Upgrades

Started by benaskren, February 26, 2023, 07:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benaskren

The WIAA State tournament is a great product.  Only a few updates I would make.

- All 6 minute matches. 1 minute first periods are non sense.

- Full wrestlebacks.  We dont start until 3pm on Thursday!!! Start at 1 and it could be done easily.  It is only 4 more matches per brackets.

- Seeding is close but also needs to be fixed so head to head is significantly more important than previous season results, a lot can change in a year.

Good job WIAA
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

beswres00

A couple upgrades I would love to see happen..I know these have been brought up before.

1. Changes the out of bounds to college format (space permitting). To many close calls or judgment calls at state this year.

2. Equalize the divisions. Have 16 kids from d2 and d3 to state. Full wrestle back like Ben said.

Scramble_king

Quote from: beswres00 on February 26, 2023, 07:56:44 PMA couple upgrades I would love to see happen..I know these have been brought up before.

1. Changes the out of bounds to college format (space permitting). To many close calls or judgment calls at state this year.

2. Equalize the divisions. Have 16 kids from d2 and d3 to state. Full wrestle back like Ben said.

16 in a division and 8 teams across all divisions. Of course this would come with equal teams in each division. Either way, seems like an easy fix.

pitman

Why are they still using "towel boys"?
now you're messin' with a S.O.B.

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Scramble_king on February 26, 2023, 08:06:50 PM
Quote from: beswres00 on February 26, 2023, 07:56:44 PMA couple upgrades I would love to see happen..I know these have been brought up before.

16 in a division and 8 teams across all divisions. Of course this would come with equal teams in each division. Either way, seems like an easy fix.
I believe half of the kids are in D1 and then D2 and D3 are split up into two other groups. I believe that's how they came up with the 16/8/8 initially. Then went to 16/12/12.

That's fine.

The Wrestling on the edge is going to be harder to get done. The Mats are smaller and set up too close to the edge of the mats. The Cheerleaders, those taping the matches, etc...etc...

beswres00

Quote from: pitman on February 27, 2023, 01:33:13 AMWhy are they still using "towel boys"?
thought of this idea years ago but seen it in a few tournaments this year. The refs wore a bracelet that's went off when the clock did. I figure it must be blue tooth related but this takes the judgment and towel boy out of the equation.

neutral

Quote from: beswres00 on February 27, 2023, 01:45:56 AM
Quote from: pitman on February 27, 2023, 01:33:13 AMWhy are they still using "towel boys"?
thought of this idea years ago but seen it in a few tournaments this year. The refs wore a bracelet that's went off when the clock did. I figure it must be blue tooth related but this takes the judgment and towel boy out of the equation.

yah - because nothing ever goes wrong with blue tooth
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

beswres00

I love negativity on these post. I said blue tooth related. If any one or ref knows what tech they used for the wristband please share thoughts and opinions👍

ClipperRedDevilHornetRedBird

I would move the girl's mats to where D1 has historically been, and slide D1 to where the girls where this year...

fryguy518

Quote from: beswres00 on February 27, 2023, 01:45:56 AM
In one of our kids matches, the bracelet went off and the clock still had 15 second left in the first period and our kid was super close to getting the pin.  Ended up not mattering as he went on to get the win. 

NEW_Wrestling

Ben,

The best upgrade would be for you to go to another state and embarrass them. You are the worst thing to happen to Wisconsin Wrestling ever.

As soon as more wrestlers get to know Nazar you will go under.

I am also waiting for the WIAA to investigate your scholarship offerings to the better wrestlers in the state.

But I guess if you like to cheat the system Askren is your choice.

PS:

Don't try to monopolies high school wrestling.

Chuck

Quote from: RedBuzz on February 27, 2023, 09:40:39 AMI would move the girl's mats to where D1 has historically been, and slide D1 to where the girls where this year...
With WIAA only allowing schools to purchase tickets in areas of their division girls need to stay towards the center as they are from all 3.

CoachZ

We also need to random draw the starting weight for the finals. The heavier weights should have the opportunity to wrestle in front of a full Kohl Center.

BPfan

I think the biggest upgrade that is needed is for Ben Askren to Grow his hair out again.  I listened to his book, and I feel like we are getting the old Ben back.  First grow out your hair, Then I want some of your AWA merchandise to have the same style as the shirts you use to sell.  Putting the Chin in China and Curly headed     ;D  ;D  ;D

Whizzersoldman

I thought it went well. Maybe the criteria for seating freshman could be adjusted some. Also keep outside sources from interfering on what weight kids wrestle at. This is between the W.I.A.A., coaches, parents and the kids.