UW vs Nebraska (1-29-2023)

Started by TomM, January 27, 2023, 09:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlemania

Quote from: asdf on January 29, 2023, 05:07:33 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 29, 2023, 04:03:02 PMat least they won at 133 or it would have been a real rough day

Yeah, Great 2-0 win by the transfer with 1 month left of eligibility vs. the 2-3 years of eligibility kid that can develop.  Plus a couple other 133#ers leaving at the same time.

It almost as if those screaming "durrrr, you don't like the transfers in, win the wrestle off" should be saying, "Gee, maybe these young men are leaving for better opportunities."

Really? What was his record last season? Did he wrestle in the postseason? Hmm? I mean if the point is providing competition to push the wrestlers in the room to get better (otherwise why not just go with 10 student athletes and not have to worry about hurt feelings?) apparently someone didn't want any part of that and apparently caused all sorts of problems in the process of leaving to top it all off. And the end result, he lost 2-0 to his replacement today who hasn't done much better.  Bottom line is while so far UW hasn't done much to upgrade themselves at that weight class, doesn't seem like they've been hurt either.

By the way, if you think for one minute Nebraska is just going to give Burwick the 133 spot for the during of his time in Lincoln because he's Kyle Burwick, think again. I'm sure they want to win in Lincoln as much as they do in Madison and if they think 133 a weak link they'll get a transfer, or recruit some stud to challenege for the spot. What's the difference? One gets the impression they put him in there for revenge and didn't work out too well today, did it?

DocWrestling

UW did the right thing.  They brought in Lamont to create competition/depth and both would have gotten better having each other in the room.  The best would have wrestled this year.  If Lamont wrestled this year Burwick would have been better for next year because Lamont was in the room for this year.

Not the Badgers fault that Burwick decided to bail literally at the last late minute to avoid the competition.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

asdf

Quote from: DocWrestling on January 29, 2023, 08:28:01 PMUW did the right thing.  They brought in Lamont to create competition/depth and both would have gotten better having each other in the room.  The best would have wrestled this year.  If Lamont wrestled this year Burwick would have been better for next year because Lamont was in the room for this year.

Not the Badgers fault that Burwick decided to bail literally at the last late minute to avoid the competition.

I stand corrected.  It is Burwick, Connor Brown, Ethan Rotondo, and Greyson Clark (next year) fault at 133# that they ALL wanted to "avoid competition" against a 30th ranked, one year, Lamont. Definitely not the coaches fault to create a climate that wants these young men wanting to be in the room and stick around for one year.  I am sure it is so much better up and down the entire lineup comparing who came in vs. who left.  133# is just the kids not wanting competition.

Your are right, development is off the charts.  These gains you are talking about is showing right now all up and down the lineup as we hit the time off year when injuries happen and others need to step in.  Again, if these wrestlers don't step up its all their fault not the coaches.  They just don't like competition these days. 

Your right, using the transfer portal as a primary recruiting tool is working.  Bono himself said it himself this summer on a twitter AMA that he wants the team at 34-36 athletes.  Sitting at 28 again this year is just administration and the NIL/NCAA and a "kids these days" fault.  I'm sure its also that UW has such high academic standards unlike NW that Badgers just lost to.

You are also right, it is AWA fault that so few WI kids want to go to one of the best schools in the Midwest like UW.  AWA is MAKING these kids go not only Mizzou, but also IU, Wyoming, CMU, Purdue, NW, MInn, UNI, Ill, Mich, on and on.

You are right, it is all our fault that Badgers have a barely functioning RTC.  We just don't open our wallets. It's not the coaches job to reach out to private donors, fund raise, and establish an RTC/program as well as the coach the kids.  Not like some mid-major school in the middle of nowhere like SDSU where Damion Hahn hasn't done exactly that and has brand new, state of the art facilities.  All with minimal to no school $$.

You are right, its just that these young men just don't like competition that is why Badgers are 1-6 in the Big Ten, 7-7 in duals.

vsmf2010

Quote from: asdf on January 29, 2023, 10:02:08 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on January 29, 2023, 08:28:01 PMUW did the right thing.  They brought in Lamont to create competition/depth and both would have gotten better having each other in the room.  The best would have wrestled this year.  If Lamont wrestled this year Burwick would have been better for next year because Lamont was in the room for this year.

I stand corrected.  It is Burwick, Connor Brown, Ethan Rotondo, and Greyson Clark (next year) fault at 133# that they ALL wanted to "avoid competition" against a 30th ranked, one year, Lamont. Definitely not the coaches fault to create a climate that wants these young men wanting to be in the room and stick around for one year.  I am sure it is so much better up and down the entire lineup comparing who came in vs. who left.  133# is just the kids not wanting competition.

