Covid hand raise

Started by Scramble_king, February 23, 2023, 09:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scramble_king

Why did the WIAA go back to the non-contact hand raise? They didn't do this all season for us. Has it been the norm for Dane county area?

crossface21

I've seen at various times this season. I think it's usually the refs choice. The WIAA may have said what they want to make everything uniform before the tournament?

Steve Heinzl

The refs at sectionals said they were told to do it.  Before that some refs did it and some didn't

145Firemanscarry

In my viewing of wrestling this year, I've only seen this style of ref/wrestler hand raise.

Scramble_king

Quote from: 145Firemanscarry on February 24, 2023, 05:15:38 AMIn my viewing of wrestling this year, I've only seen this style of ref/wrestler hand raise.

Interesting. It must be different across the state.

It wasn't that way last year. I'm glade the greater power reconsidered how we can all do our part to stop the spread of covid 19. 🤪

Army Ant

I think it's a good idea anyway (regardless of covid), especially with the increasing # of girls. Best to not have officials touching athletes if it isn't needed. Physical contact is avoided in other sports too.

Ghetto

I hate it. Bring back raising kids hands.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

The Last Ride

Quote from: Ghetto on February 25, 2023, 06:15:12 PMI hate it. Bring back raising kids hands.
Could not agree more with this . It is rediculous . ::)
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

Scramble_king

I thought it took away from the 4xers. I always have thought the ref walking them around the circle was a great scene.

neutral

... especially since most of them shake hands with the refs before the matches anyway
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

imnofish

Quote from: Army Ant on February 25, 2023, 04:55:40 PMI think it's a good idea anyway (regardless of covid), especially with the increasing # of girls. Best to not have officials touching athletes if it isn't needed. Physical contact is avoided in other sports too.

Are you actually implying that refs will inappropriately touch girls, in front of thousands of viewers (in person, online, and on television)?  I really don't think anyone is stupid enough to do that.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Army Ant

Quote from: imnofish on February 26, 2023, 02:37:27 PM
Quote from: Army Ant on February 25, 2023, 04:55:40 PMI think it's a good idea anyway (regardless of covid), especially with the increasing # of girls. Best to not have officials touching athletes if it isn't needed. Physical contact is avoided in other sports too.

Are you actually implying that refs will inappropriately touch girls, in front of thousands of viewers (in person, online, and on television)?  I really don't think anyone is stupid enough to do that.

No. Not blatantly but more likely something innocent gets misconstrued or maybe some kids get creeped out for no obvious reason whatsoever. Also, do refs want to be grabbing 60 sweaty kids throughout day? I don't see a big problem w grabbing the hand but I just don't think it's worth it for refs or the wrestlers. Downside outweighs upside imo.

MatScoutWillie

Terrible take

Scramble_king

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on February 26, 2023, 05:43:32 PM

Terrible take
m
Yep. Looking to fix something that's not a problem

Army Ant

Not fixing anything. We're already doing it since covid. Even during regular season, about half of officials decided to do this. I never heard any of the kids complain. I like it for the reasons stated. Plenty agree with me. I think it's better for officials and wrestlers so no need to go back to the old way and require officials to grab wrists.

I'd like to see what the kids actually  think. Even if it's close to 50/50, best to just err on the side of less contact. If most kids (including girls) clearly want their hand raised, we'll then I'd be fine with that too but I don't think that's the case.