Does anyone have any info on the Badger's injury status?

Started by kabrvi, February 07, 2023, 11:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kabrvi

Especially curious as to how Gomez is doing.  His reaction on the mat after sustaining the injury was one of severe pain and I hope it does not drastically affect his ability to wrestle out the year.

There was also some conjecture that maybe Barnett and Amos were ailing.

Hopefully this latest time off will get them their needed time.

roughandtough

I have no inside information on anything.  Gomez tweeted 5 days ago "Don't count me out."

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Amos got kicked in the back of the knee in the Max Dean / Penn State match. Not sure if that has had a lingering effect.

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

LeftyHeadlock27

Sounds like Gomez will be back not sure how soon but he will be

Vir Fortis

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 08, 2023, 01:35:46 PMAmos got kicked in the back of the knee in the Max Dean / Penn State match. Not sure if that has had a lingering effect.

The NCAA needs to adopt the same rules the NFHS has with regard to the Bow and Arrow, or the "Back Arrow."

It's a submission move, not a pinning move. When you bring that foot to the head like it's a far-side cradle, I don't like it. I don't know if Amos was injured in that move...BUT, Dean does stick his foot in the back of the knee while adjusting.

And I'm not inferring Dean is dirty, it's a legal move, not on him. It's just not a move for our sport. Bow and Arrow where you just keep the turk? That's good and still legal in HS. But that's a big distinction.

bigoil

Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 08, 2023, 11:13:45 PM
Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 08, 2023, 01:35:46 PMAmos got kicked in the back of the knee in the Max Dean / Penn State match. Not sure if that has had a lingering effect.

The NCAA needs to adopt the same rules the NFHS has with regard to the Bow and Arrow, or the "Back Arrow."

It's a submission move, not a pinning move. When you bring that foot to the head like it's a far-side cradle, I don't like it. I don't know if Amos was injured in that move...BUT, Dean does stick his foot in the back of the knee while adjusting.

And I'm not inferring Dean is dirty, it's a legal move, not on him. It's just not a move for our sport. Bow and Arrow where you just keep the turk? That's good and still legal in HS. But that's a big distinction.
Agree that Bow and Arrow has to go away, hurts me watching it.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 08, 2023, 11:13:45 PM

Excellent points. Dean is very very good at it but it is a brutal move. Almost every wrestler that Dean does that to screams out when it happens and limps off the mat. Warner did not look good after Dean got him last year in the dual.

dad 2 5

MUst not be good for Gomez as he did not go again today. Does he get enough matches to qualify now?

Vir Fortis

Quote from: dad 2 5 on February 11, 2023, 05:24:02 PMMUst not be good for Gomez as he did not go again today. Does he get enough matches to qualify now?

He's got the 8 matches required. I'd assume he'll get at least one B1G match in. Not sure I know what you mean by enough to qualify.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Vir Fortis on February 12, 2023, 09:14:39 AM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on February 11, 2023, 05:24:02 PMMUst not be good for Gomez as he did not go again today. Does he get enough matches to qualify now?

He's got the 8 matches required. I'd assume he'll get at least one B1G match in. Not sure I know what you mean by enough to qualify.

OK, for some reason I thought it was more then 8. Maybe they should rest him until the end and hopefully he is fully recovered

roughandtough

I was at the dual against Minn.  I felt like the badger line up looked banged up and was wearing a lot of new tape and braces from the last time they wrestled.  No Gomez-didn't notice a limp when I saw him in street clothing.  Dean with a knee sleeve or brace.  Amos knee taped up.  The way some of the guys looked, I was left wondering if a sickness is in the room.  I felt like Model didn't have the motor he normally has.  Dow, Hillgers looked exhausted, Otto got in on nice shots and couldn't finish.  I think the team will be alright if they can get health.  My 2 cents for what it is worth which probably isn't much.