Your are right, development is off the charts.  These gains you are talking about is showing right now all up and down the lineup as we hit the time off year when injuries happen and others need to step in.  Again, if these wrestlers don't step up its all their fault not the coaches.  They just don't like competition these days. 

Your right, using the transfer portal as a primary recruiting tool is working.  Bono himself said it himself this summer on a twitter AMA that he wants the team at 34-36 athletes.  Sitting at 28 again this year is just administration and the NIL/NCAA and a "kids these days" fault.  I'm sure its also that UW has such high academic standards unlike NW that Badgers just lost to.

You are also right, it is AWA fault that so few WI kids want to go to one of the best schools in the Midwest like UW.  AWA is MAKING these kids go not only Mizzou, but also IU, Wyoming, CMU, Purdue, NW, MInn, UNI, Ill, Mich, on and on.

You are right, it is all our fault that Badgers have a barely functioning RTC.  We just don't open our wallets. It's not the coaches job to reach out to private donors, fund raise, and establish an RTC/program as well as the coach the kids.  Not like some mid-major school in the middle of nowhere like SDSU where Damion Hahn hasn't done exactly that and has brand new, state of the art facilities.  All with minimal to no school $$.

You are right, its just that these young men just don't like competition that is why Badgers are 1-6 in the Big Ten, 7-7 in duals.

Did you happen to be at the Iowa dual last weekend? That was the greatest environment I have ever seen at the Field House for a Badger match so I do think there are things headed in a positive direction. Obviously this weekend did not go well but you are correct the Badgers do not have the depth to overcome the loss of of one of the best wrestlers in the country and an injury to another top 15 wrestler.

As far as Greyson Clark. If you know for a fact why he opened up his search and committed to Purdue please share. I have no idea and I wish him the best of luck and will root for him when he is not wrestling the Badgers. Certainly has nothing to do with Lamont. I have no idea what weight he will be in college but the Badgers are fairly deep at 133 and 141 with Bobzien, Rivera, Coy, Zargo, Lettini and Severin. If I am not mistaken Clark de-committed after Rivera committed which is interesting.

Vir Fortis

Wow...he's right about a WHOLE lot of things he never said! This guy is BRILLIANT!!!

I guess pointing out that Burwick transferred because Lamont came in...and then foolishly blamed it on Bono somehow turned into something about Greyson Clark and...a lot of other nonsense.

Again, it's nice that Nebrasaka came out and clarified that it was NOT up to Bono. Per Nebraska "upon determining it would not be possible to receive a NON OPPURTUNITY WAIVER," then it says, the Staffs at Wisconsin and Nebraska worked with the NCAA and granted his appeal. Probably because...well, again, he had the OPPURTUNITY to Wrestle.

QuoteI stand corrected.  It is Burwick, Connor Brown, Ethan Rotondo, and Greyson Clark (next year) fault at 133# that they ALL wanted to "avoid competition" against a 30th ranked, one year, Lamont. Definitely not the coaches fault to create a climate that wants these young men wanting to be in the room and stick around for one year.  I am sure it is so much better up and down the entire lineup comparing who came in vs. who left.  133# is just the kids not wanting competition.

Could have sworn he just mentioned the kid who wrestled vs Wisconsin and lost after transferring this past Summer after the Badgers had the GAUL to bring in a former AA to Wrestle for one year.

Brown literally followed Bono and is on his 3rd school...and his top win this year is over the 49th ranked kid.
Rotondo is 5-11 Wrestling Cal-Poly's schedule and it seems pretty clear heading into his 6th year, he transferred because he couldn't crack the startling lineup.
Greyson Clark never even Wrestled at Wisconsin...so that one is just a baffling reference.

QuoteYour are right, development is off the charts.  These gains you are talking about is showing right now all up and down the lineup as we hit the time off year when injuries happen and others need to step in.  Again, if these wrestlers don't step up its all their fault not the coaches.  They just don't like competition these days. 

Huh? Who...where...what are you talking about? Who made this statement?

Who said "development is off the charts?" It's been pretty good. Not sure I'd say off the charts. Positive the person you're replying to didn't.

QuoteYour right, using the transfer portal as a primary recruiting tool is working.  Bono himself said it himself this summer on a twitter AMA that he wants the team at 34-36 athletes.  Sitting at 28 again this year is just administration and the NIL/NCAA and a "kids these days" fault.  I'm sure its also that UW has such high academic standards unlike NW that Badgers just lost to.

