Badgers under Bono

Started by Hungus, February 11, 2023, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Quote from: 1Iota on February 24, 2023, 09:41:58 AMHere is my question, and I am not trying to create controversy.  This is a real question that I don't have the answer to.  Other than O'tool, who are the D-1 studs that AWA has produced that UW is missing out on?  I know Mocco has had a very good run at Missouri as well, but I can't think of anyone else. 

The other one would be Keckeisen. I think the rest would be the highly regarded/ranked athletes who have gone or have committed to go elsewhere but are not wrestling in the lineup or on campus yet. Whiting, the Mirasola brothers, Clark, Sinclair, Scoles, Millard etc... All indications are they will be very good college wrestlers but we truly will not know for a few years. 

1Iota

Quote from: vsmf2010 on February 24, 2023, 10:07:54 AM
Quote from: 1Iota on February 24, 2023, 09:41:58 AMHere is my question, and I am not trying to create controversy.  This is a real question that I don't have the answer to.  Other than O'tool, who are the D-1 studs that AWA has produced that UW is missing out on?  I know Mocco has had a very good run at Missouri as well, but I can't think of anyone else. 

The other one would be Keckeisen. I think the rest would be the highly regarded/ranked athletes who have gone or have committed to go elsewhere but are not wrestling in the lineup or on campus yet. Whiting, the Mirasola brothers, Clark, Sinclair, Scoles, Millard etc... All indications are they will be very good college wrestlers but we truly will not know for a few years. 

Thank you

SP

Parker Keckheisn
Payton Mocco
Just lost both Mirasola boys
Clayton Whiting
Blaine Brenner
Aiden Sinclair
Ethan Riddle

I am sure I missed a few but that is a pretty nice list.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

1Iota

Quote from: SP on February 24, 2023, 01:17:18 PMParker Keckheisn
Payton Mocco
Clayton Whiting
Blaine Brenner
Aiden Sinclair
Ethan Riddle

Kreckeisen & Mocco would defintitely have been nice additions.  We don't know about the rest yet. 

Vir Fortis

Quote from: 1Iota on February 24, 2023, 01:23:15 PM
Payton Mocco
Clayton Whiting
Blaine Brenner
Aiden Sinclair
Ethan Riddle

Kreckeisen & Mocco would defintitely have been nice additions.  We don't know about the rest yet. 

Messenbrink? I know about him. If he Wrestles 4 years, he's gonna be an AA multiple times and it wouldn't shock me to see him end up on a podium. keckeisen has 3 years left, has as good of a chance to win it as anyone on this current team and would also be the most accomplished. That one stings(at a weight we've been...a bit up and down at).
Sinclair is close to a lock to be a VERY good '74. As much as one can be at this point in time.

Millard is an a stud. There are a LOT more than on this list.

Riddle is one of the kids who I think is a little under the radar who I think will have an outstanding College career if he's dedicated and all in on the Wrestling. And you should add that qualifier for every Wrestler.

We've seen the top ranked Wrestlers end up doing very little in College. You're starting from the bottom after spending your whole life on top. You're going to go through a lot of self doubt. I remember a story about Ben himself sitting down after a practice as a True Freshmen and getting emotional because he was getting scored on(maybe it was Woodley or Lewis...I can't recall). But he was getting manhandled because they were much more explosive. He overcame that self doubt.

On the flip side, there are lower ranked recruits who go out and have extraordinary careers. Guys who never won a State Title who win National Titles.

But I'd venture a guess that there will be quite a few All-Americans and a few National Champions from the current Jrs and Srs at AWA(as well as those who are already on campus and haven't yet competed for their respective  College teams(particularly Messenbrink who...I believe beat Haines fairly recently).

littleguy301

Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 24, 2023, 12:54:01 AM
Quote from: leg turk on February 23, 2023, 11:58:30 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 23, 2023, 11:21:38 AMI hear through the grapevine, Bono and team had in a bunch of northwest wrestlers to watch wrestling and meet and greet! That is totally awesome. Let's shut the borders off and make the kids at least take a look at wisconsin before leaving the state!

This makes me very happy to see!

Build a wall😁

LOL...that ain't gonna work. Someone's gonna cut a hole in it and push certain kids out.

But he doesn't need a wall. He's shown he can go and get big time recruits from out of State(particularly Cali). And if he just gets a couple top in-state Wrestlers(Hopke is the Hope Jewel) and then keep pulling in a couple of studs from out of State, I think it could lessen some influence and build on itself.

The "if you're happy with 1-7...." nonsense is just that. First of all, that's never made sense to me. As though the final comes down to what the person who WON'T accept 1-7 in the B1G says or thinks?

