1 minute 1st periods in consolation matches

Started by neutral, February 26, 2023, 11:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

I really don't like it.

It saves, at most, 14 minutes per round ... and totally changes the nature of the matches.

I think it should be 2-2-2 - but if, for some reason, they feel the need to shorten the rounds ... why not do 1:45-1:45-1:45 (saves 10.5 minutes) or 1:40-1:40-1:40 (saves the same 14 minutes).

Why ding one position?
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Army Ant

neutral

okay - but why does that have to be the rule?

CLC FAN

Quote from: neutral on February 26, 2023, 11:29:37 AMIt saves, at most, 14 minutes per round

... while that's assuming one consolation match per mat per weight... which isn't accurate always... it's also possible that 2-2-2 would take the exact same amount of time or less if the rate of overtime matches is higher and/or the rate of pins is lower amongst 1-2-2 matches compared to full-length matches

MatScoutWillie

Another example of the incompetence of WI wrestling. Coaches must DEMAND it be changed. Same Dang thing with the single elimination.

Army Ant

There aren't that many pins at that level so I'm pretty sure 1-2-2 still takes less time.

DocWrestling

I would like to see coaches across the country fight for change with NFHS and make every varsity match the entire season 2-2-2.  I would love to know why someone ever thought a 1 minute first period was needed.  Is it only to get out of the gym faster?
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Army Ant

Its just optional. I doubt there's much interest in forcing every tournament nationwide to have 2-2-2 consolation matches.

I think 2-2-2 for WI state tourney sounds good. I'm sure the decision comes down to time and money. Kohl Center is relatively empty during those consolation rounds.

neutral

I doubt that what's happening at the Kohl Center has anything to do with it.

Probably just a Federation rule that should be subject to change.

I don't care about in-season, stand-alone tournaments - but in state and national tournaments, wrestlers advancing that far have a right to wrestle matches with the strategies and stamina they always have.