pm on Thursday!!! Start at 1 and it could be done easily.  It is only 4 more matches per brackets.

- Seeding is close but also needs to be fixed so head to head is significantly more important than previous season results, a lot can change in a year.

Good job WIAA

Agree 100%

- All 6 minute matches. 1 minute first periods are non sense 

"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

DocWrestling

WIAA operates state tournaments off of enrollment.  D1 enrollment is supposedly similar to D2 and D3 combined.  Based on enrollment D2 and D3 are already overrepresented at the individual state tournament with 12 wrestlers each for a total of 24 versus 16 for D1. There is no way the WIAA is going to make D2 and D3 brackets of 16. There are plenty of studs in D2 and D3 but everyone knows in generalities that is already easier to qualify in D2 and D3.

Do you want 48 wrestlers at state instead of the present 40 or do you just want consistency in bracket types?

Either way I think the only way that is going to happen is the WIAA will go to 2 divisions and have 24 wrestlers qualify in each division.  I have heard the WIAA is seriously considering moving wrestling to 2 divisions due to changes in enrollment in rural areas as well as participation numbers.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

Ben is not in this for the money, that may seem like it but a) have you ever gone to a karate class, having property you use for only a few hours a day, is not really ideal and b) he and all their coaches travel with teams, likely out of their own pockets.

I also think Ben would share his 1040, and you'd be very surprised. 😮

bulldog

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on February 27, 2023, 01:57:38 PM

PS:

The reason for nationally ranked kids is because of Tom Clark and Nilo taking so many of them to national tournaments. It really has little to do with you.

It is also most obvious you care little about the kids and all about your pocket book.

Another is how you can't help but take credit for those who were great before they ever came to you.

I don't know where this suddenly became a "trash Askren" thread but I will jump in. My kids were NOT Askren wrestlers but I can say back in 2012 - 2018 the boys attended Askren camps and I know first hand that any time our boys wanted to get on a mat Ben and Max were more than accommodating. We stuck by our club and will always say that club built a great foundation for our boys but I will also say the Askrens helped give the boys a bit of a new look on the sport and helped build their confidence on the mat. So while some are not fans I would say the exposure does help continue to build the visibility of the sport and I have only seen positive come out of any involvement my boys had with the Askrens.

ckwrestler

This may have been answered already or maybe I'm out of the loop now that I no longer live in WI, but does the new seeding criteria affect how wrestlers treat the tournament series when it comes to dropping down a weight class prior to conference or regional tournaments?  Is it better to keep those head-to-head matchups intact than drop where you've possibly had fewer matches with wrestlers in your bracket once you get to state?

PAUL

I would say THANK YOU to Ben and his team, as well as to the other wrestling operations in Wisconsin.  If they make money God Bless them as nobody forces families to send their kids to these places.  Additionally, I'd say it's pretty obvious that the caliber of wrestling in our state is increasing rapidly.  That is a great thing and I'd say it's mostly due to these training programs raising the bar across the board.  Do I wish that more of these kids became Badgers?  Absolutely, it would be tremendous and the buzz all over the state would be amazing.  That being said, kids go where they go for many reasons, and I don't claim to know what goes through the mind of a 17-year old kid and/or his family.  These are complicated and life changing decisions, and while there are other factors involved I'd say Wisconsin (and pretty much every other program for that matter) needs to focus on selling their program and doing whatever it can (within the rules) to attract these talented kids to their teams.  Viva, Ben and On Wisconsin!

NEW_Wrestling

Quote from: bigoil on February 27, 2023, 02:58:36 PMBen is not in this for the money, that may seem like it but a) have you ever gone to a karate class, having property you use for only a few hours a day, is not really ideal and b) he and all their coaches travel with teams, likely out of their own pockets.

I am not interested in his 1040 or what Ben claims he makes...

He is in for money and there is no question about that.

NEW_Wrestling

Quote from: bulldog on February 27, 2023, 03:37:13 PM
Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on February 27, 2023, 01:57:38 PM

PS:

I don't know where this suddenly became a "trash Askren" thread but I will jump in. My kids were NOT Askren wrestlers but I can say back in 2012 - 2018 the boys attended Askren camps and I know first hand that any time our boys wanted to get on a mat Ben and Max were more than accommodating. We stuck by our club and will always say that club built a great foundation for our boys but I will also say the Askrens helped give the boys a bit of a new look on the sport and helped build their confidence on the mat. So while some are not fans I would say the exposure does help continue to build the visibility of the sport and I have only seen positive come out of any involvement my boys had with the Askrens.

Quote from: PAUL on February 27, 2023, 07:28:19 PMI would say THANK YOU to Ben and his team, as well as to the other wrestling operations in Wisconsin.  If they make money God Bless them as nobody forces families to send their kids to these places.  Additionally, I'd say it's pretty obvious that the caliber of wrestling in our state is increasing rapidly.  That is a great thing and I'd say it's mostly due to these training programs raising the bar across the board.  Do I wish that more of these kids became Badgers?  Absolutely, it would be tremendous and the buzz all over the state would be amazing.  That being said, kids go where they go for many reasons, and I don't claim to know what goes through the mind of a 17-year old kid and/or his family.  These are complicated and life changing decisions, and while there are other factors involved I'd say Wisconsin (and pretty much every other program for that matter) needs to focus on selling their program and doing whatever it can (within the rules) to attract these talented kids to their teams.  Viva, Ben and On Wisconsin!

I know people will always come to Ben's aid.

Truth is I will thank any other club owner in the state just not Ben.

ckwrestler

Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on February 27, 2023, 08:55:54 PM
Quote from: bigoil on February 27, 2023, 02:58:36 PMBen is not in this for the money, that may seem like it but a) have you ever gone to a karate class, having property you use for only a few hours a day, is not really ideal and b) he and all their coaches travel with teams, likely out of their own pockets.

Is it a bad thing if he is in it for the money?  Do we have something against turning a profit on a good product?
Why do we feel it is wrong to make our sport profitable?

Vir Fortis

Quote from: ckwrestler on February 28, 2023, 06:24:46 AM
Quote from: NEW_Wrestling on February 27, 2023, 08:55:54 PM

Is it a bad thing if he is in it for the money?  Do we have something against turning a profit on a good product?
Why do we feel it is wrong to make our sport profitable?

Of course not. You should make a profit. I may not present it as altruistic then, but...either way.