Second, we know it's a bogus number. The B1G is too competitive to take out a kid like Gomez. It's a 6-12 point swing when there are razor thin margins.

I'd take Iowa out of it and say they probably should have been 6-2, won the Midlands(this wasn't the first year of the Soldier Salute either).

They beat Cornell. That's an elite team. So it's not just a totally random guess that they'd have won the 1 point matches with the #2 149 in the Country.

Littleguy seems to have the most reasonable, unbiased takes. Seems to want the Badgers to succeed, but can point out where they're coming up short without taking some joy in it.

Bottom line, unless the Badgers HC is handpicked by someone in the State and bends the knee, kisses the ring, he's gonna miss out on most of his in-state talent. Is there another B1G school dealing with the same issues? Despite that,  I'd still say the program is better under Bono, but this is a abnormally difficult job.

Not saying land everyone in wisconsin. Just saying I hope every kid that leaves wisconsin to wrestle at least had some contact with the wisconsin staff. Is that to much to ask?

I know transfers, out of state kids are needed to build a top program. But to build depth we need some of these kids to stick around and stay home.

Ben has done a great job as has all the clubs in wisconsin in developing some great kids! With out trying to all these club coaches kind of do have a say in wisconsin wrestling by their time and effort and their results. Most likely they were here before Bono and more than likely after Bono.

Bono, your the top dog in wiscosin wrestling, you have the reins, now let's get it done  ;D !
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

SP

Anti-Inclusion Mafia

leg turk

It's not always about talent. Some kids don't have the grades to get into Madison.

wittness

Vir Fortis

Quote from: leg turk on February 25, 2023, 08:15:23 PMIt's not always about talent. Some kids don't have the grades to get into Madison.

This is true, but it's not worth speculating about if we don't know...and frankly, if we do, this isn't the best place to put it.

And the larger issue is there are kids who just simply won't take UWs calls.

But Miguel Estrada just won in the State Finals over the 10th ranked kid with the #1 ranked Wrestler in the bracket(after having the 3 top ranked kids all at 145 in California for a stretch this year before two went back up to 152).

And Estrada wins it again for the 2nd straight year. Estrada with a pin in the Finals over the kid who beat Parco(#1 nationally) before a tough SV win over fellow future Badger Root.

And Condon dominated his way through the toughest State Tournament in the Country(by virtue of the 1 division, not to suggest it's quite on the level of Penn or Ohio). Exceptional showing by future Badgers in California.

neutral

Quote from: wrestlemania on February 11, 2023, 11:30:20 PM"Maybe he can get lucky and pillage the transfer portal this offseason."

He'll have to since you seem to discourage your club's top wrestlers from even considering attending Wisconsin.

And quite frankly Mr. Askren, what do you care? Your not a UW alumn. It's no skin off your nose what happens in Madison. So is it too much to ask you leave UW wrestling in peace and stop this ugly dispute even if you do hate the school and anything it seems connected to it? It benefits no one and simply divides fans in this state. For once just consider that silence sometimes is indeed gold.   

... now THAT'S funny!!!
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

crossface21

Quote from: 1Iota on February 24, 2023, 01:23:15 PM
Payton Mocco
Clayton Whiting
Blaine Brenner
Aiden Sinclair
Ethan Riddle

From what I understand, Davis wasn't really in on Keckeisen. When Bono got hired, he tried to get him but by then it was too late.

Ghetto

I am a huge Parker fan, and am looking forward to his success at NCAAs again this year. That said, he was on no one's radar nationally until he went bananas at Fargo. That might have been after his senior year, but I'm too lazy to go back and look.   

Mocco was, what, a 1x state champ? Another kid I loved watching, but his resume wasnt something that would predict his success at the next level.

Rather than misses, I'd call them steals for UNI and Missouri.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

buc65

Quote from: Ghetto on February 26, 2023, 07:41:37 PMI am a huge Parker fan, and am looking forward to his success at NCAAs again this year. That said, he was on no one's radar nationally until he went bananas at Fargo. That might have been after his senior year, but I'm too lazy to go back and look.   

Mocco was, what, a 1x state champ? Another kid I loved watching, but his resume wasnt something that would predict his success at the next level.

Rather than misses, I'd call them steals for UNI and Missouri.

Mocco was a 2x champ.  4th, Q, 1st, 1st

dad 2 5

Not looking good.

Bono needs to find most of the lineup in the Transfer Portal
Barnett (if he uses another year)
Rivera
Zargo
Medora
Anderson
Hamiti
Otto
Rowley
Amos
Empey

That is a scary weak lineup. Hope I am missing something.