2023 State; Coaches perspective, what's good what should be changed?

Started by Handles II, February 24, 2023, 07:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handles II

Pretty cool weekend overall. 8 mats all of us knew was easy to do since 1998. Girls State really seemed to bring a spark to the sport, fans and coaches I spoke with were very in favor.

Double elimination is still missing after 20 years or more of needing it.

1-2-2 is still a JV move. This is varsity. No other sport shortens the playing time at State.

Mass confusion and limited directions for D2/D3 weigh in procedure.

Girls weighing in at the same time as D1 basically required most D2/D3 to be there at that weigh in time. Ie more crowded and parking lot issues. A different situation should happen.

crossface21

Quote from: Handles II on February 24, 2023, 07:17:32 PMPretty cool weekend overall. 8 mats all of us knew was easy to do since 1998. Girls State really seemed to bring a spark to the sport, fans and coaches I spoke with were very in favor.

Double elimination is still missing after 20 years or more of needing it.

1-2-2 is still a JV move. This is varsity. No other sport shortens the playing time at State.

Mass confusion and limited directions for D2/D3 weigh in procedure.

Girls weighing in at the same time as D1 basically required most D2/D3 to be there at that weigh in time. Ie more crowded and parking lot issues. A different situation should happen.

Double elimination still missing after more than 30 years. This is something that should be fixed. A kid works that hard to get there should not be 1 and done. This has been on the list of things to be fixed for a while I believe, don't know why we can't get there. Hopefully with the positive changes happening in the last few years it'll happen soon.

1-2-2. Yes, a JV move for sure. My main issue is that if Regionals and Sectionals are 2-2-2 for all matches, this should be as well. It's all one big tournament. Basically changing the structure of the tournament in in the middle of it.

Not sure what you can do about D2/D3 girls weighing in at the same time as D1. They are all in 1 bracket and they start at the same as D1. Don't know how you'd fix that.

I understand that the 1-2-2 and the double elimination might be time contraint issues. But if it can be fixed, it should be. We'd definitley be moving in the right direction and these are positive impacts for the tournament. We already have the best State Tournament in the country, these would only enhance it.