In Arena Announcer

Started by benaskren, February 24, 2023, 09:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benaskren

He is terrible, can't get anyones name right.  Where did they find this guy???

Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

statman

Ben you are the best at everything according to you (you argued you are successful at everything you do) why don't you do it?
they don't call me statman for nothin

benaskren

Ha ha ha well I am a busy man. so I dont know if it is possible, but I am certain I could do way better :)
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

No One Cares

"Winner on mat 6 from Sun Prairie,
Sofa Slaknawja."

He was so close to nailing it......her actual name......Bopa Quintana.

statman

Quote from: benaskren on February 24, 2023, 10:17:54 PMHa ha ha well I am a busy man. so I dont know if it is possible, but I am certain I could do way better :)

In all fairness I agree he isn't doing a good job n but I can't say anything because I'm not willing to take on the role
they don't call me statman for nothin

fryguy518

Quote from: benaskren on February 24, 2023, 09:59:45 PMHe is terrible, can't get anyones name right.  Where did they find this guy???

JERK

Paul Ellenbecker

I miss the overtime on mat 6 or whatever mat overtime is on alerts. Ben is right. They have to upgrade. I'm sure its a nice guy but this is the state tournament.

Cheap-Tilt

Good voice, poor execution. But I can't imagine its an easy job for anyone. Lots of names there is no chance I can pronounce. The Overtime on X mat missing is a huge gaff. Also, the mat assignments on the jumbotron for who is on deck and in the hole is a huge miss this year too.

SmprRah41

Last night during the semi's, the announcer(s) were calling results of matches before they even wrestled.  An example I recall was he called Empey (HWT) as a winner when he was still on deck.  The only explanation I can think of was the announcer was calling the quarterfinals result.  I don't remember the score he said, and I wasn't there Thursday.  Did anyone else catch this?  Was he announcing the quarterfinal results or was he just that far off?

bigoil

I believe it is the responsibility of the coaches to get proper pronunciation to the announcers. Don't throw stones...

neutral

I'm not there this year - but am streaming ... and the announcer sounds like the same guy who's been doing it for years. 

Also - Shane Sparks commented that it seems like things are moving much faster than in the past ... and he's having some difficulties as well - so maybe that's making it more difficult for the in-house announcer as well.

Chill out, Ben.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

PAUL

Pretty cheap criticism in my opinion.  If it's the same guy who has done it in the past then maybe something in the procedure or equipment or whatever has changed, as I thought he was excellent.  If he is a new guy then those are darn big shoes to fill - so give him a couple of years.  All that being said, I'd prefer to be there hearing him for myself than in my kitchen typing about it....  Enjoy the ride, it's a great atmosphere and a great day!!

SayHey42

Awful and shouldn't be doing the announcing. Not cheap criticism, but 100% fair criticism. This is the biggest tourney of the year, find someone who can do the job.

crossface21

Aren't there usually 2 announcers? One for announcing who's coming up and one for announcing results?

Also, with 8 mats this year, I'm sure it's just a bit more busy at the announcers table. Not an excuse to get the names wrong, however. The announcer should be looking over all the names and any that he isn't sure on, he should at least be calling up the coach to ask. That's what happened to us in the past.

Handles II

Quote from: SayHey42 on February 25, 2023, 12:36:46 PMAwful and shouldn't be doing the announcing. Not cheap criticism, but 100% fair criticism. This is the biggest tourney of the year, find someone who can do the job.

Exactly how do you know in advance who can do it without any errors, be they electronic, pronunciation, errors by the mat scorers?
It was announced that head coaches report any pronunciation of difficult names prior to the start of the tournament. I didn't see a flood of coaches going to the announcement table.
Pronunciation is wrong at State events in every sport.
My suggestion is that the person who started the thread and anyone else who says a new person should do it needs to step up and do the job as well as they say it needs to be done.