Covid hand raise

Started by Scramble_king, February 23, 2023, 09:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dman

Quote from: Army Ant on February 26, 2023, 08:15:56 PMNot fixing anything. We're already doing it since covid. Even during regular season, about half of officials decided to do this. I never heard any of the kids complain. I like it for the reasons stated. Plenty agree with me. I think it's better for officials and wrestlers so no need to go back to the old way and require officials to grab wrists.

I'd like to see what the kids actually  think. Even if it's close to 50/50, best to just err on the side of less contact. If most kids (including girls) clearly want their hand raised, we'll then I'd be fine with that too but I don't think that's the case.

It was stupid during covid, as it did absolutely nothing, and it is stupid now. 

Funny how some people involved in a contact sport are all of a sudden scared of a little contact like raising the winners hand...can't make this stuff up.

Dizzy

So let's come up with another reason to alienate officials. If an official doesn't feel comfortable making contact with a wrestler, whether it be covid related, female contact, whatever their reason, we should tell them "too bad, either raise their hand or get out."  Why is it a reason to get worked up about??
I would rather keep it as is than have even more officials dropping out when there is already a major shortage.
If an official feels uncomfortable doing it and doesn't want to take a perceived risk, than why make them?

badgerstateref

Most refs I know raised hands all season, as we were told that it was optional. Refs were told no hand raising for the state tournament. Yes, it looks awkward and unnatural, especially in photos. The raising of the champions hand is a part of the sport's heritage, and it's too bad this tradition may now be gone for good. Many of us are deeply disappointed by this, especially for state tournament competition. The iconic photos of state champions getting their hand raised are likely a thing of the past. I would prefer it continue to be optional, but it doesn't sound like that will be the case. We'll see if the NFHS addresses it with a rule change.

dman

Quote from: Dizzy on February 27, 2023, 10:13:31 AMSo let's come up with another reason to alienate officials. If an official doesn't feel comfortable making contact with a wrestler, whether it be covid related, female contact, whatever their reason, we should tell them "too bad, either raise their hand or get out."  Why is it a reason to get worked up about??
I would rather keep it as is than have even more officials dropping out when there is already a major shortage.
If an official feels uncomfortable doing it and doesn't want to take a perceived risk, than why make them?

Official's are quitting because they have to touch someone's wrist??  Good grief...how did you even come up with that in your head??   ::)

Dizzy

Good grief!
Well, I officiate and coach and know quite a few officials. Two for sure have told me that they had some very bad experiences with covid and don't feel comfortable making contact in any situation, wrestling or others, if they don't have to.
If they had to go back to the old way they would just retire from officiating after 20 plus years each.
There are several teachers at the school I work at that still wear a mask everyday even though there is no protocal for it. They would object strongly if they were told not to wear a mask, probably the same goes with making contact with students if they don't have to.
So yes, there are officials that would quit. There reasons are their own and without being in their shoes I would not say they are wrong

Army Ant

I also officiate, and I obviously wrestled. For one, I NEVER cared about the official grabbing my wrist after I won. I just cared whether I won or not. I guess it makes for a better photo for the fans/parents. That's the only upside I see. As an official, I simply prefer to not be touching the wrestlers all day unless I have to. If we had to go back to the old way, I'd have no big issue with that either though. Just my preference and if the WIAA gives me the option I'm not touching them.