Koy Hopke

Started by JMBaker, February 26, 2023, 06:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMBaker

I haven't been paying very close attention to WI HS wrestling the past couple of years.  But I have to ask, Has WI ever had a more dominant HS wrestler then Koy Hopke?  Looking back at his season on Track Wrestling and it looks like he pinned everyone he faced in the 1st period except for 1 that made it into the 2nd.  I mean, has anyone in any state been as dominant as him?  He won Worlds last summer, and it doesn't look like any at Worlds gave him a match.

DocWrestling

Rocky Biegel in maybe 1987 I believe only went to second period once his entire season on way to state title.  Pretty crazy to have one wrestler that much better than EVERYONE else.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

benaskren

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

Army Ant

Yah Rocky was the only guy that i remembered being possibly close to that dominating. I don't recall for sure though. I also think he may have been ranked #1 in nation.

I think he was also about 220 but the 2nd heaviest class was 185 at that time.

Also took 2nd in state in 110 hurdles and broke school record.

Decided to play football at BYU and was an All American linebacker. I heard the NFL teams loved his talent but he had too many permanent injuries by the time he graduated.

1Iota

Here is what I loved, when asked about his season after the match, he looked at the data and calculated that his average match lasted 40 seconds. It was like listening to this stud wrestler who could be a character on the Big Bang Theory.  Great combination of skills and brains. 

Numbers

Quote from: 1Iota on February 26, 2023, 09:18:52 PMHere is what I loved, when asked about his season after the match, he looked at the data and calculated that his average match lasted 40 seconds. It was like listening to this stud wrestler who could be a character on the Big Bang Theory.  Great combination of skills and brains. 

So is the goal 35 seconds a match next year?

He could watch every match of his Junior year in one study hall.

The Last Ride

Is there any info on where Koy will wrestle in college ?
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

Vir Fortis

Quote from: The Last Ride on February 26, 2023, 10:16:07 PMIs there any info on where Koy will wrestle in college ?

There would be a couple dozen threads on here about what to expect from Koy Hopke and rejoicing from Badgers fans if there was word he was going to Wisconsin.

There'd be even more comments about Bono if he was going somewhere else. It'd be big news.

UW is in his final 3. He should be THEE priority at this point.

As for the question...I'd throw Garrett Lowney into that mix. Eric Swick.

Lowney won 6 Jr Fargo titles IIRC?
Swick won Espoir World Championships(please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, these guys were before my time).

And Rocky Biegel. Never saw him Wrestle, but his reputation speaks for itself.

The thing about Hopke...and I haven't seen him Wrestle in person many times, but you watch video and each year he looks so much bigger, so much stronger, so much more physical...and he doesn't look like he's come close to filling out. He looks like he could put 30 pounds on his frame VERY easily and comfortably just from maturing the next 2-3 years.

There aren't many limits on what he could accomplish in College. Hopefully, Minnesota invested a lot in Nelson and they believe he's going to be their HWT in the future.

He could very easily go down as the best Wrestler in Wisconsin History(both prep and hopefully UW history).

Oh, Dennis Hal and Thielke were pretty good as well.

Houndhead

How many matches has he lost in High School?

bigoil

Houndhead

Quote from: Army Ant on February 26, 2023, 07:35:20 PMYah Rocky was the only guy that i remembered being possibly close to that dominating. I don't recall for sure though. I also think he may have been ranked #1 in nation.

I think he was also about 220 but the 2nd heaviest class was 185 at that time.

Also took 2nd in state in 110 hurdles and broke school record.

Decided to play football at BYU and was an All American linebacker. I heard the NFL teams loved his talent but he had too many permanent injuries by the time he graduated.

Couple things here. Rocky was 2nd team All-conference at BYU. Not an All-American. But he was one heck of a football player. I know many things have changed since Rocky was in high school, but Koy Hopke is much, much more accomplished as a wrestler. Rocky won state his junior and senior year. Hopke has won every year.

harley25

Hopke wins State as a undefeated freshman at 220 pounds in his only State match that he hasn't Pinned his opponent.

He is 9-0 at State with 8 pins and 1 decision. 6 of his 8 pins have come in the 1st period the other 2 pins were in the second period. I am not sure what more of domination you could be looking for.

I wish the best of luck to him in whatever school he decided to attend, should be fun to watch the rest of his career play out.

I hear he is a pretty good football player as well :)

harley25

Quote from: 1Iota on February 26, 2023, 09:18:52 PMHere is what I loved, when asked about his season after the match, he looked at the data and calculated that his average match lasted 40 seconds. It was like listening to this stud wrestler who could be a character on the Big Bang Theory.  Great combination of skills and brains. 

And his average state match lasted a little over 25 seconds, that may be tough to improve on :)