Question Regarding Rankings

Started by 1Iota, February 09, 2023, 12:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Iota

With the rankings no longer provided without a paid subscription, I am wondering if the media is provided these rankings for free?  I ask as the Milwaukee Journal posted the rankings of area wrestlers for the first time today.  I have not seen the rankings at any other media site all year, and I was curious if this was just a editorial decision or if they simply don't have access. 

JacobRaschka

Quote from: 1Iota on February 09, 2023, 12:10:28 PMWith the rankings no longer provided without a paid subscription, I am wondering if the media is provided these rankings for free?  I ask as the Milwaukee Journal posted the rankings of area wrestlers for the first time today.  I have not seen the rankings at any other media site all year, and I was curious if this was just a editorial decision or if they simply don't have access. 
Ironically I can't see what rankings the journal sentinel used cause they have their articles behind a paywall.

imwi

Quote from: JacobRaschka on February 09, 2023, 02:37:23 PM
Quote from: 1Iota on February 09, 2023, 12:10:28 PMWith the rankings no longer provided without a paid subscription, I am wondering if the media is provided these rankings for free?  I ask as the Milwaukee Journal posted the rankings of area wrestlers for the first time today.  I have not seen the rankings at any other media site all year, and I was curious if this was just a editorial decision or if they simply don't have access. 
Ironically I can't see what rankings the journal sentinel used cause they have their articles behind a paywall.

Full disclosure, I don't pay for rokfin either, but that right there is darn right funny Jacob...the irony

1Iota

r

I'm not sure what rankings they use, and like Rokfin they have every right to charge for their work.  The problem is that it only hurts the sport if we receive less coverage.  We all must buy a ticket or pay a streaming service to watch a movie.  The media gets to view them for free because they want the coverage. 

Vir Fortis

Quote from: 1Iota on February 09, 2023, 05:45:05 PMr

I'm not sure what rankings they use, and like Rokfin they have every right to charge for their work.  The problem is that it only hurts the sport if we receive less coverage.  We all must buy a ticket or pay a streaming service to watch a movie.  The media gets to view them for free because they want the coverage. 

I get the MJS online for a buck a month I think. I think Flo and Rokfin are both great, but they're like 15 bucks a month, no?

That's a lot and I don't really know what they have on there. It's kinda blindly paying for a service that I'm not sure I really want.

rankwizard

I tell you what, we all loved Tom's rankings.... but times change and there is a monetary amount on the rankings now if you want to use rofkin instead of grappler... I'm fine with grappler but the Rofkin crew do deserve their money if they are charging and people are able to pay.

Change is difficult for alot of us, so I know for me personally I just haven't yet been ready to pay for a list of rankings when I can figure out where kids are at by doing a little track research myself.

Tomorrow is going to be a great day, I hope everyone is healthy and ready!

crossface21

Journal Sentinel used Wisconsin Grappler rankings.

wrastle63

LaValle

A big Thanks to Tom and any and all of his helpers over the years!  For many years Shane Sparks was bringing video content for us to enjoy, and I am grateful for the time he made that available.  Times have changed and now Jacob and Nate are leading their own charge.  You are getting more than just rankings through their content.  Entire access to the Rokfin platform, interviews, predictions, and live streams.  Everything a wrestling junkie could want.  Of course I like it when things are free too, but Jacob and Nate are making an investment into Wisconsin Wrestling at all levels.  Make your own choices, but I am going to support any and all of the ambassadors of our great sport, especially when they have Wisconsin ties and have a passion about wrestling within Wisconsin.
A goal without a plan is nothing more than a wish

1Iota

Quote from: rankwizard on February 10, 2023, 07:02:48 AMI tell you what, we all loved Tom's rankings.... but times change and there is a monetary amount on the rankings now if you want to use rofkin instead of grappler... I'm fine with grappler but the Rofkin crew do deserve their money if they are charging and people are able to pay.

Change is difficult for alot of us, so I know for me personally I just haven't yet been ready to pay for a list of rankings when I can figure out where kids are at by doing a little track research myself.

Tomorrow is going to be a great day, I hope everyone is healthy and ready!

I did not suggest that Rofkin should not charge for their service.  I understand they should be compensated for their work.  My suggestion was they provide the rankings to the media as it will increase coverage of the sport.   That is good for the sport and ultimately for them.  The media would then credit them for the rankings increasing their exposure.  This is marketing 101.

neutral

Seems to me that free rankings stimulates/enhances interest in wrestling and (Forum) discussion ... which, in turn, should increase participation in streaming.  Don't see why that's not seen as a marketing benefit.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

hornbuckleb

Quote from: neutral on February 10, 2023, 12:26:28 PMSeems to me that free rankings stimulates/enhances interest in wrestling and (Forum) discussion ... which, in turn, should increase participation in streaming.  Don't see why that's not seen as a marketing benefit.

Seems to me you should start a wrestling page on Rokfin and provide your own free rankings.

My Dad would always say eat what is in front of you or go hungry.  Your choice.

bigoil

His point is if it's on Rokfin, it's not in front of him to eat.

I have a Rokfin account and I'm able to go to the rankings page but I do not feel that rankings should be behind a pay wall. I pay because I love wrestling,I want to watch the badgers. Listen to MatScout Wille,, watch WIWrestle videos however, Johnny's grandma would probably love to see Johnny's ranking, but isn't going to spend the money to be in rokfin.

rankwizard

Quote from: bigoil on February 10, 2023, 02:52:28 PMHis point is if it's on Rokfin, it's not in front of him to eat.

I have a Rokfin account and I'm able to go to the rankings page but I do not feel that rankings should be behind a pay wall. I pay because I love wrestling,I want to watch the badgers. Listen to MatScout Wille,, watch WIWrestle videos however, Johnny's grandma would probably love to see Johnny's ranking, but isn't going to spend the money to be in rokfin.

Good point about Johnny's grandma.

That's why several people who have Rofkin, take pictures and share with their community members who are curious what's what but don't feel the need to pay the subscription.

statman

The point is for people who are losing interest in our sport, making them pay for wrestling content is making people lose interest faster.
they don't call me statman for nothin