In Arena Announcer

Started by benaskren, February 24, 2023, 09:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman

Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 27, 2023, 08:21:38 PM
Quote from: dman on February 27, 2023, 01:28:11 PM
Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 27, 2023, 11:10:42 AM
Quote from: Coach V on February 27, 2023, 11:03:28 AMHe was struggling-" winner on mat 2- Wyatt Duchamabateau" :) and then he said-" correction, winner on Mat 2- Wayne Duchateau" :) Got it wrong both times. I announce football games, and some are not easy. As coaches we usually go tell them, but they have to remember also. Not an easy gig but has a great voice for it.

Not everyone is like the couple that did the D1s, Fargo and every large tournament for years. They were impeccable. Nailed just about every name, did a great job alerting you to big matches. They were like the Michael Buffer of announcing Wrestling results. Always perfect.

The women still does it, but I think the guy she used to do it with is no longer involved. I thought he may have passed, but I shouldn't throw that out there without being positive.

Everyone knows their voices, but I don't recall the names.

She was/is aweseome!  I think her name is Sandy??

Yes, that's it. Sandy Stevens. Ed Aliverti was the guy who used to do it with her. He did pass away back in 2010.

They both great and ran the tournaments seamlessly. Her voice really stood out though. I don't think she does the D1s anymore, does she? I'm trying to go back, I think I've heard here doing other tournaments, but I could be wrong.

Yes...that is it.  Thanks!  I am not sure what tournaments she is doing now but have heard here multiple times at Fargo and World Team Trials.  I loved it when she would get testy with people too...like "Sit down next to the mat!!" etc.  LOL

Fabulous Falcons

I believe most people put forth their best effort. That said there's always positive ways to make improvements.

For Example:

1) Jim Quicker a retired 40-year English instructor from Lakeshore Technical College (Cleveland, WI) said he never mispronounced anyone's name wrong at graduation. I was watching and the names he thought he might struggle to pronounced he asked the student before announcing their names.

2) In the 80s I took my nephews' to wrestling tournaments and looking at a wall chart I noticed the last name spelling was wrong. I said, Joel they spelled your last name wrong. He said, "no I'm using phonetic spelling."

Tournaments are tough . . . I never took mispronunciations of my last name personal. . .I just laughed.

Now dual meets are different. . .my suggestion is find a kid from the opposing school to sit next to your announcer and ask for correct pronunciation of names.
Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

ChargerDad

There was a call out to coaches of athletes with difficult to pronounce names at least 2 times.

I was sitting 3 rows directly behind the head table, pretty sure it was a pair of announcers that sounded almost identical, and they were pulling the matche results off of track.  At times they were announcing matches from the previous day for sure, which was super confusing.

I don't know what it sounded like in other places in the arena, but for me the worst thing was the audio quality of the music the DJ was playing.  Was over driving the bass BAD.  I'm sure it sounded great to him with his headphones on, but it sounded awful at least from where I was sitting.  Maybe it was just the acoustics of the building specific to where I sat and it sounded fine elsewhere.  Then the music would cut in while an announcer was speaking, making it hard to hear and a couple times visibly shaking the composure of the announcer.  Perhaps he was remotely controlling the music, or there was some automation that was supposed to control when the music kicked in and out that wasn't working as it should have been.

SayHey42

Quote from: ChargerDad on March 03, 2023, 10:59:14 AMThere was a call out to coaches of athletes with difficult to pronounce names at least 2 times.

I was sitting 3 rows directly behind the head table, pretty sure it was a pair of announcers that sounded almost identical, and they were pulling the matche results off of track.  At times they were announcing matches from the previous day for sure, which was super confusing.

I don't know what it sounded like in other places in the arena, but for me the worst thing was the audio quality of the music the DJ was playing.  Was over driving the bass BAD.  I'm sure it sounded great to him with his headphones on, but it sounded awful at least from where I was sitting.  Maybe it was just the acoustics of the building specific to where I sat and it sounded fine elsewhere.  Then the music would cut in while an announcer was speaking, making it hard to hear and a couple times visibly shaking the composure of the announcer.  Perhaps he was remotely controlling the music, or there was some automation that was supposed to control when the music kicked in and out that wasn't working as it should have been.

The DJ was worse than the announcing. He was sitting in front of a table in front of D2 mats, bobbing his head as if he was Marshmallow rocking the crowd. His favorite thing was hitting the techno air horn thing in whenever he could. I didn't think it was possible to ruin eye of the tiger, but he managed to do so. Not to mention the 20 seconds of pure bass as the 106's started their matches.

I run game day audio on Friday nights at Menasha. Rizzo does the announcing. Before each game we get who are your play makers as well as pronunciation of players. I'd put us up with anyone in the state. Touchdown Bluejays! as Chelsea Dagger rocks Calder Stadium. Put me in, coach.

And of all the names the announcer butchered, how does he not know how to pronounce Whiting?

Vir Fortis

Quote from: SayHey42 on March 03, 2023, 09:34:36 PM
Quote from: ChargerDad on March 03, 2023, 10:59:14 AMThere was a call out to coaches of athletes with difficult to pronounce names at least 2 times.

The DJ was worse than the announcing. He was sitting in front of a table in front of D2 mats, bobbing his head as if he was Marshmallow rocking the crowd. His favorite thing was hitting the techno air horn thing in whenever he could. I didn't think it was possible to ruin eye of the tiger, but he managed to do so. Not to mention the 20 seconds of pure bass as the 106's started their matches.

I run game day audio on Friday nights at Menasha. Rizzo does the announcing. Before each game we get who are your play makers as well as pronunciation of players. I'd put us up with anyone in the state. Touchdown Bluejays! as Chelsea Dagger rocks Calder Stadium. Put me in, coach.

And of all the names the announcer butchered, how does he not know how to pronounce Whiting?

I don't know, I guess it could be "white-ing," or "whit-ing."

I assume it's "white-ing." Is that correct? I'm not even sure how Clayton Whiting's name was pronounced now that I've said it a few times...but I'm pretty sure it was "white-ing."

Big Steve

Quote from: SayHey42 on March 03, 2023, 09:34:36 PM

I completely disagree about the dj, I thought it was a great addition and would have liked even more. Especially later in the the round when some of the beginning juice was lost. Possibly a quick intermission with some wrestler interviews/back ground or stories on the big screen sandwiched with the dj playing some hype music. Would love to know some of the history as told by the individual wrestler. These could be recorded earlier in the day or something.
A few years back I believe a Sun Prairie wrestler told a story about losing his shoes or something and his mom had to get him new ones. I find that great, so much in these kids lives. Ask about other sports or what club they attend or if they even do.