Is that what he said? That using the transfer portal as the "primary recruiting tool" is working? Seems like they brought in the top Freshmen in the Country last year, brought in Amos, one of the top recruits in the class. Rivera, another blue chipper.
They've got a few elite Wrestlers signed to Wrestle on their way. Estrada, but hey, if they're getting even better transfers...awesome. That's a good thing, right?

The transfer portal right now has Lamont(who did beat the one guy who left as a result of transferring over him) and then Gomez, the ONLY Wrestler to ever notch a win vs a Wrestler who already had 3 NCAA Titles under his belt among others, so it seems like it's worked out alright. That Hamiti kid has worked out alright also.

Now, I can't remember, it's proof Bono is bad because of the Cal Poly kids, but when Bono brings IN elite transfers...that's also bad?

I'm not sure what to make of the Northwestern rant, but yes, they lost to the 9th ranked team in the Country this year(they beat them last year)...when the 2nd ranked Wrestler in the Country had to injury default(a likely 9 point swing). Lost a blistering 18-17 match.
QuoteYou are also right, it is AWA fault that so few WI kids want to go to one of the best schools in the Midwest like UW.  AWA is MAKING these kids go not only Mizzou, but also IU, Wyoming, CMU, Purdue, NW, MInn, UNI, Ill, Mich, on and on.

Again with "you're right." Can other people see the person you're talking to?
I don't believe anyone said they were "making" anyone do anything. I believe AWA themselves have publicly discouraged kids from Wrestling at UW...and yet they're still doing a pretty good job recruiting.

QuoteYou are right, its just that these young men just don't like competition that is why Badgers are 1-6 in the Big Ten, 7-7 in duals.

I believe he said that ONE particular student transferred because they brought someone in at his weight class. And the school that Wrestler went to, THEY had a 133 transfer because HE was being recruited over.

But you're right. Wisconsin doesn't have ANY good recruits coming in. A undefeated Soph State Champ from Cali isn't good.
Rivera who beat this years P4P #1 ranked Wrestler on some lists isn't a good recruit.

You're right. These dang transfers that ONLY Wisconsin is utilizing are KILLING the program! We should have told Gross, Gomez and others not to bother! We don't want any hurt feelings and we're more worried about feelings than improving the team!

---Man, this strawman game is fun! I just get to pretend you said something, then argued against the absuridity of it and I-CAN'T-LOSE!!!

Brilliant!

Vir Fortis

I don't fault Burwick for leaving. He wasn't having the type of career he expected...a change of scenery can help you sometimes...they did recruit over him.

Just don't blame it on Bono when you didn't know the rules and didn't decide to transfer until after Lamont comes.

He's a kid, he was emotional. Manning, his parents, them running their mouth was pretty silly. Especially Manning as he should know the facts.

leg turk

It doesn't seem like these dual results are any different than when Barry was coaching. Different coach, same results.

MNbadger

" UW did the right thing.  They brought in Lamont to create competition/depth and both would have gotten better having each other in the room.  The best would have wrestled this year.  If Lamont wrestled this year Burwick would have been better for next year because Lamont was in the room for this year.

Not the Badgers fault that Burwick decided to bail literally at the last late minute to avoid the competition."
I would think there was enough competition in the UW room to get better.  I am sure there is enough competition in the Nebraska room to get better as well.  So he has the competition to get better AND he starts for the Huskers and he is still in the Big Ten. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Vir Fortis

Quote from: MNbadger on January 30, 2023, 10:32:03 PM" UW did the right thing.  They brought in Lamont to create competition/depth and both would have gotten better having each other in the room.  The best would have wrestled this year.  If Lamont wrestled this year Burwick would have been better for next year because Lamont was in the room for this year.

Not the Badgers fault that Burwick decided to bail literally at the last late minute to avoid the competition."
I would think there was enough competition in the UW room to get better.  I am sure there is enough competition in the Nebraska room to get better as well.  So he has the competition to get better AND he starts for the Huskers and he is still in the Big Ten. 

Right...but it's not like they went out and got Spencer Lee or...a kid like Real Woods who you just knew Burwick couldn't compete with. They went and added a kid who was a little better, little more accomplished, but it was still well within Burwick's grasp to earn the spot at '33 and if not, he had two more years left(though I do think Rivera CAN be a stud).

But Wrestlers have the right to make their own decision(all athletes do). As I said, maybe just a new room was what he thought was best. Lets just get the facts right about the "waiver" and how it was not up to Bono to sign and how it wasn't the Badgers who were refusing to allow him to compete. That's just-not-true.